Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Totally Off Topic > If vampires were real...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 107 comments being like the Hallows Series by Kim Harrison would be pretty kewl. except i don't know how keen i am on living vampires. I also think The Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost plays it pretty close.

message 2: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments I would imagine Night Huntress series. But maybe I just really, really, really want Bones to be real :)

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Smiley1881) I'm thinking I would be terrified with any of them being real but I would have to pick the BDB because they don't feed off humans. lol

message 4: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "I would imagine Night Huntress series. But maybe I just really, really, really want Bones to be real :)"

LOL I agree.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 107 comments @ Andrea LMAO .... i really wish Bones was real too! Kinda sad that these books get a girls expectations up so high and then we see reality. and that kinda sucks sometimes.

message 6: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments I know, right? Like there's any guy out there who could compete with Bones. . . sigh. :)

message 7: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 453 comments Like the Twilight vampires! Then they'd be all sparkly & awesome & feed off of animals-not humans!- & play baseball & always have to fight the urge to kill the women they love! *sighs* Totally cool! Why aren't all vampires made like that? Most vampires I read about are scary & have super long fangs & are not virgins. But TWILIGHT vampires are cute & cuddly & they love like possessive stalkers people who really care about that special person.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "I would imagine Night Huntress series. But maybe I just really, really, really want Bones to be real :)"

Yes if I had a Bones in my life I would never leave the bedroom! LOL

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 107 comments i never understood what was wrong with vampires drinking human blood. we eat cows right? same thing. who is lesser on the food chain always gets eaten.

message 10: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ wrote: "ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "I would imagine Night Huntress series. But maybe I just really, really, really want Bones to be real :)"

Yes if I had a Bones in my life I would never leave the bedroom! LOL"

I would, just to experience Bones in other places, LMAO! Bones in the Stairwell, up against a tree, maybe in the back of a truck, a boat, another country?. . . see posibilites :)

message 11: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Elizabeth wrote: "i never understood what was wrong with vampires drinking human blood. we eat cows right? same thing. who is lesser on the food chain always gets eaten."

Ya but if you walked up to a cow and sucked out it's blood, I could see somethign wrong with that, ya know.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 107 comments no. i don't get it. cause those twi vampires ARE walking up to cows and drinking their blood. so i don't see how you think either is better. we do what is natural to survive. drinking blood for vampires is how they survive. even in those book they showed how much they craved it and wanted to do it.
they had to try SO hard to resist. but in the end you do whats natural.

message 13: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments ok, didn't get that that was purely a twilight reference.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I agree with Elizabeth that in reality there is no difference between eating flesh (as we do) and drinking blood other than we have come to accept one and not the other. The DIFFERENCE is the HUMAN blood factor.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ wrote: "ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "I would imagine Night Huntress series. But maybe I just really, really, really want Bones to be real :)"

Yes if I had a Bones in my life I would n..."

LMAO yes! I would have Bones any and everywhere I could.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 411 comments But, humans are sentient beings, where as animals are not. Could you bring yourself to eat beef if you knew that you could have an inteeligen conversation with a cow, or that that cow had a whole culture and civilization of its own separate from ours?

I would want the BDB vamps to be real, that way there is more of a chance that Wrath can toss over Beth and realize that I would be a much better shellan LOL

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 442 comments I dunno, it seems like in all those world for every "good" vampire like Bones & the Cullens, there are many, many "bad" vampires doing damage to humanity.

As much as I'd also like a Bones, Eric Northman, Cullen guy, Kisten, BDB sans fangs, I think if I had to pick a vamp to live in the real world I'd hope they were most like the Argeneaus. Atlanteans with microtechnology that requires them to drink (mostly bagged) blood but who otherwise lead fairly normal lives.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 107 comments But cows do have a whole culture and civilization separate from ours. just cause we don't understand them doesn't mean they don't understand each other. all animals have there own civilization and culture.

and martina. for every good human there is a bad person. some humans eat other humans. it is even normal in some cultures but you won't except that.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I guess it depends on the vampire and how they are feeding. Are they killing people by feeding, or just taking a little bit of blood at a time?

