Ken Follett Fans discussion

Standalone Books > Whiteout

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 142 comments Mod
Whiteout by Ken Follett
"A missing canister of a deadly virus. A lab technician bleeding from the eyes. Toni Gallo, the security director of a Scottish medical research firm, knows she has problems, but she has no idea of the nightmare to come.

As a Christmas Eve blizzard whips out of the north, several people converge on a remote family house. Stanley Oxenford, the research company’s director, has everything riding on the drug he is developing to fight the virus – but he isn’t the only one: His grown children, who have come to spend Christmas, have their eyes on the money it will bring.

Toni Gallo, forced to resign from the police department in disgrace, is betting her career on keeping the drug safe; a local television reporter, determined to move up, has sniffed the story, even if he has to bend the facts to tell it; and a violent trio of thugs is on its way to steal it for a client already waiting – though what the client really has in mind is something that will shock them all.

As the storm worsens, the emotional sparks – jealousies, distrust, sexual attraction, rivalries – crackle; desperate secrets are revealed; hidden traitors and unexpected heroes emerge ..."
-From Follett's website

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments I quite liked this one. Not his best, but it was different and the suspense was there, all the way. It was as if I was watching a movie.

message 3: by Heather (new)

I got excited when the movie Whiteout came out and then realized it wasn't the same thing. I was bummed for a while.

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments Heather wrote: "I got excited when the movie Whiteout came out and then realized it wasn't the same thing. I was bummed for a while."

Was it based on the book or not at all? I live in South Africa, so we only get the mainstream movies here.

message 5: by Heather (new)

No, it was completely different.

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments Oops ... :) Ja, the movies usually suck anyway - I would much rather read the books. Did you watch the mini-series of Pillars - apparently it showed in the USA. We won't get it in South Africa.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Own it, haven't watched it. I need to put down a book long enough to watch it.

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments Heather wrote: "Own it, haven't watched it. I need to put down a book long enough to watch it."

I understand. :)

message 9: by Gary Scott (new)

Gary Scott Gebert (garyscottgebert) | 6 comments Another superb novel from Follett.

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments blynd_poet wrote: "Another superb novel from Follett."

indeed yes!!

message 11: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 10 comments I finished this one recently and really liked it. I thought the characters were great, and even though I pretty much knew how it would turn out I couldn't put it down!

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments yes, hard to put a ken follett down ... ;)

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin I finished Whiteout over a year ago and I can still remember the plot and characters which is rare for me.
The author has a way of creating memorable landscapes and I feel now as if I actually watched this book on film. Does that make sense?

message 14: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments yes, i totally agree with you. i never see the detail of faces when i'm reading. i see bodies and hair and the surroundings etc. but with ken follett, i can see every detail of every face. :)

message 15: by Adri (new)

Adri (adriwinckler) | 10 comments I agree Julia and Kevin. He definitely paints with words. But I still prefer his historical fiction to the suspense stuff.

message 16: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments i agree

message 17: by Marius (new)

Marius | 20 comments This book was really great. Was abit sceptical at first... No historical drama or anything. Turned out to be brilliant, though.

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments hard to say something bad about a ken follett book ... :)