Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: PNR

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Hi guys and gals,

I'm making my list for the next reading challenge, and under the topic of fantasy/PNR, I'm stumped. I usually love fantasy but frankly I'm kinda burned out on it.

I decided to try a PNR, but here's the catch: I don't care for books that are mostly about the romance/sex. Some is fine, but not too much. I like the character attraction to be more than, "Oh, he's/she's hot. I wanna do them." (Unfortunately, I'm noticing that trend in a few UF books now. I don't really read PNR, but I assume it's there too.) In fact, I like when the two characters don't even like each other at first, and their relationship has to develop. I also prefer a decent amount of action/adventure. And if all this wasn't hard enough to find a match for, it needs to be well known enough that my local libraries might have it. I'm on a budget right now. :(

Can anyone help with a recommendation? I'd love any ideas you have. Thanks all.

message 2: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) I think that you will really like:

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona Andrews Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) by Ilona Andrews

Strong lead character, romance is totally not the main issue, Magic, fighting, shapeshifter's.

The first book was a lil slow for me but it got really good.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I think Soulless by Gail Carriger fits your criteria.

message 4: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments the only thing is that most PNR are like that. like the kate daniels series is kinda like how you described but it is urban fantasy. but i also dont like PNR like that i perfer UF where the two characters hate each other at first and fall in love within the next couple of books, i loved those and the kate daniels is a perfect recommendation of that.

i also would recommend:

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill

message 5: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 1 comments For PNR I would suggest Nalini Singh.

Since you enjoy UF, even with her heavy romance aspect you might enjoy her books. The world building around it is fantastic and well-developed. It's enjoyable. With her Psy/Changeling series, the romance and sex usually takes time because of the nature of her Psy characters. The covers are really cheesy, but the books are good.

The first book in her Psy/Changeling series is Slave to Sensation.

message 6: by Coffeentea (new)

Coffeentea | 2 comments Base on your criterion listed, I believe the UF series by Jeaniene Frost, Night Huntress and Chris Marie Green, Vampire Babylon will fit nicely. Night Huntress is about a 1/2 vampire heroine who is a vampire hunter. There's quite a bit of romance but it helps to advance the plot. There's a lot of action because the heroine can really kick butt. The Vampire Babylon series is about an ex-Hollywood stunt woman whose father went missing, so she came home to help her father's boss to find him.

message 7: by formlit (last edited Sep 27, 2010 04:05PM) (new)

formlit  | 19 comments A lot of both urban fantasy and PNR are like that. I guess you might like Eileen Wilks Lupi books. It is not PNR, but the In Death books by JD Robb fit some of that criteria, too.

message 8: by Destiny (new)

Destiny (destiny84) I think the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning would be right up your alley. :)

message 9: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 27, 2010 10:03PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Lisa MH said : "I don't care for books that are mostly about the romance/sex..."

That's pretty much what PNR is. It's paranormal romance, emphasis on the romance. If you want more storyline or a slow build relationship, you're looking at UF.

PNR seems to be about the "hookup and HEA." Usually because it focuses on one couple per book, so there isn't really time to build the relationship.

I'd second most of the series mentioned, but they all pretty much fit into the UF category instead of PNR. I'm not sure if I've read a PNR that fits what you're looking for, unless it's YA.

message 10: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments Stacia wrote: "Lisa MH said : "I don't care for books that are mostly about the romance/sex..."

