Great Books for Christians discussion

Fav quotes or ideas from the BoS > Chapter 2: How could a good God allow suffering

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony (last edited Sep 27, 2010 03:36AM) (new)

Anthony (gerbs) "Tucked away within the assertion that the world is filled with pointless evil [AJG: thus showing that God does not exist] is hidden a premise, namely, that if evil appears pointless to me, then is must be pointless.
This reasoning is of course, fallacious. Just because you can't see or imagine a good reason why God might allow something to happen doesn't mean there can't be one." (p23)

This argument is similar to the one that I find most useful to use when people say that "the presence of evil shows there is no god", specifically I say something like, "evil and suffering disprove the exisitence of God ONLY IF we can prove that God could not have a good reason for allowing evil/suffering to exist". Chew on that one for a while :-)

message 2: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (gerbs) "though Christianity does not provide the reason for each experience of pain, it provides deep resources for actually facing suffering with hope and courage rather than bitterness and despair." (p28-29)

So often we want answers to our own personal pain and suffering. Keller helpfully concedes that we may never know the reasons, but regardless of answers we still have deep resopurces for coping.

These resources come from the gospel of Jesus, the son of God who voluntarily entered our suffering in order to rescue us from eternal suffering.

Keller's unpacking of the cross and human suffering is good for a Christian audience with some background knowledge, but I do wonder if it would be lost on a unchurched person.

message 3: by Al (new)

Al Garlando (algarlando) | 5 comments p29 -

If you have a God great and transcendent enough to be mad at because he hasn’t stopped evil and suffering in the world, then you have (at the same moment) a God great and transcendent enough to have good reasons for allowing it to continue that you can’t know. Indeed, you can’t have it both ways.

http://wp.me/p3zEp-u7