Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Anne Rice

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Waiting to read 2 of my Value Village finds Pandora (New Tales of the Vampires, Book 1) by Anne Rice Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice .. And it got me thinking, I need to do a few re-reads of her older stuff.. I remember very little about it. Now not 'romance' still good stuff nonetheless..

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments I just got from the library the book in her Sleeping Beauty series! Have you read that one yet? I'm hearing mixed reviews about it

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

No I haven't, But I want to. I hear they're pretty hardcore erotica.. But very well written.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Shell wrote: "No I haven't, But I want to. I hear they're pretty hardcore erotica.. But very well written."

That's why I wanted to read them ;) lol I want to see if they live up to all the "hype" I've been hearing. I recently read her "Exit To Eden" which she wrote under a different name. Wasn't too bad. Got a little boring towards the end but it was okay I guess.

message 5: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Jessica wrote: "Shell wrote: "No I haven't, But I want to. I hear they're pretty hardcore erotica.. But very well written."

That's why I wanted to read them ;) lol I want to see if they live up to all the "hyp..."

That's the appeal for me too.. Apparently they get quite kinky, to the point of some finding it uncomfortable.. for me.. I'm all.. ehh, to each their own... Still wanna read about it.. lol

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments LOL...I"m exactly the same way!!! Regardless of um...what I'm into...I still LOVE to read about it ALL!!! :) I say the dirtier/raunchier the better!

message 7: by EvaS (last edited Sep 27, 2010 10:52AM) (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments She is one of my all time fav authors and I've read everything she has ever written - with the exception of her latest book about Jesus... it was just not my reading preference. I LOVE her style and I haven't yet been disappointed in any of her books. The Beauty series is Erotica for sure, and not the flowery/romantic type. I liked the 2 books you listed Shell, but like you said: to each their own. Personally, I love the way she writes vamps - the way I see them: powerful, tortured, brutal... not the romantic vision most authors write about.... so being the Twilight fan that you are, Shell, you may not like it. All her books are descriptive and full of imagery. Her skill at world-building astounds me every time.

message 8: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

True.. I am a TWERD.. but my first love was Anne Rice, back in the day.. Queen of the Damned, Vampire Lestat, Interview.. etc, etc. It's just been FOREVER, since I read anything by her.

message 9: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Jessica wrote: "LOL...I"m exactly the same way!!! Regardless of um...what I'm into...I still LOVE to read about it ALL!!! :) I say the dirtier/raunchier the better!"

Amen...

message 10: by Michelle (last edited Sep 28, 2010 09:45AM) (new)

Michelle K (anotherlookbook) | 44 comments Jessica, I have never read anything like the Anne Rice "Sleeping Beauty" series. By the time I was on page 7 I was like OMG! There is so much spanking in that series. It was hard core erotica. Oh BTW I loved the series. I just quickly copy and pasted my review on them because I was getting so tired of negative reviews on Amazon. I just pasted in here if you want to read what I thought about them.

These are Adult FairyTale FANTASY books. Please do not read these books and base them on real life. I need to make that clear. I LOVE these books and think about them often. They are mind blowingly wonderful but fully fantasy. I chuckle when people review "that could never happen" or something like that because, UHM YEAH! not real life. Be warned, there is major kink and lots of spanking.

Pretty much everyone in this world is bi-sexual.
The naked slaves never get cold.
Seems to skip right over winter.
No woman's periods, no STI's or STD's and constant intercourse without protection doesn't seem to result in pregnancy.
This is not a manual of the BDSM lifestyle.
There seems to be hundreds and hundreds of princes and princesses and of course, they are all beautiful.
This is out and out a full on fantasy world and it is wonderfully erotic. I am sure that these books are not everyone's cup of tea but I was very much taken in with this fantasy world.

message 11: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Totally sound like my cup of tea Michelle.. I am TOTALLY ordering them now.... lol

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 160 comments Shell wrote: "Totally sound like my cup of tea Michelle.. I am TOTALLY ordering them now.... lol"

HA HA Mine too Shell!!! Thanks Michelle!!
That's one thing I don't get about some people. Hello you are reading FICTION!! of course it's not going to be 100% believable!!! Sheesh...if you wanted "REAL" take your butt over to the non-fiction side thanks!! :) lol and leave us "dreamers" to hot/juicy/good stuff!!

message 13: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments Ok, now I may have to re-read the Beauty series.... they were the first erotica I ever read, so it was a bit overwhelming. It's been a number of years (and a whole lota other juicy books and life experiences) since I read them, so it may be time!