If vamps feeding from humans was an actual real life issue, it would bother me less if one was able to do it without taking enough to kill someone in the process (aka using willing volunteers to sustain). I like how in some books the feeding is linked to pleasure and isn't always meant for harm. Obviously, that weirds some people out, but it doesn't bother me.

Now as for cannibalism - it involves eating the flesh of people already dead, so that takes it to another level which is beyond disgusting.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 411 comments But I think if you can talk to something and it responds to you in a way you can understand you woulf feel strange about eating it. So as a vampire I would find it hard to kill humans. But I think you would.

I think non killing vampires would be best! I agree with Martina, maybe the Argeneau vamps would be best as they just go for the bagged blood. Although I am not sure I would want them to read my thought!

message 21: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
hey, just find "that certain someone" in the Argeneau world and get vamp-ified yourself so that you could start blocking others. Altho they also talk about 'normal' humans who are extremely hard to read. Besides, I figure any vamp that tried to read MY mind would be sitting in the corner singing softly to itself while playing with their fingers and toes. My mind is a total swamp with millions of different things running through it all the time.

message 22: by Crazy4more (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2949 comments Funny and interesting questions. Hmmmm:
-Midnight Breed w/alien ancient vampires
-BDB vampires drink their own blood...yeah!!!
-Guild Hunter vampires created by Angels...loveliness...
-Twilight vampires walk in daylight&sparkle...pretty
-Night Huntress & True Blood vampires are all about living among humans and share their hotness...yummy

So...NH and TB to me seem most possible BUT I want BDB to be real bc I'd be safe. Bones need to be cloned...

message 23: by Starr416 (new)

Starr416 | 2 comments I like the True Blood vamps, especially if they all looked like Eric Northman, I would totally be a fang banger.
The BDB vamps are cool too, but they are sooo big.
Twilight vamps sparkle...umm, still not sure how I feel about that.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Danielle wrote: "I'm thinking I would be terrified with any of them being real but I would have to pick the BDB because they don't feed off humans. lol"

I agree, and a few of them are quite yummy aswell ;P

But to have Eric Northman would be really nice cause he is deffinatly yummy

message 25: by Tamekia (new)

Tamekia Sholts | 8 comments Honestly I have been studying vampires for 2 years. They are very much real. You dont see them because they hide. Not because they cant go in the sun. They can actually. They just dont want to reveal themselves to the humans. Its very interesting of how they started and where they been all this time. So vampires are real!

message 26: by Mhollie (new)

Mhollie | 178 comments Tamekia wrote: "Honestly I have been studying vampires for 2 years. They are very much real. You dont see them because they hide. Not because they cant go in the sun. They can actually. They just dont want to reve..."

Tell us more! How did they start & where have they been? I wanna know BAD!

message 27: by Raven (new)

Raven Carluk (ravencorinncarluk) | 8 comments Out of the books, for traditional blood suckers, I think Anne Rice and Charlaine Harris have gotten it the closest.

Any author who's portrayed them as sparkly, or alien, or a separate race, is making up a new creature, but using vampire as a term we're familiar with. Not a abd thing, just not how a vampire would be in reality.

I agree with Tamekia, that they walk amongst us. Of course, there are also simple psychic vampires, that feed off the energy of others without the blood. Blood is just the easiest way to get at someone's life force.

message 28: by Malena (new)

Malena (mallena) | 22 comments Tamekia wrote: "Honestly I have been studying vampires for 2 years. They are very much real. You dont see them because they hide. Not because they cant go in the sun. They can actually. They just dont want to reve..."

Do tell... I want to know... Sounds interesting...