That's pretty much what PNR is. It's paranormal romance, emphasis on the romance. If you want more storyline or..."

i was thinking exactly ur thoughts. that is wht PNR is and that in her description she would be looking for UF. PNR focuses on romance. ive neva read a PNR fit into the category, but most of wht she would be looking for is UF.

message 11: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 138 comments I think from this list of my favorite Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance series you should find something you like, too:
Nora Robert’s The Circle Trilogy
Patricia Briggs’s Mercy Thompson series
Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter
Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock series
Chloe Neill’s Chicagoland Vampires series
Carrie Vaughn’s Kitty Norville series
Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series
Carole Nelson Douglas’s Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator series
Justin Gustainis’s Quincy Morris Supernatural Investigation series
C. E. Murphy’s The Negotiator Trilogy and The Walker Papers series
Christine Warren’s The Others series
Yasmine Galenorn’s Sisters of the Moon/Otherworld series
Kim Harrison’s Rachel Morgan series
Mercedes Lackey’s Diana Tregarde Investigation series
Laura Anne Gilman's Paranormal Scenes Investigations series
Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series
Seanan McGuire's October Daye series
Jane Lindskold's Breaking the Wall series

message 12: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments Joseph wrote: "I think from this list of my favorite Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance series you should find something you like, too:
Nora Robert’s The Circle Trilogy
Patricia Briggs’s Mercy Thompson series
..."

im also looking out for some new series, i think ill check out some of ur stuff.

message 13: by Julia (last edited Sep 28, 2010 06:22AM) (new)

Julia | 615 comments I have found that I don't care for PNR either, so when I come to that I category in the challenge I look for fantasy.

But you say you're burned out on fantasy so some unusual fantasy novels that your library might have:

*Gentlemen of the Road: A Tale of Adventure by Michael Chabon Gentlemen of the Road A Tale of Adventure by Michael Chabon .
*War for the Oaks by Emma Bull War for the Oaks by Emma Bull
*Or Emma Bull's Territory by Emma Bull , a western/ fantasy.
* Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8), Trader (Newford, #7), Moonlight & Vines (Newford, #9) all by Charles de Lint Moonlight & Vines (Newford, #9)  by Charles de Lint ; Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8)  by Charles de Lint ; Trader (Newford, #7)  by Charles de Lint . Or any other Newford book by Charles de Lint, it's a series in that it's all got the same setting, a Northeastern city that might be American or Canadian where there is magic for those who can see it, but there is no particular order in which to read them...
* His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik alternate history, it's the War of 1812 as Americans call it and Britain is fighting Napolean and the French and dragons are separate branch of the military of most countries.

message 14: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Sorry it took so long to reply to the suggestions. I've been busy. Whoops.

There are some excellent suggestions here, several of which I've actually read, so I know they're great books.

@Stacia and Mariya, I agree too. I'm on a complete UF fix right now and finding a PNR book might prove difficult.

I'll check out the descriptions of these books and see what catches my eye. Some of Julia's ideas sounded good too, so maybe I will fall back onto the fantasy genre and try one of those.

Thanks for all the ideas! :)

message 15: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments Lisa MH wrote: "Sorry it took so long to reply to the suggestions. I've been busy. Whoops.

There are some excellent suggestions here, several of which I've actually read, so I know they're great books.

@Stac..."

i knoe how u mean though. PNR is also difficult for me, i perfer UF, b/c i love the whole sexual tension and where the characters relationship develops before the get together. i also love the hate/love relationships.....i havent been able to get into PNR in a while, not that many that are like WOW to me. UF is like OMFG I WANT MORE!!! hahaha.

but i did start the highlanders by karen marie moning, i dont knoe if you've read it. i started wit book 4 and i read book 5 and the beginning is kinda like a love/hate a little bit. and its pretty good.

message 16: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Mariya wrote: "but i did start the highlanders by karen marie moning, i dont knoe if you've read it. i started wit book 4 and i read book 5 and the beginning is kinda like a love/hate a little bit. and its pretty good..."

I've never read any of her stuff, altho I recognize both her name and the series name. Is that one a PNR?

message 17: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) You have to read the Fever Series, it's soooo good.

