Christian Support Group :) discussion

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments How do you imagine God? Is it the traditional 'Old Man in the Sky?'

I imagine him as a grandpa; he loves us very much but we are not the most important thing to him.

message 2: by Breezy (new)

Breezy | 62 comments That's interesting. One of the names for God is Abba. Traditionally people have interpreted it as "Father", but in truth it's closer to "Daddy".

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Breezy wrote: "That's interesting. One of the names for God is Abba. Traditionally people have interpreted it as "Father", but in truth it's closer to "Daddy"."

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) I believe in Him as a Father, a Brother in a sense not like physically I mean like you can tell Him anything, a Commander In Cheif this world, My Savior, My Creator, The Potter, My God, King of kings and Lord of lords, my General, and most of all my loving and Caring Friend!!!!!!!!! Sorry I love naming names of God. : )

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments Isn't God's technical name Yaweh?

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Courtney wrote: "Isn't God's technical name Yaweh?"

That's one of His names.

message 7: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) I see God as a fatherly figure but also kind of a teacher... in a sense... :/

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments I don't see Him as a teacher as I don't feel that teachers love me! ;)

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments I like what Muslims call him; Allah. It makes me feel like God has an identity, instead of just being a 'God'.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Even though "Allah" means "God" in Arabic. Arab Christians say "Allah" as well as Muslims.

message 12: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) He teaches us things, no?

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments Yes, but I wouldn't see him as a teacher; a dad or a grandfather teaches us things too..

message 14: by Breezy (last edited Sep 29, 2010 06:46PM) (new)

Breezy | 62 comments I'm gonna get technical here... Yes, His TITLE is Yahweh. In the Bible, you will notice that sometimes you see Lord, whereas other times you will see LORD. This is not a typo... there is a very good reason behind this. In the original scriptures, where we have placed the LORD are the Hebrew letters equivalent to YHWH. There are no vowels in the Hebrew language, therefore Yahweh is the closest thing to the original scriptures. So, every time you are reading scripture and you see LORD, know that it really means "Yahweh".

message 15: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments nice fact, Breezy, theology score!

message 16: by Breezy (new)

Breezy | 62 comments Breezy wrote: "I'm gonna get technical here... Yes, His TITLE is Yahweh. In the Bible, you will notice that sometimes you see Lord, whereas other times you will see LORD. This is not a typo... there is a very g..."

I would like to go back and correct my previous statement. The way I worded it, it makes it seem that the Hebrew language itself has no vowels. What I ought to say is that there are no vowels in the spelling of Yahweh for a specific reason. The title of Yahweh was considered sacred. It was not to be spoken, nor was it to be written. That is how sacred it was. Therefore, when transcribing scripture they had to use a fresh pen, then once they recorded the name they had to destroy the pen, wash themselves, and then begin again. Sorry if my previous statement was a little vague.

message 17: by Douglas (new)

Douglas (littlepegleg) | 135 comments Breezy wrote: "Breezy wrote: "I'm gonna get technical here... Yes, His TITLE is Yahweh. In the Bible, you will notice that sometimes you see Lord, whereas other times you will see LORD. This is not a typo... th..."

A very good explanation of Hebrew, Breezy. Have you studied the language or just pick this knowledge up as you go? I only have two years study, but that is enough for me.

message 18: by Breezy (new)

Breezy | 62 comments I haven't studied Hebrew, although I hope to one day. I would love to have the ability to read original scripture for myself. These are just tidbits of information I have learned throughout my life... this one in particular from my two years of confirmation.

message 19: by Sandpiper (new)

Sandpiper | 8 comments When I was a kid, I imagined him as a grandfatherly-type being too. Complete with a long, white flowing beard.

Now, when I imagine God, I just see light.