What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Contemporary orthodox NY Jewish girl's childhood and marriage [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Debbi | 9 comments Hello all you brilliant sleuths! I'm trying to recall the name of a book I read about the growing up, courtship, marriage and young married life of a contemporary orthodox Jewish girl in NY, I think Brooklyn. There are three (I think) sisters, the dad has entrepreneurial fantasies, there's a long section about preparations for Passover and Seder, and -- this may be the best memory-jogger -- for some reason, I recall a large image of a bunch of broccoli on the front cover. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! -- cheers, Deb

message 2: by Debbi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Debbi | 9 comments Oh my, I just answered my own question, by googling key terms including broccoli -- the book is "The Outside World" by Tova Mirvis. As a non-Jew, I really enjoyed the "through the keyhole" this permitted me into orthodox cultures, teaching me not only about specific customs, but also correcting my misimpression that "orthodox" means just one thing, rather than a substantail left-to-right philosophical range. -- Deb

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 3996 comments The Outside World for the link.