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning
and Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning will be released 1/18/11

message 18: by Regina (last edited Sep 29, 2010 11:03AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) A great fantasy series, romance is very light and in the background -- but I highly recommend it (it is not UF -- all of the series I would have recommended have already been recommended) is the Earthsea trilogy (but it is actually more than 1 book), here it he first:

A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin

Also, my favorite UF series right now is Downside Ghosts by Stacia Kane:

Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) by Stacia Kane

message 19: by K (new)

K | 20 comments Oh there's also Ilona Andrews' Edge books, I think they might be considered more PNR than UF

On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2) by Ilona Andrews

message 20: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments I've heard lots of good things about the Fever series. I've considered reading it before, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've also thought about the Edge books, since I liked the other Ilona Andrews book I read. Heh, I already have Unholy Ghosts on my list for the next challenge. :)

Thanks for suggestions!

message 21: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments Lisa MH wrote: "Mariya wrote: "but i did start the highlanders by karen marie moning, i dont knoe if you've read it. i started wit book 4 and i read book 5 and the beginning is kinda like a love/hate a little bit...."

oh, i was sure you've read her other series, the fever series by KKM, but yea. her stuff is really good. try the fever series first though, its a really good urban fantasy series.

message 22: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 14 comments I actually prefer PNR, but I have been getting into UF like the Jeaniene Frost Night Huntress series.

Another good suggestion for PNR series with some good action, adventure, fantasy and other worldly creatures is the Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole.

A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6) by Kresley Cole Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5) by Kresley Cole No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) by Kresley Cole Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #9) by Kresley Cole Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #5) by Kresley Cole

Also as someone else suggested Nalini Singh's series' either Psy-Changeling or her Guild Hunter series (which is borderline PNR and UF).

And you haven't tried PNR until you've read BDB, the Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward.

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5) by J.R. Ward Lover Enshrined (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6) by J.R. Ward Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward The Black Dagger Brotherhood An Insider's Guide by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

message 23: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments i didnt like BDB. ive read some other PNR like the demonica series and the nightwalkers, but i have to say i really didnt like BDB series, i really dont see why it is as popular as it is.

message 24: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 14 comments I do love Demonica also.

Did you read all the BDB? I'm surprised, you are the first person that I know that didn't like the BDB (although I'm sure there are plenty more, lol).

message 25: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments ive also talked to a few who also havent liked it that much, ive only read the first 2 the second was a bit better than the first but these didnt grab me to continue, they were just okaiexz...i plan to read some more but they r not my top prioty in books i want to read rite now.

message 26: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 36 comments I have to agree with Mariya about the BDB. I couldn't get through book 1. It just didn't grab me. Although, this could be because I prefer urban fantasy over PNR anyday. I love the fact that a character's story gets told over multiple books, even though waiting for the next in the series is horrible. I just like stories with adventure, and action, and that are lighter on the romance. But I did like some of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters, and I like the Night Huntress World novels.

message 27: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 14 comments I hear you. I didn't like the 1st one, Dark Lover so much when I read it the first time and it is STILL my least favorite book. Rhage, the 2nd book I did love, but Zsadist which it the 3rd book, Lover Awakened is most peoples favorite, since he's that tortured soul.

But, I hear you. I usually give a series the first 2 books to capture me after that they get tossed aside. lol I felt that way about the Midnight Breed series by Lara Adrian. Although I did read all the books in the series so far (b/c I didn't have anything else to read at the time), they all left me like, "Yeah it was good, but ehhh" Overall I thought they were just OK.

message 28: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 14 comments Yes, I've read the Dark Hunters series. That's also one of my favs.

message 29: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments i do plan on reading Zsadist's book b/c i heard that its so good and the storyline from book 2 kinda was leading into the next book, so ill determine if i want to continue after book 3 but i also perfer UF b/c i like how the couple has this sexual tension and possible will not get together for a couple of book, i like to see a relationship develop. i dont like how in a PNR that 2 characters get thrown together, but some PNR if they interest my enough, wit other things beside the romance ill read it, like the demonica series where the hosipital is big thing and they have lots of other interactions wit other characters and they are funny, like i love wraith(demonica), he's always saying something funny. but i like PNR, but i like UF 10X more.

