Ken Follett Fans discussion

Standalone Books > A Place Called Freedom

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 142 comments Mod
A Place Called Freedom by Ken Follett

"Hidden by a Scottish river bank in the winter of 1767, Lizzie Hallim watches a naked figure emerging from the icy water. Mack McAsh is a slave and Lizzie is helping him escape. Mack challenges the mighty Jamisson family, which enslaves whole families to work their mine. Mack soon finds himself wrongly sentenced to death. Rescued from hanging, he is transported to America, where he continues to struggle for freedom..."
-From Follett's website

message 2: by Dick (new)

Dick Edwards (RamblinWreck) | 16 comments I loved this book (read Dec2008)!!! It was basically 3 books in one, set in the late 18th century: (1) the coal mines and mining industry of Scotland; (2) industrial London, focusing mainly on the unloading of coal; and (3) colonial America, and the push to escape to, and populate, the frontier. One learns not only the technology of mining coal in that era, but also the terrible conditions that the miners had to endure to earn a living. Then in London, one learns about the intrigue and conditions involved in the unloading of coal, following the same main character that was followed in Scotland. He gets captured on a trumped-up charge, and is lucky enough to be sent to America as an indentured servant, where he eventually escapes to try the frontier life. He has been romantically yearning for the same girl throughout all 3 sections, and finally links with her in the end.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnaenden) | 17 comments I am currently reading this book and am loving it...another page turner from Ken Follett. The first books I read from this author where Pillars of the Earth, World without end, and the fall of giants..which were all very good 5 stars so I had to read some of his other works and this is the first and I have not been disappointed yet.

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments I finished this today and as always, it was very good!! It took me a while to read it as I was extremely busy with other things, but I enjoyed every word. This weekend I just decided to finish it - wow, what an amazing book!!

message 5: by Heather (last edited Oct 25, 2011 11:25AM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 142 comments Mod
It was difficult for me to switch gears after reading the WWI/WWII books in a row, but once I got into it it was good. I don't think it was a favorite of mine, but I'm not sad to have read it.

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) | 167 comments Heather wrote: "It was difficult for me to switch gears after reading the WW/WWII books in a row, but once I got into it it was good. I don't think it was a favorite of mine, but I'm not sad to have read it."

Yes, it is a bit of a change hey.