Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2010-10 - Biography - What will you read in October?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Biography is the shelf pick for October.
Post your reading plans here :0)

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/b...

message 3: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments I happen to have the audiobook Homer's Odyssey: a Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned About Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat sitting here right now. We will listen to it on our road trip next weekend. I'll start with that one.

I was surprised to see how many of my TBRs are biographies. And how many more I added to my TBR list as I was looking through the Biography shelf. If you would have asked me a few months ago if I enjoyed biographies I would have said no.

message 4: by Blarneygod (new)

Blarneygod | 221 comments I plan to only read one book this month, but I have not narrowed it down yet. So I will read one of these books:

Eat, Pray, Love
The Glass Castle
Under the Tuscan Sun
Little House on the Prairie
Marley & Me: Love and Life with the World's Worst Dog
Seabiscuit
In Cold Blood

Anyone have any advice for which one of these books I should read this October? I am leaning toward Little house on the Prairie because it is the smallest.

message 5: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leo23) I read In Cold Blood a while ago for one of our shelves (can't remember which one) and although certainly not a happy read - was a very interesting book.

message 6: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leo23) I will pick some from my YOU CHOOSE challenge but unfortunately won't help me get my first task finished :( but great pick anyway.
Start with Lopsided: How Having Breast Cancer Can Be Really Distracting and Love in a Torn Land: Joanna of Kurdistan: The True Story of a Freedom Fighter's Flight from Iraqi Vengeance.

message 7: by Tara (last edited Oct 11, 2010 09:57AM) (new)

message 8: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments This is a good shelf, so many possibilities. I'll try to read at least one this month, but I literally just got a book for Sept's shelf from the library today, so we will see...

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid
I Love Yous Are for White People
The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary
Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise

message 9: by Nathan (new)

Nathan In October I will be reading Night, by Elie Wiesel (If I can get a copy)
October is a pretty eventful month for me, on the first it's my birthday (More books! =p), I have Night to read, as well as many more books, and there is an event on a game I play called Oktoberfest.

Hail the tenth month! =D

message 10: by Slayermel (new)

Slayermel | 664 comments Here, Here October Rock's. My birthday is on the 16th, I was supposed to be born on the 1st but to my mum's dismay I came 15 days late :0)

message 12: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1667 comments I'm going to try John Adams for the biography and maybe Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy if I have enough time.

message 13: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Blarneygod wrote: "I plan to only read one book this month, but I have not narrowed it down yet. So I will read one of these books:

Eat, Pray, Love
The Glass Castle
[book:Under the Tuscan Su..."

I found Eat, Pray, Love to be a very quick read even if it is longer than Little House. I laughed a ton and it also provided lots to think about if you like a little spiritual introspection. I would recommend that one.

Of that list, Under the Tuscan Sun and Seabiscuit would come next in line for recommendations.

message 14: by Luann (last edited Sep 27, 2010 11:56PM) (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments I'll definitely read at least Agatha Christie's An Autobiography this month. I have it sitting here in my stack from the library and had it planned already for YOU CHOOSE. (AND it was a recommendation from Mitzie here in Pick-a-Shelf.) So it works out perfectly.

ETA: Just noticed that several people have shelved another of my YOU CHOOSE books, Candyfreak: A Journey through the Chocolate Underbelly of America, as biography, so I'll be reading that in October as well.

2nd ETA: Oh, and also My Life in Dog Years and Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers both by Gary Paulsen! :)

message 16: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) I am going to start with Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog and see how things flow from there.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
I don't think of biography as one of my favorite genres, so I was surprised when I reviewed the shelf to see how many I have already read. Good choice, Crystal!

I just picked up Borges: A Life as a result of making my way through Labyrinths during September.

And while browsing the shelf, I realized that Reading Lolita in Tehran would fit as a "started but never finished" book for my challenge.

So I'll start with one of them and see what happens.

message 18: by Raquel (new)

Raquel | 1 comments Hello
I'm happy to be in your group.
I'll read The Autobiography Of Benjamin Franklin

message 20: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Sep 27, 2010 11:56AM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2834 comments Mod
I am sooooooo excited! I love biographies!

Here is my list:

Samurai William: The Englishman Who Opened Japan by Giles Milton
Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser (since I didn't even get halfway through on the French shelf. AND it will count as one of my started but never finished books!)
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang
Thomas Cromwell: Henry VIII's Most Notorious Minister: The Rise and Fall of a Tudor Tyrant: The Rise and Fall of Henry VIII's Most Notorious Minister by Robert Hutchinson

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_grove) | 7 comments So excited for the new shelf! I plan on reading Anne Frank: The Book, The Life, The Afterlife.

For those mentioning Eat, Pray, Love and The Glass Castle-- I've read both. I liked EPL more while I was reading it than after I was done. It was exactly the opposite with TGC, for whatever that's worth! :-)

message 22: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments I hope to read:

Portrait of a Killer: Jack The Ripper - Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell

and

She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders by Jennifer Finney Boylan

There are so many more to choose from, but I must restrain myself. It never works out well for me to plan too many. Those are never the ones that show up from the library. *sigh*

message 23: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Raquel wrote: "Hello
I'm happy to be in your group.
I'll read The Autobiography Of Benjamin Franklin"

Welcome, Raquel!

message 24: by Vivian (new)

Vivian (_vivian) | 192 comments Luann wrote: "...my YOU CHOOSE books, Candyfreak: A Journey through the Chocolate Underbelly of America, as biography, so I'll be reading that in October as well. "

Sounds fun, added yet another to the ever-expanding TBR list.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3466 comments Mod
Adrienne wrote: "I hope to read:

That sounds intriguing, Adrienne. I'll have to add it to my list, too.

