The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Dr. Zhivago anyone????

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petra (new)

Petra I'd like to read Doctor Zhivago soon. Would anyone want to join me?
It would take me a couple/few weeks to get a copy of the book. So, I thought if there's any interest, we could start reading in about 3 weeks. Would that work for everyone interested?

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Hi Petra, I read this last year, so i would be willing to participate in the discussions.

message 3: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments I'd join in. Its one I'd like to read.

message 4: by El (new)

El I read this not too long ago and would be interested in seeing what other people have to say about it.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol I will try to scare up a copy. It has been far to long to remember anything about the book.

message 6: by Carol (last edited Sep 28, 2010 07:47AM) (new)

Carol I checked at B&N on Oct 19th the Doctor Zhivago (Pevear / Volokhonsky Translation)comes out. I find them to be awesome translators. But the book is about $21.00. Is that the one you are getting Petra? Let me know as I will splurge and get it. The cover is very elegant but simple.
Amazon will have it for around $20.00

Doctor Zhivago Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

I finally read War and Peace (Vintage Classics) by Leo Tolstoy due to their translation

message 7: by Elena (last edited Sep 28, 2010 08:46AM) (new)

Elena I have been wanting to read it for a long time, so many books so little time! I ordered a used copy at Amazon. I am taking 6 hours plane to CA in the middle of October, I think it will be perfect for the trip.

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra Yay! I'm glad that there's interest in this book.

Kitty, I was just going to get a Library copy of the book. When I checked the catalogue, I saw that the book will be returned soon, then it has to travel to my library branch (inter-library loan). That's why I figure it'll take me a few weeks to get.

How about we put a start date of October 15th? I may be a few days behind but I would catch up quickly.

message 9: by Elena (new)

Elena It sounds good to me. I thought this was a long one and that is in part why I had been putting it off. It is only 500 something pages, not bad, happy.

message 10: by Carol (last edited Sep 28, 2010 09:49AM) (new)

Carol Ok I will see if I can get a copy before then. I loved this book as I recall. It will be interesting to see if time has changed the book for me.

Ordered it from amazon . It should be here by Oct 1. It was $1.64 I also got Sarah's Key for $6 something. So I will be able to discuss that one also.

message 11: by Petra (new)

Petra I just rechecked the Library catalogue.
It states that their copy is translated from the Russian by Manya Harari and Max Hayward. Does anyone know whether this is a good translation or whether I should think of buying a different copy (if so, which translator should I look for)?

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol That should be fine. Max Hayward was familiar with the Pasternak family and Boris's writing style.

message 13: by Petra (new)

Petra Good to hear! I'll go with the Library copy then. Fingers crossed that it gets returned soon.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol That is the translation I am going with for now also, as the other will not be here in time.

message 15: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 290 comments I'm not sure if I'll be able to participate after all. I have a list of books I need to get through before the end of Oct. for another challenge I've taken on. Hopefully I'll get through and can maybe join in late. We'll see. Thanks for the translation advice too!

message 16: by Elena (new)

Elena I have the paperback edition published in 1986. Interestingly, as of that year, it had not appeared in Russia. It had already been published in over a dozen languages and made into a magnificent motion picture. It was finally published in Soviet Union in 1988.

message 17: by Elena (new)

Elena I have the paperback edition published in 1986. Interestingly, as of that year, it had not appeared in Russia. It had already been published in over a dozen languages and made into a magnificent motion picture. It was finally published in Soviet Union in 1988.

message 18: by Elena (last edited Oct 04, 2010 03:03PM) (new)

Elena I have the paperback edition published in 1986 Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak . Interestingly, as of that year, it had not appeared in Russia. It had already been published in over a dozen languages and made into a magnificent motion picture. It was finally published in Soviet Union in 1988.

message 19: by El (new)

El Elena, that's the edition I read and thought it was a pretty great translation.

message 20: by Elena (new)

Elena I wish they would translate the character's Russian names!!!

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol You can rename them in your mind or keep a list next to you . Of course there is Yuri, Lara. Marie, Boris just make names you like and put the Russian names beside them . That might be kind of fun.

message 22: by Elena (last edited Oct 04, 2010 06:11PM) (new)

Elena Good idea Kitty :) I'll keep that in mind.

message 23: by Petra (new)

Petra Whoot! The Library has my copy in! I hope to pick it up tomorrow, after work!

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol Mine came today I have to finish BLAME first ,but I did read a few pages into it and I was already back in Russian. This is going to be magical . I forgot how beautiful the scenic descriptions are.

message 25: by Petra (new)

Petra Do we start a new thread for the discussion of this book or just start posting here?
I'll pick the book up today and will probably start reading on the weekend.

message 26: by Carol (last edited Oct 06, 2010 01:09PM) (new)

Carol Let's start a new thread; we don't want a long list of extraneous comments. Is that okay with everyone?

Petra since it is your baby you may lead and we shall follow. I am into about 100 pages and boy do I have questions.

message 27: by Petra (new)

Petra Okay, I'll start a new thread. Discussion will then be open.
I'm looking forward to this.

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol As i said I have a few questions. The book is translating differently for me now, then it did 35 years ago.

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol Kitty wrote: "As I said I have a few questions. The book is translating differently for me now, then it did 35 years ago."