Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2010 Challenge Archive > FAC: Gena Showalter (October 2010)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 246 (246 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Oct 24, 2010 04:15PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Gena Showalter

Gena Showalter sold her first book at the age of 27 and now, four years later, is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of thirteen books, with eleven more on the way in a thrilling blend of genres: breathtaking paranormal and contemporary romances, cutting edge young adult novels, and stunning urban fantasy.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV, Seventeen Magazine, and have been translated in French, Italian and Korean. The critics have called her books "sizzling page-turners" and "utterly spellbinding stories", while Showalter herself has been called “a star on the rise”.

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author
Challenge Duration: The whole month

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Oct 21, 2010 09:56AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments D.G. is kind enough to keep track of participants for this challenge for this month for me. Real life is a little too much at the moment, so my online time is a little bit limited.

Thank you so much D.G. for the assistance.

To see the list, just follow this link:

Those who are starting as A:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

or B:

Those who are starting as C or D:

message 3: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) I am in for this one. I have been meaning to read The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld, #6) by Gena Showalter , and this will push me to do that. :D I am definitely an A.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 2757 comments I'm so in, I love Gena Showalter making me an A
not sure what to read, will get back to ya on that :)

message 5: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 2218 comments I'm absolutely in! She is one of my favorites, so I'm an A! I'm going to read Twice as Hot (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #2) by Gena Showalter or Into the Dark (Lords of the Underworld, #.5 & #3.5, Plus Bonus Material, Atlantis, #5) by Gena Showalter

message 6: by SandyC (last edited Sep 27, 2010 11:30AM) (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments I am in! I am a C - totally new to this author.

I will read The Darkest Night.

message 7: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 23 comments I'm an A and I'll be reading The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld, #6) by Gena Showalter .

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie | 761 comments I'm in. I'm an A and I'll be reading The Darkest Passion.

The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) by Gena Showalter

message 9: by AH (last edited Sep 27, 2010 12:11PM) (new)

AH | 75 comments I'm a C.

And I'll be reading book 1 - The Darkest Night

message 10: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 170 comments I'm in! I'm an A and will read The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld, #6) by Gena Showalter

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 561 comments This month I'm an A and I'll be reading Dark Beginnings / The Darkest Fire / The Darkest Prison / The Darkest Angel  by Gena Showalter .

I love the Lords!!!

message 12: by Becky (last edited Sep 27, 2010 11:40AM) (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 258 comments I am a C-I have heard of her and have always wanted to try something of hers and this is SOOO PERFECT!!!
I am going to start with the first book of her Lords of the Underworld series
The Darkest Night

The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter

message 13: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 822 comments Yes, yes, yes! Finally, an FAC challenge about an author I'm interested in reading or reading more books by!

I'm A & I'm going to read Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #5) by Kresley Cole .

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 350 comments I'm in. I'm an A and I plan to read The Darkest Whisper.

message 15: by GinBee (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 24 comments I'm in! I'm a C and will read The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter

message 16: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments I'm totally new to this author, so I'm a C
I'll be reading "The Darkest Angel" from the anthology Heart of Darkness

message 17: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 1058 comments I'm in. Given that I've only read the first 2 Lords of the Underworld and have had the third in my TBR pile since it was published, I must be a B.

I'll probably go ahead and read The Darkest Pleasure The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kebrand0112) I'm in. I'm a B.

message 19: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lovetoreadgal) | 1167 comments I'm in. I'm a B. I'll be reading Playing with Fire. It's a re-read because I want to read the second in the series by it has been a long time since I read this and want to be fresh before I read Twice as Hot.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 367 comments I'm A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books. I'll be reading The Darkest Lie.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan I'm a C - Will read The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter or Heart of the Dragon (Atlantis, #1) by Gena Showalter

message 22: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Sep 27, 2010 02:19PM) (new)

Fran | 11380 comments I'm a B and I will be reading The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) by Gena Showalter or Catch A Mate by Gena Showalter

message 23: by Darien (new)

Darien (pantsoffreviews) | 12 comments I am an A, and I will be reading The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) by Gena Showalter

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 18 comments I will give it a try. I am a C but all of the books that the others have posted here sound good. I will have to see what is available at my library before I can say which one I will read! But I am looking forward to it!

message 25: by Gail (last edited Sep 27, 2010 01:08PM) (new)

Gail Distefano | 37 comments Ok I will try this one. A friend of mine was talking about the Atlantis series and I believe she has a couple of books and can lend me one. If its not the same series I will pick one up myself, I have never read her books

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments yay!! i totally had one of her books on my list for the month already!

i'm a high B/low A...liked most, but didn't like the LOTU prequel...

i'm going to be reading The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4) by Gena Showalter

message 27: by exxcentrica (new)

exxcentrica I'm an A and I'll be reading Into the Dark (Lords of the Underworld, #.5 & #3.5, Plus Bonus Material, Atlantis, #5) by Gena Showalter

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine (cdunbar) | 635 comments Yay! I love Gena Showalter! I'm an A and I'll be reading The Darkest Night.