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather | 6 comments Who to choose OMG. While I do love Bones and Eric. I have to throw back to the old days for PNR and say Jean Claude :o) Once he met me he would realize how annoying Anita is. Plus I think I would like to give the Audeur a try! If it was BDB would have to be Phury hands down... yum yum.

message 30: by Mhollie (new)

Mhollie | 178 comments Mollie wrote: "Tamekia wrote: "Honestly I have been studying vampires for 2 years. They are very much real. You dont see them because they hide. Not because they cant go in the sun. They can actually. They just d..."

I have always been facinated by vampires. I have read a lot of books on them, historical & fictional. I have always believed that all paranormal things have some basis in truth, but their stories get twisted over time. I would love to talk to one. Ask them what their life is like, etc. How they feel about humans, etc? Their history as a race...

message 31: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophie714) | 126 comments hmm wouldnt mind a bit of Eric Northman / Wrath (BDB) / Lestat / Jean Claude (A. Blake) ....

I have always been drawn to the vampire race, and still can't get enough of them to be honest... Always on the look out for a new vampire novel to conquer!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 411 comments I thought that the legend of vampires came from a mixture of folk lore and porphyria disease

message 33: by Tamekia (new)

Tamekia Sholts | 8 comments Malena wrote: "Tamekia wrote: "Honestly I have been studying vampires for 2 years. They are very much real. You dont see them because they hide. Not because they cant go in the sun. They can actually. They just d..."
Well to start off they were created by Vlad the Implaer. I'm not sure how he got turned but I do know they can have children. They can get the flu or colds. This one os very discusting. If someone cuts there arm off then it will reginarate in a couple of years. Some vampires are not plae. They are either brown or a darkened black color. Their eyes well when you are a newborn your eyes are either black or gray. Fangs come out when they are scared or ready to kill somebody. If you have anymore questions. Please tell me. I would love to answer them.

message 34: by Irene (last edited Oct 05, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

Irene Hollimon | 182 comments I like the Sookie Stackhouse books- It would be kind of cool if vampires were like that. The artificial blood idea takes care of a lot of problems.
The Anita Blake world has pretty cool vampires in it too. It doesn't hurt that all those vampires are usually very good looking and rich.
Give me a rich, good looking guy who doesn't age... ooh baby!!!
And if I'm Anita Blake, give me a LOT of rich, good looking men who don't age... OUCH!!! It's getting hot in here... : )

message 35: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 182 comments I like Ilona Andrews. She's got cool shapeshifters but I'm disappointed, her vampires are kind of like zombies...not sexy, not rich, and no brains...mostly just dead and still walking around topside.

message 36: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophie714) | 126 comments Irene wrote: "I like the Sookie Stackhouse books- It would be kind of cool if vampires were like that. The artificial blood idea takes care of a lot of problems.
The Anita Blake world has pretty cool vampires i..."

hahaha... I TOTALLY agree with you here! :D

message 37: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 62 comments Yeah I think that they would most likely be like Sookie Stackhouse vamps...but preferably I would want them like Karen Chance vamps were they still have basically human emotion and they don't have to do much more than touch you to feed. Plus they don't have any grudges against humans and are pretty much the "good" guys.

message 38: by Jacquel (new)

Jacquel (clairevioletthorpe) | 127 comments I'd like them to be the kind of vampires who'd sweep you off your feet, fight for you, and generally just want to be around you.

As for the blood-drinking, I think there should be a way that vampires can drink blood without killing the human or animal.

Vampires I like: Edward Cullen and now it's either Stefan and Damon Salvatore. They don't exactly feed from humans and they know how to charm the pants off a woman.

message 39: by Steph (new)

Steph (lovessf) I totaly agree. I'm in love with Damon salvatore. Stefan is a close second though!

As for books I am obsessed with the Dark Hunters. In particular I love Kyrian, Fang and Zarek! So yummy.

Also agree with an ealier comment that when you are reading these books. You forget about real life. These men pull you in... when you then finish the book, you are slammed back to reality. It sucks!

