Ken Follett Fans discussion

Standalone Books > Jackdaws

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 142 comments Mod
Jackdaws by Ken Follett
"D-Day is approaching. They don't know where or when, but the Germans know it'll be soon, and for Felicity “Flick” Clariet, the stakes have never been higher.

A senior agent in the ranks of the Special Operations Executive (SOE) responsible for sabotage, Flick has survived to become one of Britain's most effective operatives in Northern France. She knows that the Germans' ability to thwart the Allied attack depends upon their lines of communications, and in the days before the invasion no target is of greater strategic importance than the largest telephone exchange in Europe.

But when Flick and her Resistance-leader husband try a direct, head-on assault that goes horribly wrong, her world turns upside down. Her group destroyed, her husband missing, her superiors unsure of her, her own confidence badly shaken, she has one last chance at the target, but the challenge, once daunting, is now near-impossible.

The new plan requires an all-woman team, none of them professionals, to be assembled and trained within days. Code-named the Jackdaws, they will attempt to infiltrate the exchange under the noses of the Germans – but the Germans are waiting for them now and have plans of their own. There are secrets Flick does not know – secrets within the German ranks, secrets among her hastily-recruited team, secrets among those she trusts the most. And as the hours tick down to the point of no return, most daunting of all, there are secrets within herself...."
-From Follett's website

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments Really enjoyed this one as well. OK - I'm going to say something positive about all his books - I'm a bit of a Ken Follett freak, as you may start to realize. :)

message 3: by Heather (new)

This was one of my favorites. I'd say #5 out of all of his books for me. Until more come out, that is...

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments Heather wrote: "This was one of my favorites. I'd say #5 out of all of his books for me. Until more come out, that is..."

Hard to choose hey??

message 5: by Gary Scott (new)

Gary Scott Gebert (garyscottgebert) | 6 comments I have admit this is my favorite Follett novel.

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments blynd_poet wrote: "I have admit this is my favorite Follett novel."

so hard to say, they're all so good!!

message 7: by Heather (last edited Oct 24, 2011 10:29PM) (new)

This is definitely in my top 5, but then I've already said that... :)

message 8: by Keith (new)

Keith | 1 comments read this few years ago now and still one off his best i think though there all good

message 9: by Marius (new)

Marius | 20 comments Read this during christmas 2011. That year, we were up in the mountains, where I was supposed to go skiing... Yeah right

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments how did you 'discover' ken follett marius?

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric (egblueseude) | 1 comments I don't know if I can rank my KF faves, but this one was up there if only for the cool story tucked into a WWII setting. I thought it very believable and very thrilling.

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments yes, i know what you mean eric - hard to 'rate' it ... ;)

message 13: by Marius (new)

Marius | 20 comments Sorry for late answer Julia.. In June 2011 we were supposed to work somewhere for a week to feel what grown-up life was like, and I chose the local book store as I had discovered reading 6 months before. When I finished, they gave me a book (we weren't allowed any monetary payment). I saw this big, fat book on a shelf that had something to do with WWI and since I've always had an interest in history I picked it. And so I read Fall of Giants. Then I was smitten.

message 14: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments so cool man !! glad that you discovered reading !!