My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

Issues > Religion in public schools

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Reigion, as you all kno, is NOT allowed to be publically expressed at public schools. For example, kids cant pray or say God's name without a severe punishment. I find that stupid and to be quite blunt, dumb and unfair, because its called FREEDOM OF RELIGION!!!

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie yea thats fine :)

And yes, teachers can use the Bible as that, but some students somehow feel 'offended' (like if they r jewish) so they go tell their parents and teachers cant do that as much or as openly anymore, which is freaking stupid. If the parents dont want their kid to see other kids praying and talking about God, move them somewhere else or homeschool, becuase its NOt that hard to do so. And students still get punished for doing that, its Always happening, but not as much because they are aware of the consequences.

message 3: by Courtney (last edited Sep 28, 2010 07:12PM) (new)

Courtney | 336 comments ^ as a Texan I don't think religion (esp. and maybe on Christianity)
are left out at all.

My english teacher plays hillsong (christian band) whenever we have to write essays, she also taught us the kaddish when we read Night

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments I think that public schools should offer comparative religion courses. Nothing that would preach one religion as ultimate truth, but something to help students understand other belief systems. Religion, for better or worse, plays an enormous role in all of our lives, and it is important to understand it.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments Not at the school I used to go to, but that may have been because we had the smallest budget in the state. (Even though we had the best MCAS scores)

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments News stations are crying out that Texas took out the Islamic section in textbooks

Where is this section, I've never seen it

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments ^ because he " " with his slave

message 8: by Courtney (last edited Sep 30, 2010 08:43PM) (new)

Courtney | 336 comments Sorry if that wasn't clear, I meant that having sex with his slave doesn't mean that he wasn't one of the most brillent men in history, I used " " to be sarcastic

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments no, most of the founding fathers were deist and I really could care less

I wonder if Glen Beck knows his heros are deist

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments Nattie *PROUD* wrote: "Reigion, as you all kno, is NOT allowed to be publically expressed at public schools. For example, kids cant pray or say God's name without a severe punishment. I find that stupid and to be quite b..."

What? Is this just America? Cos that's stupid.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 95 comments Yeah, but Nattie said kids.

message 13: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) no kids are allowed saying whatever they want (when it comes to religion) and depending on where you live there may even be certain Christian orientated classes that are optional.

message 14: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments That takes the point out of freedom of religion which is the whole reason why we are in America today!

message 15: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments I'm commenting on the general topic...

message 16: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) Well yeah I guess kids shouldn't stand up in the middle of class and start preaching about their god. But really (at least were I am) Religion being talked about in school is not a huge deal, Like I said there is an optional during school activity (I thinks its called club crossroads) that kids can go and learn stuff about the bible. (its only in elementary school and for some reason I never joined it)

message 17: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments Yeah... Sorry... I just thought I'd put my thoughts out there...

*Mrs. Brightside* Nattie *PROUD* wrote: "Reigion, as you all kno, is NOT allowed to be publically expressed at public schools. For example, kids cant pray or say God's name without a severe punishment. I find that stupid and to be quite b..."

...No one gets punished here.

message 19: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments ...

*Mrs. Brightside* ...Is something wrong?

message 21: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments I think America is pretty loose with no religion in schools, I'm sure in other countries this mandate is much more strictly adhered to

message 22: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments Or they do teach it and anyone who goes against it is hung in the village square...

message 23: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!! But in the South it's obvious you aren't hung in the village square... Everyone knows that! In the South you are soaked in moonshine and sent running through the woods drunk... The you are hunted like a raccoon... Duh!!!!!!!!!!

message 24: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments Moonshine is not beer... I should know... We have a still in our backyard right next to our outhouse

message 25: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments What moonshine? Yur dern tootin' Ah we do love our South do we not?

message 26: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments And would I happen to be one of those "rednecks"?

message 27: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments Ha ha... No, no, no (left turn! Another left turn!), and no but my grandfather used to make jokes about blacks... He was a cop in the 1960's so of course he was racist... His joke was 2 points for every black person you run over (he said the n word but...)

And please don't use this against me because I don't agree with it at all...

message 28: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments I have an Achmed doll... He talks and everything... So you play the game too? Meaning you won't use it against me? Is that ever weird?

message 29: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments My mom did that once... My mom is... bigger and we saw this girl jogging and my mom was like "Skinny little heffer. She gets to come jogging everyday but I have to work. --swerve--" THE GIRL WAS LISTENING TO MUSIC AND HAD NO CLUE!!!!!!!!

*Mrs. Brightside* Lol, wow!

message 31: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments Nice huh?

*Mrs. Brightside* Of course it was XD someone ran me over before. I swear the person was blind.

message 33: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments Oh my gosh really...

*Mrs. Brightside* Haha, yeah(; it was...I didn't get hurt that bad.

message 35: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments Okay good.

*Mrs. Brightside* I probably would've been screwed if I fell off the car. My arm was sore..ack, bad day :[

message 37: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments My grandma is a racist :(, she told me that school's should still be segregated :(

*Mrs. Brightside* You should hear the things my brother says. He's horrible /:

message 39: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments My family up to my generation is ALL racist. Then me and my sisters are like "...Do you not realize your views are extremely outdated?"

And, as someone who lives in an extremely liberal town, the teachers may have religious clubs (and atheist clubs), they may bring up and discuss religion in class (we have a class about the Bible!)...only thing you can't do is force your faith on people. Again, this is a very liberal town...so...I don't see where Nattie would be talking about.

*Mrs. Brightside* ...Holy.. I think my brother is bipolar (like me(:) and I have no clue what that other word is (what is it?) and heck no techno!

*Mrs. Brightside* WOW! He must be interesting..

message 42: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments ... I thought I was the only one with family problems!

message 43: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments Ha yay!!!!!!!!! I can be with my own kind here...

message 44: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 107 comments Love is not an emotion. Love is not a condition. I'd say it is much more like a sickness. The end results are never good. Love only results in sadness and having your heart broken. Take my word for it. I should know. He did it to me. He made me feel like this. Sick... Love sick... He was not mine but I was his. I was his and still am in my mind. I've learned that this life is based on reality and in reality he didn't care for me. My love was and is unrequited. A part of my heart will always be his so when my heart heals and I give it to you there will be a piece missing. Don't waste your time trying to find it because he has it, and he doesn't even know he does.

Tell me what you think... I just wrote this... Off topic I know but sorry... Be honest...

*Mrs. Brightside* WTF? The end results for love don't always in badly.

message 46: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments This reminds me of a very similar quote, that was written by a married man with kids. Ironic....

*Mrs. Brightside* ): the married man wasn't in love anymore?

message 48: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments I have no idea!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments The Fox Princess wrote: "Love is not an emotion. Love is not a condition. I'd say it is much more like a sickness. The end results are never good. Love only results in sadness and having your heart broken. Take my word for..."

Love is a wonderful thing, and though it invariably ends in loss, I could never imagine considering it a sickness.

message 50: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments It's a hormone disorder angled at one specific person. :P

« previous 1 3