Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Mistakenly combined editions

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments On the combine page you'll see a 'seperate' link and if you click that for the ones you need to uncombine you'll be all set. :)

message 2: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Separate them on the combine page, either individually or using the separate tool.

message 3: by Caro (last edited Jun 19, 2012 11:03AM) (new)

Caro | 177 comments Hello, I think this is thread needed. This book needs to be separated from the the others. It's not the same edition. Needs a super, it's the most popular edition.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/95...

message 4: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Not gonna touch this one until someone else comments on it, but I could separate all the other editions leaving the most popular edition alone. Would this work?

message 5: by Amara (last edited Jun 19, 2012 11:15AM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) You can use the separation tool to detach the three other editions from the main one. (No Super necessary.)

But first to clarify: what's the exact difference between the book you linked and the other three editions currently combined? As far as I can tell, it includes two extra stories; is that correct? (I ask because we'll probably need to leave an librarian note explaining the differences between the two so they don't get combined again.)

message 6: by Tntexas (last edited Jun 19, 2012 12:01PM) (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Amara wrote: "But first to clarify: what's the exact difference between the book you linked and the other three editions currently combined? As far as I can tell, it includes two extra stories; is that correct?"

Not exactly. The stories in this book are listed on Amazon as being: The Greatest Gift, Close Call, Hanging by a Thread, Small Packages, and Built to Last. Whereas the stories in this book are listed as: The Greatest Gift, Here Come the Heroes, and Touched by Love. So despite having an identical title, the books themselves only have one author and one story in common. The others are completely different. That would basically make them different books; wouldn't it?

message 7: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Tntexas wrote: "So despite having an identical title, the books themselves only have one author and one story in common. The others are completely different. That would basically make them different books; wouldn't it?"

Yes, definitely. Thanks for the clarification. Everything's separated properly now, and I've added a librarian note to hopefully prevent future incorrect combinations.

message 8: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Amara wrote:"Yes, definitely. Thanks for the clarification. Everything's separated properly now, and I've added a librarian note to hopefully prevent future incorrect combinations."

That's what I thought. I've run across a similar situation with a couple of other books and separated them for that very reason. I'm glad to hear I was right. :o)

message 9: by Caro (new)

Caro | 177 comments Thanks, I just wanted to make sure and wasn't 100%.

message 10: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments And thanks Amara for the note about the separate tool. Haven't used it a lot so I wasn't too sure how it worked.

message 11: by Amara (last edited Jun 19, 2012 12:34PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) lafon حمزة wrote: "And thanks Amara for the note about the separate tool. Haven't used it a lot so I wasn't too sure how it worked."

You're quite welcome; it's a very useful tool once you get the hang of it. ;)

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Young | 2 comments I am sorry to intrude on this conversation, but how did you know that these two editions were not the same? I am kind of new at being a librarian and want to try to understand to the best of my ability how things work. Any type of answer/response would be most appreciated.

message 13: by Amara (last edited Jun 19, 2012 12:41PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Michael wrote: "I am sorry to intrude on this conversation, but how did you know that these two editions were not the same? I am kind of new at being a librarian and want to try to understand to the best of my abi..."

In this case, an examination of the contents of the two books was necessary. At first sight, I wondered why Caro was requesting a separation because nothing stuck out to me that screamed they were different editions. So it needed a bit of research.

Sites like Worldcat, Amazon, etcetera can provide more information on the contents of the book. (Note that while we can certainly look at Amazon's and other bookseller site's data just as a reference, we can never actually "use" it.) When Tntexas established the contents of the two editions as distinctly different, we knew to separate.

message 14: by Caro (new)

Caro | 177 comments I noticed the authors were different. The one that needed separated had Carla Neggers as one of the authors and the other books didn't have her at all. But research is a key ingredient, especially when you don't have the book in front of you. My two favorite websites are FictionDB.com and FantasticFiction.co.uk. But if those don't have it I usually turn to Worldcat and Google.

message 15: by Amara (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Caro wrote: "My two favorite websites are FictionDB.com and FantasticFiction.co.uk."

I also make heavy use of FantasticFiction.co.uk for some of my older children's books, among other things. Another useful site for details (not usually for content details, though) is isbndb.com

message 16: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments For those that are interested, "More than Words" is a charity program organized by Harlequin books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequi...

Therefore, it is likely that there are (or will be) many anthologies with this name. In this particular case, they just happened to have the same primary author due to a shared story.

message 17: by Tntexas (last edited Jun 19, 2012 02:42PM) (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments vicki_girl wrote: "For those that are interested, "More than Words" is a charity program organized by Harlequin books.

Therefore, it is likely that there are (or will be) many anthologies with this name. In this particular case, they just happened to have the same primary author due to a shared story."

Ah ... that would explain why when I was looking on Amazon I saw another "More than Words" book attributed to Carla(?) Neggars (one of the authors on one of these two books) and two or three other authors. Thanks for mentioning that.

But now that you've mentioned it, how does this situation differ from the one that's talked about in this thread? It sounds like the cookbooks in question are completely different except for the title - yet they're apparently being grouped together instead of separately or as a series. This appears to be a similar set up so would policy demand these be grouped together as well?

message 18: by Amara (last edited Jun 19, 2012 02:50PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) Tntexas wrote: "vicki_girl wrote: "For those that are interested, "More than Words" is a charity program organized by Harlequin books.

..."

Well, the cookbooks should at the very least be linked as a series since they're yearly installments under the same title. On the other hand, Harlequin More Than Words is less like a series title and more like an imprint, and so those shouldn't get a series listing. (Grouping of various Harlequin imprints get Listopia lists instead.)

As for the combining of the cookbooks, it looks like conversation dropped off in hopes that someone with a little more knowledge/authority would step in to either confirm or refute that they fit into the policy Otis mentioned in the linked thread, but that never happened. So... *shrugs*

message 19: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Amara wrote: "Well, the cookbooks should at the very least be linked as a series since they're yearly installments under the same title. On the other hand, Harlequin More Than Words is less like a series title and more like an imprint, and so those shouldn't get a series listing. (Grouping of various Harlequin imprints get Listopia lists instead.)

As for the combining of the cookbooks, it looks like conversation dropped off in hopes that someone with a little more knowledge/authority would step in to either confirm or refute that they fit into the policy Otis mentioned in the linked thread, but that never happened. So... *shrugs*"

Given the descriptions of them, linking the cookbooks as a series would make a lot more sense to me than linking them all as different editions of the same book since the content of each year's edition is completely different. I'd separate them out myself and create a series for them, but I'm afraid I'd be running afoul of official policy if I did. So I won't. I'll just wish it could be done. :o)

As for "More than Words", I think each edition should be kept separate since the stories contained in each year's version are apparently almost completely different so whatever reasoning is used to accomplish that (title of a series, name of an imprint, something else) is fine with me. ;o)

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael Young | 2 comments All this information makes a lot of sense! I was looking at both of the books in this situation and trying to figure out how they were different! I was in a conundrum! Research and various websites are the key to solving this type of problem. I am adding this to the vault of information I have designated for librarian on Goodreads. Ha ha ha! Thanks!