message 30: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 14 comments Yes, I do like the sexual tension in UF. :) I think I got my first taste with the Night Huntress series, and can't get enough of Bones! :D

message 31: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments night huntress was my first adult series, and such a great intro to it. oh, bones.

message 32: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) Zsadist's book was sooo good!

message 33: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Mariya which book did you stop on for BDB? Many people don't like the slang the brothers throw back and forth -- and sometimes Ward is not the best writer (e.g. the lesser parts, until the last two books, I skipped all the lesser parts). Dark Lover was not the best at all. Rhage's book was okay for me. Ward really evolves, I know everyone loves Zsadist and his book was very very good but for me, the clincher was Butch's Book and V's book. However, by the time Ward get's Butch's book (which is number 3, right?) Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward it is clear that she is no longer donig the typical PNR (everything resolved at the end of 1 book). She leaves lovers hanging, she is introducng characters that take several books to mature and have their issues resolve -- very similar to UF. Also, by the time Rehv's books comes along Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward , I think Ward has evolved away from straight PNR. I don't put her in PNR anymore -- the world is very complex that she has created. The characters are in it to stay, and not just passing through once they have their mate -- they play very complex parts in the story. The last one was just amazing: Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward

Anyway, I really like Ward was finding her way with her first few books. Developing her world, etc. Many people like #1 just b/c Wrath is so likeable, but I really think she finds her way by book #3. I am enjoying Demonica series, but if I were to compare Ward's #3 and after with the Demonica series -- i would say BDB is better. And I don't really like PNR. But, everyone does have their own tastes and not every series is for everyone!

I am listening to Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7) by Karen Marie Moning at work right now (I have read it before) and I am at the part where Cian and Daegus meet! I love that part. :)

message 34: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 60 comments i stopped at rhage's book (book 2)

message 35: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 14 comments Yes, Butch was book #4...Lover Revealed Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4) by J.R. Ward .

BDB was my first adult series. I read Twilight last Thanksgiving and went ape crazy with book reading. lol. Then went to Vampire Academy (which I loved) and the to BDB. I haven't stopped since.

message 36: by Enjee (new)

Enjee I loved the dragon kin series by G.A. Aiken They are PNR, but not urban fantasy. Very funny.

Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1) by G.A. Aiken About A Dragon (Dragon Kin, #2) by G.A. Aiken What A Dragon Should Know (Dragon Kin, #3) by G.A. Aiken Last Dragon Standing (Dragon Kin, #4) by G.A. Aiken

message 37: by Angelika (new)

Angelika | 24 comments Jenese wrote: "I do love Demonica also.

Did you read all the BDB? I'm surprised, you are the first person that I know that didn't like the BDB (although I'm sure there are plenty more, lol)."

Unfortunately, I'm one of those. I have them all and do plan to finish the ones I haven't read yet. As per Mariya, they just aren't at the top of my list. I've read others I liked better.

message 38: by Akaria (last edited Oct 12, 2010 08:30AM) (new)

Akaria Gale | 21 comments Someone suggested Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series. I'd also recommend her Guild Hunter series. I love the world she created with angels, vampires and humans all out in the open. The hero and heroine get together in the first book but it's far from easy sailing for them and we continue to follow them into the next books. There was more romance than a typical UF but less than a typical PNR. Maybe it's a new genre? Romantic UF? I'd read it! Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh is the first book.

message 39: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 13 comments It's kind of tricky.... A couple series come to mind if you like fantasy with only a small helping or sex on the side. The cybermage books by Kelly MacCullough Spellcrash, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and maybe Simon Green's Nightside Something from the Nightside Oh, and maybe Lilith Saintcrow.Working for the Devil or Changeless by Gail Carriger or Divine Fire

Do you do e-books? There are some series only available in e.