Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Upcoming Book Releases > October 2010

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments We'll start with the original October list:

October 2010
Alexander, Tasha.........Dangerous to Know
Ayoob, Michael...........In Search of Mercy (debut)
Cannell, Stephen J.......The Prostitute's Ball
Carl, Joanna.............The Chocolate Pirate Plot
Child, Lee...............Worth Dying For
Coleman, Reed Farrel.....Innocent Monster
Connolly, Michael........The Reversal
Corby, Gary..............The Pericles Commission (debut)
deSilva, Bruce...........Rogue Island
Flynn, Vince.............American Assassin
Gorman, Ed...............Stranglehold
Childs, Laura............Fiber & Brimstone
LeCarre, John............Our Kind of Traitor
Muller, Marcia...........Coming Back (Sharon McCone)
Westerson, Jeri..........The Demon's Parchment
Rucka, Greg..............The Last Run
Robb, J D................Indulgence in Death

Notable October Paperbacks
Pinter, Jason............The Invited
Gagnon, Michelle.........Racing the Devil
Hamilton, Barbara........A Marked Man (Abigail Adams)
Lutz, John...............Mr. X
Schwartz, Stephen Jay....Beat

Neville, Stuart..........Collusion (sequel to Ghosts of Belfast)
Penzler, Otto (editors)..The Best American Noir of the Century

ADDITIONS:
Bell, Ted.............Warlord
Davidson, Hilary......The Damage Done
Hart, Carolyn.........Ghost in Trouble(Bailey Wiggins)
Jacobson, Alan........Velocity
Johansen, Iris........Chasing the Night (Eve Duncan)
Leonard, Elmore.......Djibouti
Spenser, Robert B.....Painted Ladies (Spenser)
Quinn, Spencer........To Fetch a Thief
Rozan, S J............On the Line (Lydia/Bill)
Zuicker/Swierczynski..Dark Prophecy(Level 26)
Khoury, Raymond.......The Templar Salvation
Balzo, Sandra.........A Cup of Joe
Carl, Joanna..........The Chocolate Pirate Plot
Challis, Joanna.......Peril at Somner House (Daphne Du Maurier)

John Grisham's The Confession is on some lists for October, some for November. I'll have to chack the release date,

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Looking forward to PAINTED LADIES.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments I am looking forward to the new Rozan book, On the Line! (Lydia/Bill)

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Ann wrote: "I am looking forward to the new Rozan book, On the Line! (Lydia/Bill)"

so am i, ann!

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3115 comments I have also advance ordered the Rozan. I am expecting a treat.

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Barry wrote: "I have also advance ordered the Rozan. I am expecting a treat."

i went to pick up the new sandford book and they had on the line waiting for me, too. a nice surprise!

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments I am curious about the new Elmore Leonard book, Djibouti. The plot doesn't exactly call to me, but Leonard is such a master at characters and dialogue that I'm still tempted.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Got THE REVERSAL today on my kindle...can't wait to start it!!!

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3794 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Got THE REVERSAL today on my kindle...can't wait to start it!!!"

i am waiting for my copy to come from the library. the kindle version was either the same price, or more , than the hardcover. totally irked me..lol

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Sherry:
I share your irked feeling. ;)

Sherry wrote: "i am waiting for my copy to come from the library. the kindle version was either the same price, or more , than the hardcover. totally irked me..lol ."

message 11: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Got THE REVERSAL today on my kindle...can't wait to start it!!!"

I am jealous! Of both the Kindle and The Reversal!

message 12: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments Sherry wrote: "Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Got THE REVERSAL today on my kindle...can't wait to start it!!!"

i am waiting for my copy to come from the library. the kindle version was either the same price, or mor..."

Add me to the irked list...why is the kindle version more than HB? I'll probably buy the kindle version just because I'm trying to downsize my book collection, but it is annoying to pay more! When I got my kindle almost all the books were $9.99. I almost feel like it is a bait and switch!

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Joyce...why don't you wait to purchase The Reversal on Kindle? The price may drop closer to 9.99 as sales increase...new releases on day 1 are often priced above 9.99, in this case 14.99, to catch hardcore fans like me who aren't patient or willing to wait. Often prices go down...at least this has been my experience over the last 18 months.

message 14: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3673 comments I think I can answer that question alot of people were complaining of that happening with the nook. And how when the price changes from hc to pb at times then the ereader price stays the same. And someone I guess from B&N came back and said it's because the publisher sets the price for the ebook and usually they don't change the price when the book goes down in price. I guess it depends in the long run on the publisher I've seem some books lower but they are also older books. Not saying you couldn't get it cheaper at a ubs or library sale. You just have to check the prices and see which is a better savings. I haven't been to a bookstore in weeks. And I know I resisted alot when the last went. I don't think I bought any book. I kept thinking remember how many you have already and that it's cheaper on the nook. Well that is okay if I don't intend to share the book. As it stands I haven't even bought anything lately on the nook. I have a wish list going but I figured I get a free book or more than 1 each week. Which I don't count since it's free. when I finish the book I'm reading then I'll buy one off the wish list. I figured I finished The passage and I'll finish another then I get to buy one. And I decided not to continue with the B&N membership. It doesn't let you use it towards e books so why keep it. Later if I decide to do it again I can always get it again then.

message 15: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Joyce...why don't you wait to purchase The Reversal on Kindle? The price may drop closer to 9.99 as sales increase...new releases on day 1 are often priced above 9.99, in this case 14.99, to catch..."

Good point Mary! I tend to buy certain authors (MC included) as soon as they come out, but I should be more patient. I certainly have plenty of other books piled up to read!

message 16: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Add me to the waiting for price to drop bench. I'm holding fast to my mini-rebellion against higher ebook prices, especially since I have plenty of other things to read. Just downloaded the audio of Fall of Angels since the kindle price is outrageous and the DTB is too heavy to handle,

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "new releases on day 1 are often priced above 9.99, in this case 14.99, to catch hardcore fans like me who aren't patient or willing to wait. Often prices go down...at least this has been my experience over the last 18 months. ..."

I was just going to post the same thing. The theory I heard was that initially the electronic version is priced at or near the hardcover price (at least the discounted, amazon-type price) so a lower price doesn't undercut the hardcover sales, which peak in the first month or so of release, when, as MQC says, people who don't want to wait do their buying. Then when HC sales tape off the digital price is lowered, because those are the sales that will continue at a steady basis.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Marcy:
Exactly. I used to preorder all of my favorite author's new books, now I see no advantage to a preorder since the price may drop by the time I am ready to read a new book on my Kindle. A "First edition" Kindle copy that is $3-5 dollars higher than it may be later is not a good deal. ;(.

Marcy wrote: "Add me to the waiting for price to drop bench. I'm holding fast to my mini-rebellion against higher ebook prices, especially since I have plenty of other things to read. Just downloaded the audio of Fall of Angels since the kindle price is outrageous and the DTB is too heavy to handle. "