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie (katervette) | 117 comments I'm an A and I will read Savor Me Slowly. Savor Me Slowly (Alien Huntress, #3) by Gena Showalter

message 30: by Sheyla Oliveira (new)

Sheyla Oliveira (sh_alayne) | 12 comments I'm a C and I'll read The Darkest Night

message 31: by Sue (new)

Sue (knitwitsl) | 226 comments I'm a B and I will read The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) by Gena Showalter

message 32: by Gigi (last edited Sep 27, 2010 07:22PM) (new)

Gigi | 1149 comments Ok, I've been curious about her so, I'm trying to decide if its going to be The Darkest Fire or The Stone Prince. The Stone Prince  by Gena Showalter The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld, #.5, Prequel) by Gena Showalter

edited to add: Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm a C

message 33: by Ceej (last edited Sep 27, 2010 01:42PM) (new)

Ceej (drqangel) | 1015 comments I am a B and I'll be reading The Pleasure Slave by Gena Showalter or Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1) by Gena Showalter (getting caught in another series)

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Gigi - personally I wouldn't go with the Darkest Fire...for me, I couldn't finish it...so I skipped and read the first one and glad I did...then go back and read the prequel...I would recommend that to anyone who has Darkest Fire on their try one...and read Darkest Night insead...Mattox is awesome!

message 35: by Buggy (last edited Oct 09, 2010 11:30PM) (new)

Buggy | 59 comments I'm in and I'm an A being a fan of the Lords Of The Underworld series. I'm going to read The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5) by Gena Showalter

Finished Oct09/10. Started as an A and still an A. The ending of this book...just destroyed me. Sure I got my HEA but at what cost?

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 118 comments I'm in & Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.

I'll be reading... The Stone Prince  by Gena Showalter & The Pleasure Slave by Gena Showalter

message 37: by Lindy-Lane (last edited Oct 27, 2010 09:09AM) (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 452 comments I'm in and I'am a "C". I'll be reading.....
I finished reading this 10.26. Still a "C".
Catch A Mate Catch A Mate by Gena Showalter

message 38: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ I'm an "A" and I'll be reading The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld, #6) by Gena Showalter

message 39: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin I'm a B. I only read one of her books so far, but really enjoyed it.
I'll be reading The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) by Gena Showalter

message 40: by Caleb (new)

Caleb (ccp981) C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.

Will be reading:
The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld, #.5, Prequel) by Gena Showalter

message 41: by ~Vixhen~ (last edited Oct 09, 2010 09:18PM) (new)

~Vixhen~ (vixhen) | 67 comments I'm a B. I have so many series to finish, and this is one of them! I will be reading The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) by Gena Showalter

I loved this book! It's totally made me an "A"! (finished 10/9/)

message 42: by Amber (new)

Amber | 58 comments I'm an A and am so excited, because I already have one of her books on my TBR for next month for another challenge!

I will be reading The Nymph King (Atlantis, #3) by Gena Showalter

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 211 comments I'm an A.Will read Stone Prince. The Stone Prince  by Gena Showalter

message 44: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 195 comments I am a C and will read Heart of the Dragon

Can anyone advise if this is a good book to start with? I haven't any of her books and my library doesn't have any either so I am buying one. I have found a bundle deal on Kindle that has all five books in the Atlantis series for £10.71 (GBP) so it seems a good deal, but just want to check if it is a recommended series.

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Joanna - i'm not sure about Atlantis, but Amazon has a similar bundle for Lords of the Underworld that I enjoyed (but I skipped the prequel that is included and read it after the fact)

message 46: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 195 comments Thanks, just checked and unfortunately that bundle isn't available in the UK. :(

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments well that sucks! I don't know about atlantis...I asked the paranormal board at Amazon and the overwhelming majority said LOTU over Atlantis

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1102 comments I'm a "C" - My pick is: Heart of the Dragon...Looking forward to this read

message 49: by is mee... kissa (last edited Sep 27, 2010 04:38PM) (new)

is mee... kissa | 551 comments B for me! I'll read the third in the Lords of the Underworld series: The Darkest Pleasure

The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Sign me up. I'm a C to start.

« previous 1 3 4 5