Adrienne wrote: "I hope to read:

Portrait of a Killer: Jack The Ripper - Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell

and

There are ..."

I will be anxious to see what you think of the Jack the Ripper book. It looks intriguing.

message 27: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy_t) | 44 comments I've also started and not finished Marie Antoinette: The Journey, and since I already have it I'll try to finish it in October.

Several others caught my eye as well. I'll try to read them if I have time. I've been studying a lot for a test I'm taking for work and haven't been keeping up with my group reading recently. I'll try to get to one of these if I can.

Catch Me If You Can
Going Rogue: An American Life
Portrait of a Killer: Jack The Ripper - Case Closed
Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation
Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl

message 28: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) Lyn M wrote: "I am sooooooo excited! I love biographies!

Here is my list:

Samurai William: The Englishman Who Opened Japan by Giles Milton
[book:Marie Antoinette: The Journe..."

Start on "Wild Swans" and then if you finish it at my house I can read it too!

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) I'm currently listening to Queen Isabella: Treachery, Adultery, and Murder in Medieval England and if I get that finished, only about twelve hours left, then I'm going to start listening to The Rockefellers: An American Dynasty.

As for actual books I'm going to start with The Pianist: The Extraordinary True Story of One Man's Survival in Warsaw, 1939-1945 and Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love

message 31: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) I have a few books to consider reading for this month. I am currently reading Open by Andre Agassi. I also have the Diary of Anne Frank, Why the Caged Bird Sings that I could also read for this month.

message 32: by Stormy (new)

Stormy | 10 comments I'm new here and I think I'll start with Infidel for now.

message 33: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Welcome, Kerste!

message 34: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I'll be reading The Glass Castle.

message 35: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) I am currently reading .Open: An Autobiography by Andre Agassi. I don't know what I will read next. I have quite a few on my TBR piles.

message 36: by J. Travis (last edited Oct 25, 2010 05:07PM) (new)

J. Travis Moger | 50 comments The biographies on my to-read shelf are pretty eclectic. I hope to read one or more of these:

Martha Matilda Harper and the American Dream: How One Woman Changed the Face of Modern Business 10/25/2010
Calvin
The Pursuit of Truth: A Historian's Memoir
I Have Lived Before: The True Story of the Reincarnation of Shanti Devi
David's Secret Demons: Messiah, Murderer, Traitor, King

Edit: On my literal bookshelf I found several biographies including Saint Francis of Assisi by G.K. Chesterton, which is really short, and two biographies of Thomas More: Thomas More: A Biography by Richard Marius and Thomas More by R.W. Chambers. I might read one of these too.

message 37: by Dhitri (last edited Sep 30, 2010 05:48AM) (new)

Dhitri I plan to read Brother, I'm Dying by Edwidge Danticat, a memoir by an acclaimed Haitian writer about growing up in two worlds, in oppressed Haiti and then later, in the United States. This book was suggested to me by a member of the Oprah Book Club here at goodreads and after reading all the glowing reviews, I just had to put all of the other books I plan to read that month! Also, it seemed such a great pick because we are nearing the 1st anniversary of the Haiti earth quake.

I also plan to check out The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope which tells the story of a self-taught Malawian boy using junkyard parts to build windmills and bring life-changing electricity to his village. It's supposed to be very moving and the subject is in line with my clean energy studies (so I hope this book inspires me to work harder on my assignments!).

Lynne wrote: "I have the following books on my shelves at home:

Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela
[book:The Agony and the Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo|3..."

Planning on doing a lot of reading in October are you?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily | 53 comments I'm going to read Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain and Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler definately. Hopefully I'll also get to some others which can help me fill in my nonfiction section my my you choose challenge also.

message 41: by J. Travis (new)

J. Travis Moger | 50 comments Adhityani wrote: "I plan to read Brother, I'm Dying by Edwidge Danticat, a memoir by an acclaimed Haitian writer about growing up in two worlds, in oppressed Haiti and then later, in the United States...."

I read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope. It's not great literature, but it is an interesting story and an easy book to get through. I hope you like it!

message 42: by Vigdis (new)

Vigdis | 4 comments I'm going to read E=mc2: A Biography of the World's Most Famous Equation and Me Talk Pretty One Day. I haven't read a lot of biographies before, so I think I'll just stick to these two. If I finnish them quickly, I will probably read Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl too. It's been in my shelves for ages.

message 43: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (carolynstaub) I just started The Glass Castle and so far, so good! I reserved The Story of My Life at my library...so I have those 2 so far to read for this month...I will probably add more!

message 45: by CassandraJulia (new)

CassandraJulia (goodreadscomcassandraj) | 11 comments The Glass Castle is great!

message 46: by Sara (last edited Oct 10, 2010 12:10PM) (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments Ok, so September shelf didn't happen for me. I am definitely reading this month. I am going to read The Zookeeper's Wife which I was not aware was on this shelf.

message 47: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) | 196 comments Adding one more... The Lucky Ones: One Family and the Extraordinary Invention of Chinese America which I recently received as a giveaway on here. What a great month!

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 286 comments I think I have a copy of Madame Curie: A Biography somewhere, so I'll pull that out at least. Not sure what else I might read this month.

message 49: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 638 comments Sara wrote: "Ok, so September shelf didn't happen for me. I am definitely reading this month. I am going to read Walt Disney: An American Original because I have a copy of it and it has been on ..."

I just bought The Zookeeper's Wife at a library sale so I'll be interested what you think. I'm not sure I'll get to it this month.

message 50: by onarock (new)

onarock | 107 comments just got back from a week of camping....and lots of reading.....very excited about this months pick

did not think i read a biography completely, but looking at some of these titles, i realize i have...hmmm

i am excited to read The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman .....this will definately be a new experience in reading for me.

k

« previous 1