Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Weekly Reading > What are you reading, Sept. 27?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
Hope I did this right!!!

Anyway, I just started the anthology The Bodyguard by authors Cherry Adair, Gena Showalter, and Lorie O'Clare. I'm taking Janga's advice and trying new authors this way!!! :)

message 2: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2123 comments Mod
Hey, Monica :) I love Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series! You should try em when you get a chance. I've not read Cherry Adair or Lorie O'Clare- I'll have to look for em next time I'm at B&N.

I'm starting this week with Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan

message 3: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
Reading Ruthless by Anne Stuart. She knows how to tell a story, but I can't say I'm really enjoying it or likely to buy more of her books.
Fortunately, tomorrow on my nook I should have the new Madeline Hunter, the new Courtney Milan, the new Anne Gracie....a good week!

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
You did perfectly! Thanks, Monica!

I am *still* working on Brenda Novak's Body Heat. I just lost momentum after the excitement of last week and now it's taking me forever to finish it. I'm torn between abandoning it to finish later and just struggling on. It's not a bad book. It's just not compelling me right now.

message 5: by Calila (new)

Calila Just finished A Hellion in Her Bed by Sabrina Jeffries.

Heroine annoyed me about 40% of the time but not really enough to make me put the book down. I still wanted the HEA but mainly for the heroes sake and for George.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyw35) | 128 comments I'm still reading Two Texas Hearts by Jodi Thomas.

message 7: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
I just read the new Madeline Hunter. It was interesting, but somehow, it didn't have the emotional intensity of many of her books. I can't wait for hte last one in the series though--I think the Duke is a riot.
I am now reading an old book someone (Eloisa?) recommended a ways back--Billy Bob Walker got married. So far, its really good.

message 8: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
I just finished I Kissed an Earl by Julie Anne Long. I really liked it.

Up next is a anthology of short stories in the book Sweet Land: New and Selected Storiesby Will Weaver. Have any of you seen the movie Sweet Land, it is a cute movie and it was filmed only a couple of hours from where I grew up.

message 9: by Melany (new)

Melany (azingirlygirl) | 49 comments Calila wrote: "Just finished A Hellion in Her Bed by Sabrina Jeffries.

Heroine annoyed me about 40% of the time but not really enough to make me put the book down. I still wanted the HEA but mainl..."

I hate stories like that where i cant stand one of the characters. it doesnt make the story seem like a HEA because one character doesnt deserve the other. :/

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele Peddycord | 2 comments Just started A Hellion in Her Bed by Sabrina Jeffries last night. I am just a two chapters into it, haven't decided if I like the HEA or not yet.

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments I picked up Courtney Milan's Trial By Desire last night (my pre-ordered copy won't arrive for another week -- srsly, what's the point of pre-ordering?). It is AWESOME so far. I also got Tiffany Clare's Surrender of a Lady. It is next in the TBR! I've heard nothing but great things about both books.

message 12: by Irisheyes (last edited Sep 30, 2010 05:58AM) (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments I picked up Madeline Hunter's SINFUL IN SATIN and SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE by Jill Shalvis. I'm reading Jill's first cause I felt like a contemp and I'm really liking it. I've been in a real slump lately - nothing catching and keeping my attention.

I can't wait for Castleford's story either, DLS! I've loved him from the first book. What a character! In fact, he's the reason I can't wait to dive into SIS - just to get another glimpse of him.

I also picked up BILLY BOB WALKER GOT MARRIED at a UBS a couple of weeks ago. Let me know how you like it as you go along.

message 13: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
Okie wrote: "Hey, Monica :) I love Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series! You should try em when you get a chance. I've not read Cherry Adair or Lorie O'Clare- I'll have to look for em next time I'm a..."

Hey Okie!!! I liked all three stories in the book, so I'll be sure to pick up Gena Showalter! Yay!! A new author for me to read!!

I just started Renegade by Lora Leigh. I've only read the first chapter, and it seems to be ok... We'll see how it goes from there!

Mrs.ColinBridgerton | 62 comments Just started reading The Best of Friends by Susan Mallery, I love this type of story so it should be win... should. lol

message 15: by Calila (last edited Sep 30, 2010 10:00PM) (new)

Calila Just finished Castles in the Air by Christina Dodd. Not big on medievals but I liked it well enough.

message 16: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2123 comments Mod
I'm still reading Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan and I started on Torment by Lauren Kate.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 1046 comments Just re-read Loretta Chase's Your Scandalous Ways; it's terrific. My favorite part is on page 163:
she: I plan to forget you by tomorrow.
he: In that case, I'd better make the most of today.
(still cracks me up!)

Next up is Loretta Chase's Last Night's Scandal, about Olivia-the-crocodile and a young man unfortunately named Peregrine. Don't crocodiles eat birds when they can catch them?

message 18: by Janga (new)

Janga | 1070 comments Mod
DLS and Irish, I LOVE Billy Bob Walker Got Married! In fact, I was the reader who recommended it to EJ. It's one of those books that I never understood why it wasn't a bestseller. I liked Brown's other books too, although not as well as BBWGM.

I broke my toe and can't get to the bookstores in the city, so I still don't have some of the new releases. There are several I'm beyond eager to read. Today I'm reading an eARC, Laura Lee Guhrke's Wedding of the Season.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (kathypickett) | 4 comments I finished reading The Best of Friends and loved it :)

I just started reading The Dangerous Viscount and I'm really enjoying the book so far!

message 20: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
I got sidetracked by I Shall wear midnight: my son promised to lend it and I insisted on reading it first . So far it is very good . My son says it's much more adult Than the first 3 books .

message 21: by Calila (new)

Calila I read Succubi Like It Hot by Jill Myles.

message 22: by Melany (new)

Melany (azingirlygirl) | 49 comments Susan wrote: "Just re-read Loretta Chase's Your Scandalous Ways; it's terrific. My favorite part is on page 163:
she: I plan to forget you by tomorrow.
he: In that case, I'd better make the most of today.
(st..."

I loved Your Scandalous Ways! It had a really great beginning!

Currently reading Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase

message 23: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
That *is* odd EJFan. It could be any number of things. Sometimes your brain says Keats and your fingers type Yeats. Or it could have been either a sloppy copy editor or a wrong copy editor. (They have been known to change correct historical details to incorrect ones at times.) JAL seems to know the period pretty well so I doubt it was a knowing mistake on her part. I think you've hit on one of the problems with glomming:( I always end up noticing little authorial quirks that follow them from book to book...

I, alas, am still stuck on BODY HEAT. I think I'm just going to have to give up for now and finish it later. I think I might try a novella just to cleanse my reading palate.

message 24: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
I finished I Will Wear Midnight (Terry Pratchett YA) and really liked it. I've been reading some Jill Shalvis--I've been drowning in work and want to Keep Billy Bob Walker until I come up for air and can focus on it a little more.
I'm reading Shalvis' latest book, and while I'm not very far into it, I'm getting frustrated. Why do so many authors feel they have to make their women foolish, klutzy, foot-in-mouth types? I don't get it. And the stuff I read by Shalvis before wasn't like that. I mean, everyone does that kind of thing occasionally but as a way of building a likeable believable or interesting character it just doesn't work for me. Grrr.