V.C. Andrews discussion

Other "Gothic" Authors?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jody (new)

Jody | 85 comments Mod
I was wondering if anyone has found another writer that pens any thing close to V.C. Andrews. I'm also wondering if you know of any other good Gothic novels? :)

message 2: by Roxane (new)

Roxane Sanford (roxanetepfersanford) | 18 comments humm...I think it would be safe to say, "me"(according to many reviews):).

message 3: by Roxane (new)

Roxane Sanford (roxanetepfersanford) | 18 comments here is a link that shares some other V.C. Andrews gothic style books as well as mine, http://www.completevca.com/links.shtml

message 4: by Jody (new)

Jody | 85 comments Mod
I added your books to my list already. :P I'll have to have a look at those links as well. :)

message 5: by Roxane (new)

Roxane Sanford (roxanetepfersanford) | 18 comments Oh... thanks!!! :0)

message 6: by Jody (new)

Jody | 85 comments Mod
Just gotta get myself some copies. :)

message 7: by Roxane (new)

Roxane Sanford (roxanetepfersanford) | 18 comments They're available on ebook (money saver!), as well as in print. :}
I do appreciate your interest. I think you will like the series (especially of you love Flowers in the Attic as much as I do).

message 8: by Jody (new)

Jody | 85 comments Mod
Are you planning to write more?

message 9: by Roxane (new)

Roxane Sanford (roxanetepfersanford) | 18 comments I am working on two currently (one is a new series), and have the prequel to the Arrington series to be released next year.

message 10: by Jody (new)

Jody | 85 comments Mod
I'm looking forward to both. :D

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 9 comments I just bought The Girl In the Lighthouse, I will probably start it today or tomorrow. Very excited...it looks awesome.

message 12: by Roxane (new)

Roxane Sanford (roxanetepfersanford) | 18 comments Hi Lauren,
I don't think you'll be disappointed! If you enjoyed FiTA, you will like, The Girl in the Lighthouse! :)
I'd love to hear what you think of it when you finish.

Thank you for your support!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 9 comments I just finished The Girl in the Lighthouse and loved it! I will be purchasing All that is Beautiful very soon!

message 14: by Jody (new)

Jody | 85 comments Mod
Roxane, do you design your own book covers?

message 15: by Roxane (new)

Roxane Sanford (roxanetepfersanford) | 18 comments Jody--Yes, I do!
Lauren--Thank you!!!

:)

message 16: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Cannon (tasha326) | 10 comments I just joined this group and was looking at the posts and i have to say i have not found anyone like V.C Andrews she had been my favorite ever since i first picked up flowers in the attic when i was like 10. Lol a bit to young to be reading that book but i loved it! I own every book except for her new ones! Roxane i jus took a look at your site and your book looks really good.. I am looking forward to picking up a copy of it and reading it! It would be great to have another great author to follow!

message 17: by Roxane (new)

Roxane Sanford (roxanetepfersanford) | 18 comments Hello Natasha,

Welcome to the V.C. Andrews group. We are definitely some of her biggest fans (of her original works, especially!)

I’m pleased to know you’re interested in reading my novels. I think you’ll enjoy them.

message 18: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Cannon (tasha326) | 10 comments Yes it seems really good! Cant wait till i get a copy!

message 19: by Christina (last edited Jan 06, 2011 09:41AM) (new)

Christina | 4 comments Hi, all. I'm new to this group, and glad to have found it.

There is a gothic book group here, btw.

A few titles come to mind, although I wouldn't categorize most of these as gothics. I'll give that some more thought, but perhaps start with Victoria Holt and early Phyllis A. Whitney.

Rabecca, by Daphne du Maurier - It's a classic gothic, and must be read. :) I find Garden of Shadows to be reminiscent of this book. There's also a fabulous sequel, "Rebecca's Tale" by Sally Beauman.

Secret Lives, by Diane Chamberlain.
- Two stories in one, as a woman learns about her deceased mother's reclusive life, while dealing with her own current-day personal concerns.

Garden of Lies, by Eileen Goudge - about two girls, switched at birth. Follows them through to adulthood and the revealing of the secre. Nice, complete saga in a single book!

Inheritance, by Judith Michael.

Such Devoted Sisters, by Eileen Goudge

Keeper of the Light, by Diane Chamberlain

Wideacre, and Meridon, by Philippa Gregory (two in a trilogy, although I personally think the second book should be skipped. You can read the two I've mentioned in either order. I actually read Meridon, the 3rd book, first.)

And I have the following book, but haven't read it yet, although it sounds like it should appeal to fans of Cathy, and FITA.

The Splendor Falls
by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Synopsis:
Sylvie Davis is a ballerina who can't dance, she lost everything important to her in one missed step.

Uprooting her from her Manhattan apartment, and shipping her to Alabama is her mother's solution for Sylvie's unhappiness. But life might not be any more simple down south. As it turns out, her family has a lot more history than Sylvie ever knew. More unnerving, though, are the two guys that she can't stop thinking about.

Then Sylvie starts seeing things. A girl down by the lake. A man peering into the window. And a graveyard with an oddly placed headstone. Sylvie's lost nearly everything—is she starting to lose her mind as well?

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 9 comments Christina,
Thanks for your list of books! I just finished Rebecca for the first time and really enjoyed it. I also bought The Slendor Falls and will be reading it soon. Thanks again for your ideas!

message 21: by Vir (new)

Vir I don't know if you would term this a " gothic" book, but VC Andrews sprang to mind after reading this one.
See Jane Run by Joy Fielding.