Christian Support Group :) discussion

general > Pre-Marital... Activities...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Just wasn't sure if it'd make people uncomfortable if I used... THAT WORD... ;]

What do you think of it and why? Also; dating? What age do you think it's appropriate to go on dates and/or become "boyfriend-girlfriend"?

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments MYHAPPYMONSTER wrote: "Just wasn't sure if it'd make people uncomfortable if I used... THAT WORD... ;]

What do you think of it and why? Also; dating? What age do you think it's appropriate to go on dates and/or become..."

Personally, I want to first have a 'boyfriend' when I'm 15-16. That way, I am mature enough to refuse things if I don't want them.

message 3: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Exactly! That's required for Mormons. No dating until 16 - and even then it's only group dates. No boyfriends until you're old enough to get married (which means the boy must've been on a mission already). And do cheap dates where you can have fun. ^_^

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments You have rules about dating in Mormonism?

message 5: by Breezy (new)

Breezy | 62 comments I think there was some extensive discussion regarding sex before marriage... but I believe you had taken a break from the group during that time. So, I will reiterate what I'd said before. I believe that there should not be sex before marriage- especially in a relationship involving Christians. We are called to be set apart. We must be in the world and not of it. Also, I don't think there is a specific age when dating should begin. We all mature at different rates. My advice to you younger girls is to concentrate less on the age at which you will begin to date and more upon your level of maturity as well as his.
In truth, I think the best thing to do is to wait until you are done with high school. Focus on school, on your grades, on your extracurricular activities. Have fun with your friends, get involved in missions trips through your church. In other words, take this time to focus on yourself. When you're single there is an immense freedom involved in it. You can do what you want, when you want, how you want (to a certain degree). Once you enter into a relationship, you have to take their needs into consideration. You will need to make certain sacrifices here and there for his happiness (and he will need to for you as well). And once you start dating, you will likely never get to "turn back". You will probably always want to be in a relationship. Trust me... take as much time to get to spoil yourself, and develop your personality before you have to focus on somebody else.

message 6: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Great summary, Breezy.

message 7: by Courtney (last edited Sep 29, 2010 08:37PM) (new)

Courtney | 31 comments Breezy, I've always had the mantra "too fast for love" (I know it sounds dirty). But really I want to be out of high school before I begin a serious relasionship,
right now I'm far to too busy
having fun :)

message 8: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Chiara *♥☺Eat cheesecake.....NOW☺♥* wrote: "You have rules about dating in Mormonism?"

Yep. But it's not like we're going to be kicked out of the church if we break them. It's just something to help us be more pure. ^_^

And I agree with the serious relationship point - you should at least finish high school before getting a boyfriend.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 373 comments Mod
I really don't believe in "dating" at all - in today's culture, it means toying with feelings before you're ready, and putting yourself in some tempting situations. If you're seriously considering marriage then that's a different matter. :)

message 10: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) ^^^^ I agree.

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments Dating is fun, Mating (espl. just being friends with benifits) doesn't look attractive at all

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments MYHAPPYMONSTER wrote: "Chiara *♥☺Eat cheesecake.....NOW☺♥* wrote: "You have rules about dating in Mormonism?"

Yep. But it's not like we're going to be kicked out of the church if we break them. It's just something to he..."

I see.

message 13: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 16 comments I have a purity ring... I'm bound tight...

message 14: by Sandy (new)

The Fox Princess wrote: "I have a purity ring... I'm bound tight..."

Those are cool…except I find it kind of ironic how it doesn't mean anything to a lot of people. Like how wedding rings are supposed to be permanent, and people end up wearing them for a few years? :(

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments What do you do with a purity ring??

message 16: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Chiara *♥☺Eat cheesecake.....NOW☺♥* wrote: "What do you do with a purity ring??"

It's more of a reminder that you are saving yourself and your affections for your future husband. Sometimes it is given with a covenant between the girl and her parents.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments Ohhhh, I see.

message 18: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments I don't wear a purity ring, because I really hate how rings feel

However I got my ring from my grandma, she told me about how she was "super super easy" as a teenager and how I shouldn't be like that

it was an awkward conversation

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Honestly, I wouldn't wear a purity ring. I feel that the decision to wait is a personal one. The only people who need to know are me and whomever I happen to date in the future. If others want to wear them, though, I have no problem with that.

message 20: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Same, though I think it really represents you as an open person, seeing as you're showing the world that you're going to stay a virgin until marriage.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments What do you mean by an open person?

Honestly, I don't think it's the world's business.

message 22: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) It shouldn't be, but some people do intend to make it their business.

message 23: by The Fox Princess (new)

The Fox Princess (thefoxprincess) | 16 comments Ha ha... Not many people pay it much mind... I like it though... It's not so bad... I've had it for about 2 years now... going on 3 this Christmas...

message 24: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Yes, I like it too...I don't have one, my parents can't afford, but I think it's a great idea.

message 25: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "What do you mean by an open person?