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle K (anotherlookbook) | 44 comments I cannot wait to read what you guys think about them! Keep me posted.

message 15: by Kelly (last edited Nov 04, 2010 06:39PM) (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Eva wrote: "Ok, now I may have to re-read the Beauty series.... they were the first erotica I ever read, so it was a bit overwhelming. It's been a number of years (and a whole lota other juicy books and life e..."

What did you think of Belinda Eva? it is on my Favorite shelf. I LOVED it.
I didn't care for the Beauty series. I actually only read book 1. Her writing is fantastic but I just couldn't get past the abuse.

message 16: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments I wanted to read the beauty series, I love reading fairy tales retold. I love that kind of stuff, but I'm a little heistant to read something under the eroitica genere

message 17: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I was too Ottilie... I have read one or two...They're not bad if the storyline is good.

message 18: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments haha that's good to know

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle K (anotherlookbook) | 44 comments Ottilie that only thing I would suggest is to read another erotica book first. The Beauty series is quite heavy with erotica and not exactly the books I'd recommend for the first go at it. I loved the series alot and as long as folks remember that this is fairy tale they will enjoy those books.

message 20: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments haha good to know

message 21: by EvaS (last edited Nov 07, 2010 03:34PM) (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments Kelly wrote: "What did you think of Belinda Eva? it is on my Favorite shelf"

Loved it too! The beauty series is more intense and dark, but I did enjoy them both for different reasons.

message 22: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments What do people think of the witching hour? my mom gave it to me.

message 23: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments Ottilie wrote: "What do people think of the witching hour? my mom gave it to me."

I read the entire Mayfair Witch series, and liked all the books but the first one was quite slow. If it wasn't for the fact that I loved her writing I don't think I would have finished it, personally... I still remember that I kept waiting for something to happen to the lady in the wheelchair.... aspects of it were a bit anti-climactic for me. The others in the series are better - Taltos is my fav - and I did enjoy the series.

message 24: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments okay cause I heard it was slow, and I look at the length so I haven't had much motivation to read it. I did not know it was a series, but that's good to hear

message 25: by EvaS (last edited Nov 07, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 70 comments Lives of the Mayfair Witches Trilogy
The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches book 1) by Anne Rice Lasher (Lives of the Mayfair Witches #2) by Anne Rice Taltos (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #3) by Anne Rice

message 26: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments oh cool thanks!

message 27: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Slade (marlenekslade) | 9 comments Anne Rice is an awesome writer! I highly recommend The Tale of the Body Thief, which is a part of the Vampire Chronicles.

message 28: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments haha wouldn't i need the whole series for that?

message 29: by Marlene (last edited Nov 22, 2010 08:27PM) (new)

Marlene Slade (marlenekslade) | 9 comments Hi Ottilie - The Tale of The Body Thief is the 4th book in the series after Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and Queen of the Damned. Interview is my all-time favorite followed by The Body Thief, but The Vampire Lestat is also well done. Queen of the Damned was good also, but I love the others better and yes there are more books that follow in the chronicles, but these four in my opinion are the best of the lot.

message 30: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments okay cool I'll add them to my list!

message 31: by Rea (new)

Rea I've tried Anne Rice three times. The Witching Hour, The Vampire Lestat and The Mummy. I failed to even reach page 100 all three times :(. Funny as I love the film versions of her books. I'm tempted to go back and try The Mummy again.

message 32: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments Oh wow the mummy was hers? I loved that movie

message 33: by Rea (new)

Rea Well, no. A different mummy. The full title is The Mummy, or Ramses the Damned... or something like that.

The Mummy by Anne Rice

I was 16 when I tried to read it and it just didn't catch my attention at all. And, of course, now that I feel like trying again, the book is in another country. Typical.

message 34: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 438 comments Yikes!