Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Ontario to legalize prostitution?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Whatever, there are going to be prostitutes whether it's legal or not, may as well make it safer for everyone...and cleaner.

message 2: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) While we're at it, lets legalize pot and just tax the hell out of it like cigarettes. It'd save tons of time and money, even make a little more for education etc...

That stepping-stone drug stuff is BS, and pot-heads are too lazy to commit much in the way of crime. They can't even be bothered to cook food before they eat it.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think Ontario's going in that direction as well.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I always thought that prostitution should be legalized. Like Amelia said, it will make it safer and cleaner for everyone.

Legalization of pot is on its way I believe.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It's interesting to me that Ontario - in many ways more conservative than the US - is socially so progressive.

I love Ontario.

message 6: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Barb wrote: "Amelia wrote: "While we're at it, lets legalize pot and just tax the hell out of it like cigarettes. It'd save tons of time and money, even make a little more for education etc...

That stepping..."

I think we may have been separated at birth, Barb.

message 7: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) The whole legalization thing is based on providing a safe working environment for sex workers, but also to curtail the amount of sex slaves working underground. At least that's my hope.

Personally, I've never associated with prostitution in any way, but I think we're at the time where we need to dispense with the antiquated notions of prostitution and acknowledge there are real people working in this so-called industry, who are entitled to the same protections we give any other worker anywhere else.

So, yay for Ontario. I've always loved that place. Still do.

message 8: by Meels (last edited Sep 29, 2010 11:58AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Do the prostitutes in Vegas get medical benefits? Retirement? Matching? Paid vacation? I wonder how many hours a week they have to put in to get benies?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24388 comments Mod
I find the whole notion of prostitution very sad, but I agree with Gus that you have to look at the reality of the situation and deal with it from there. Ignoring the work conditions and treatment of these women is not a good alternative.

On the flip side, will good working conditions and protections draw more women into prostitution? I can't see how that would be a good thing.

message 10: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I doubt that "good working conditions" are going to draw a lot more women into prostitution. I just don't see it as that kind of profession, where the benefits package swings the deal.

message 11: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I could be wrong.

message 12: by Meels (last edited Sep 29, 2010 01:17PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Well, let's see...pay the electric bill, or the hooker? Hmmmmm.

message 13: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Heh...package.

message 14: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments Congratulations, Barb. You're now living in Sin City.

When can we visit?

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments Visit? Most of us have had permanent residency for years.