Honestly, I don't think it's the world's business."

They let everybody know their feelings and don't hide anything.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments MYHAPPYMONSTER wrote: "Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "What do you mean by an open person?

Honestly, I don't think it's the world's business."

They let everybody know their feelings and don't hide anything."

That makes sense.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Pansy wrote: "It shouldn't be, but some people do intend to make it their business."

Well, in the end, it's my decision whether it's any of their business, and in most cases, it isn't.

Purity rings just aren't for me. The only purposes I can think of for them would be: 1) to announce my decision to people who have no business knowing, since it's a personal, private decision; and 2) for symbolic purposes, and religious symbols don't really do much for me.

*Mrs. Brightside* Yeah..I don't wear one.

message 29: by Sandy (new)

I don't think there's anything WRONG with them, although I do sort of want one. But in the grand scheme of things, while purity is important, the symbol isn't really. If every Christian wore a ring for each conviction they had, then…

We would need a lot more fingers. :D

message 30: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) LOL! True...

message 31: by Breezy (last edited Oct 12, 2010 07:12PM) (new)

Breezy | 62 comments I own a purity ring, but that doesn't mean that it is necessary. I think the main importance is for parents to be open and honest about relationships with their children and emphasize the importance of abstinence. In general, the silence about these subjects that are "taboo" is the problem. Parents need to talk to their children at an early age so they are prepared for the temptations in life. If the parents aren't answering these questions, you better believe someone else is- and chances are it won't be accurate information, either!

message 32: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Have you guys seen the pictures of that eleven-year-old girl that are circulating? Yikes...

message 33: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments ^what

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments MYHAPPYMONSTER wrote: "Have you guys seen the pictures of that eleven-year-old girl that are circulating? Yikes..."

no....

message 35: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Well, she lost her virginity at nine and she literally looks like a mini-slut. She's posted nude pictures of herself and pictures of her being... intimate with one of her "friends" that looks to be a teenager.

I've only seen one picture - and it wasn't anything inappropriate (just her face, but you couldn't see anything on her shoulders).

message 36: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments um, that is most likely illegal

message 37: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Dur.

message 38: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments how have her parents reacted to this?

*Mrs. Brightside* Lol. That's bad. Such a young girl..

message 40: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) No clue - they don't seem involved at all.

Just thought I'd share here. A lot of people I've told online just kinda blow it off.

message 41: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments What do ya'll think about moving in with your fiance when you get engaged

*Mrs. Brightside* ....That's okay..

message 43: by Breezy (new)

Breezy | 62 comments Courtney wrote: "What do ya'll think about moving in with your fiance when you get engaged"

I don't think it is a good idea. If you are moving in, that likely means that you have already had sex.

However, if you haven't already slept with them, it puts unnecessary pressure on the two of you. Think of how difficult it is now to wait to have sex. Now, magnify that by thirty. You will be in an enclosed space much of the time. And, unless you have a two bedroom apartment, you will be sleeping in the same bed. Why purposely put yourselves in a situation where it will be nearly impossible to deny yourselves? How important is it for you to be a virgin on your wedding night? If you sleep with each other before that night, it just won't be as special when that night comes. And chances are, you will regret it if you do.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments Breezy wrote: "Courtney wrote: "What do ya'll think about moving in with your fiance when you get engaged"

I don't think it is a good idea. If you are moving in, that likely means that you have already had se..."

That's a good point.

message 45: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Alex-wa wrote: "MYHAPPYMONSTER wrote: "Have you guys seen the pictures of that eleven-year-old girl that are circulating? Yikes..."

That's terrible! But no, I've haven't seen any pics."

Yeah, it is. -_- http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scyGo7...

message 46: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Breezy wrote: "Courtney wrote: "What do ya'll think about moving in with your fiance when you get engaged"

I don't think it is a good idea. If you are moving in, that likely means that you have already had se..."

*like*

message 47: by ShadowTalon (new)

ShadowTalon (flameofnight) I believe that losing your virginity should be left until you're in love. Before or after marriage doesn't matter, you could end up never marrying the person. As long as you love them.

Casual sex, however, is debatable. It is done a lot in today's society, but I am undecided as to whether or not it's moral.

message 48: by Christina (new)

Christina | 91 comments Dating should begin when you are spiritually, emotionally, and mentally mature enough to handle it.
Sex is reserved for marriage, and only between one man and one woman. According to His Word... :)
Also, *Song of Songs is an AMAZING book about a love story between two characters in the Bible. Check it out!*

*Mrs. Brightside* Song of Songs? Is that what you call it?

message 50: by Christina (last edited Dec 08, 2010 07:21PM) (new)

Christina | 91 comments Yes, this book of the Bible is the Song of Songs... or it is referred to as the Song of Solomon

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?...

It's 8 chapters long, and a beautiful love story

« previous 1 3