My next series to read is the Night Huntress series. I'm very curious about Bones thanks to you guys. Hope they are as good as they sound.

message 40: by ☽ Rhiannon ✭ (last edited Oct 17, 2010 05:56PM) (new)

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments LethalLovely~I Got My Chucks on wrote: "Like the Twilight vampires! Then they'd be all sparkly & awesome & feed off of animals-not humans!- & play baseball & always have to fight the urge to kill the women they love! *sighs* Totally cool..."

Hahahaha, this post is awesome.

message 41: by Tamekia (new)

Tamekia Sholts | 8 comments Does anybody have anymore questions about vampires or werewolves?? I have all your answers.

message 42: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey (geoffreythorne) | 12 comments No one has got it better than Anne Rice before or since. I'll stick with her.

message 43: by Tamekia (new)

Tamekia Sholts | 8 comments Okay. I'll just keep them to myself.

message 44: by Crystalmarie (new)

Crystalmarie (CrystalsNovels) Wait!!! Vampire's are NOT Real??? OMGoodness! Why...why did you have to crush what hope i had. I hope this is just a dream.
hehe.

message 45: by Brent (last edited Oct 12, 2014 09:24PM) (new)

Brent Ryan (witkh13) | 13 comments There is always more than one path up a mountain. Similarly I think there are multiple ways for a being to exist that our society would call a vampire.

The paramount trait is draining other biological entities {mostly humans} of their blood.

A hyper-allergic reaction to sunlight is a compelling but fail to be mandatory characteristic. There are technological ways to mitigate direct exposure to sunlight.

From there the rest of Bram Stoker's Dracula traits may be mentioned but are far from mandatory. The traditional explanation being magikal 'Divine' will making Dracula what he is.

Other others view the magik as a misunderstood biology. Such as Blade's Purebloods versus turned vampires. Another possible 'explanation' that our science could at least begin to comprehend is a DNA retrovirus or parasitic biological entity.

My point being that there are several possible explanations that are just as plausible as any other.

The plausibility of immortality is even accepted by current modern Medicine. Cancer cells have been shown to fail to age at all.

I forget which lab but somewhere they have a blob of cancer that has been 'alive' for over half a century without aging.

Today people seem to favor treating science as a religion as if it already knows 'everything' there is to know. The Scientific Method is merely a method of attempting to understand the Prime Material.

There is an entire universe full of possible ways a biological entity could exist in our Prime Material, that society would label as a 'vampire'.

'Science' has simply failed to find one and stick it in a lab for testing.

Elizabeth wrote: "being like the Hallows Series by Kim Harrison would be pretty kewl. except i don't know how keen i am on living vampires. I also think The Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost plays it pretty cl..."

message 46: by Amani (new)

Amani Haak (arrus) | 8 comments ... I would be one of them! :D

message 47: by Jacquel (new)

Jacquel (clairevioletthorpe) | 127 comments I'd give up humanity and join the vampires.

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rmlupin) | 3 comments If vampires were real, I'd only need one; Matthew Clairmont. All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness.

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rmlupin) | 3 comments Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) wrote: "But, humans are sentient beings, where as animals are not. Could you bring yourself to eat beef if you knew that you could have an inteeligen conversation with a cow, or that that cow had a whole c..."

I think it's a matter of opinion as to whether or not an animal is a sentient being. Animals are certainly able to perceive or feel things which is precisely the definition of sentient.

message 50: by S.N. (new)

S.N. Graves (sngraves) | 11 comments I read this article recently on why being immortal would suck (heh, pun intended), and it brought up stuff I'd never thought about vampires having to deal with. Like the lack of evolution--how different from "modern man" would the oldest ones look now? How about the one's made today--how different would they look in say 5000 years? Also as we get older, time seems to speed up because of a lack of novelty--your brain starts to gloss over and rush past things that become too mundane to you. If you live for several thousands of years, how the heck would you even perceive time? What good would be relationships when they would have to seem so terribly fleeting. Science makes vampires really depressing... :(

« previous 1