Amazon Kindle discussion

Transferring K2 to a K3

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 22 comments I am receiving the K3 as an early birthday present (not going to ship for a few days) and I am wondering if anybody knows how easy it is to transfer all the stuff I have on my K2 to my K3. I figure I just de-register it but does all my old stuff on my K2 go to my K3..or what. I know I want it all to transfer and than I am going to clear off everything on my K2 and give it my youngest sister for Christmas.

Any experience?

message 2: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Don't deregister your K2 until you're all happy with the K3.

Hook up K2 to your computer, Drag all the files from the documents section of your K2 to your hard drive.

When the K3 comes, hook that up to the computer and do the opposite, drag all the files into the documents folder on the k3.

only takes a couple of minutes.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 367 comments nooo!!! you can't just drag and drop files from your old kindle to your new if they were purchased from Amazon...each one is specifically encoded to that kindle!!

when you get your new kindle and it has been registered you should show a link that says archives...in that is every book you have purchased from Amazon...so you can add them at will...all at once or as you read them! For non-amazon purchases, you can just drag and drop from your K2 to your new K3

Ralph Gallagher | 327 comments Mod
Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "nooo!!! you can't just drag and drop files from your old kindle to your new if they were purchased from Amazon...each one is specifically encoded to that kindle!!

when you get your new kindle an..."

Yeah, I had tried this when the screen went wonky on my Kindle 2. I tried to just sent the files from the broken one to the new one and it refused to cooperate. You can either download them all from Amazon to your computer and transfer that way, or you can download them from "Archived Items" on the Kindle itself.

message 5: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I did that from my K1 to my new DXG, and again to my new K3, worked just dandy. (there were about a half-dozen files that I had to re-download from the archives, but those where the exception rather than the rule. Kindle data, IMHO is keyed to your account, not to the individual device.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 367 comments it might have been that you had a lot of freebies and indie stuff that isn't necessarily DRM's (anyone using the DTP through Amazon can opt to make their stuff DRM's or not)...however, the majority of the stuff cannot be transferred from one to the other...you can have multiple kindles registered to the same account, but the information is encoded to each one specifically...that is how they tell if you are using the up to 6 licenses that each book might be alloted