Historical Fictionistas discussion

Group Read Discussions > October/November Group Read: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Sep 26, 2010 08:37AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3414 comments Mod
Hi all, nomination time again!

Please nominate ONE Historical Fiction book you would like to read for October-November. Please remember to link to the title!

Please be sure to check the group shelves to make sure that we have not previously read the book you nominate. :)

Nominations will close on October 1 and then we'll vote.

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (new)

My recommendation is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I've had this book on my shelf for a while now, and I've been wanting to read it, but haven't gotten around to it. I think it would have a great feel for an October read as well... :)

message 3: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Becky, same here. That sounds like a great idea to me.

message 4: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Barbara, can you please link to the book using the add book/author link? Thank you!

message 5: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Barbara wrote: "Don't laugh, but I'm pretty new to this & don't know how to do this. Help!!! So Sorry!!!"

Oh no problem! If you click on "edit" in your post #4, it'll put your comment back in the comment box, and then all you have to do is click the "add book/author" link right above the comment box. This will bring up a search window, and you'd search for the book as usual, and then click "add" which will give you a link, like this: The Shadow of the Wind. Then just click post again, and you're done. :)

message 6: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Although I also want to read The Shadow of the Wind and would be quite content for it to win, I would like to nominate Flow Down Like Silver: Hypatia of Alexandria by Ki Longfellow. I've had it on my shelf at home for a year now, and my reading of it keeps getting postponed. Even if it doesn't get the vote, I hope some others will find it interesting enough to add to their own TBR list, as the central character deserves more attention, in my opinion, and the reviews of this book are quite encouraging.

message 7: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Barbara wrote: "Thsnks so much, I think it worked."

Thanks! :D

message 8: by Leland (new)

Leland (lelandhw) Becky wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Don't laugh, but I'm pretty new to this & don't know how to do this. Help!!! So Sorry!!!"

Oh no problem! If you click on "edit" in your post #4, it'll put your comment back in th..."

O_o I had no idea to do that. All this time I've been using straight html. *sigh*

message 9: by Becky, Moddess (new)

LOL! That works too Leslie, of course, but this is easier. ;)

message 10: by Terri (last edited Sep 26, 2010 02:31PM) (new)

Terri Oh Leslie *shakes head* poor innocent Leslie.
And Barbara too, poor innocent Barbara.

I'd like to nominate;
Godiva

Thanks. :-)

message 11: by Tasha (new)

Tasha What about Crestmont Crestmont by Holly Weiss ?

message 12: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) I know Crestmontworks for me as well since I am waiting for it to arrive.

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (harshmallow) | 397 comments Black Ships by Jo Graham. Although it's usually billed as "fantasy", I'd call it historical fiction with fantastical elements. It's a retelling of Virgil's Aeneid. I read it a few weeks ago and really, really enjoyed it.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden because it would be interesting to step away from European history for a month. And I've heard nothing but praise for this book.

message 14: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2793 comments I suggest Memoirs of a Geisha too.

message 15: by Becky, Moddess (new)

OK so far we have:
Shadow of the Wind
The Year of the French
Flow Down Like Silver: Hypatia of Alexandria
Godiva
Crestmont
Black Ships
Memoirs of a Geisha

There's no need to second nominations... Everything nominated will make it into the poll. :)

message 16: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) I have no idea what to nominate. What a tough choice.....

message 17: by LemonLinda (last edited Sep 27, 2010 08:45AM) (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 675 comments Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Elegantly written and remarkably rich in detail, Loving Frank is a fitting tribute to a courageous woman, a national icon (Frank Lloyd Wright), and their timeless love story.

The Rice Mother by Rani Manicka

Nothing in Lakshmi's childhood, running carefree and barefoot on the sun-baked earth amid the coconut and mango trees of Ceylon, could have prepared her for what life was to bring her. At fourteen, she finds herself traded in marriage across the ocean in the fascinating land of Malaysia. She finds herself struggling to raise a family with a man too impractical to face reality and a world that is unyielding and amazing, brutal and beautiful. Lakshmi survives the nightmare of World War II and the Japanese occupation, but the family bears deep scars on its back and in turn inflicts those wounds on the next generation. It is not until Lakshmi's great-granddaughter, Nisha, pieces together the mosaic of her family history that the legacy of the Rice Mother bears fruit.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

A spellbinding, beautifully written novel that moves between contemporary times and one of the most fascinating and disturbing periods in American history-the Salem witch trials. Written with astonishing conviction and grace, The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane travels seamlessly between the witch trials of the 1690s and a modern woman's story of mystery, intrigue, and revelation.

message 18: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2793 comments OO Queen of Camelot. I hace that on my TBR list for sooo long.

message 19: by Silver (new)

Silver I would like to nominate In the Company of the Courtesan becasue I loved Birth of the Venus, and have been wanting read more books by her, and this one sounded quite interesting to me.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I'll throw one out there for some interesting variety:

Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker

message 21: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Hey guys, I forgot that this time I switched it up and specified only one nomination per person.

Hannah and Linda, can you let me know which of the books you mentioned you want your official nomination to be? I'll update the list afterward.

Thanks! :)

message 22: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 675 comments I will go with The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe - should be a good one for this time of year.

message 23: by Becky, Moddess (new)

OK, thanks!

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (harshmallow) | 397 comments I'll stick with Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

message 25: by Ellen (last edited Sep 28, 2010 09:02PM) (new)

Ellen | 77 comments I'm nominating Ken Follett's Fall of Giants Been waiting for this one!

message 26: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Updated list:

Shadow of the Wind
The Year of the French
Flow Down Like Silver: Hypatia of Alexandria
Godiva
Crestmont
Memoirs of a Geisha
Queen of Camelot
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
In the Company of the Courtesan
Appaloosa
Fall of Giants

message 27: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Ellen wrote: "I'm nominating Ken Follett's Fall of Giants Been waiting for this one!"

I did not realize Follett had a new book out!

message 28: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 77 comments It is the new one that is supposed to be the first of a trilogy.

message 29: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Ellen wrote: "It is the new one that is supposed to be the first of a trilogy."

I know, I saw that! How exciting :)

message 30: by Bookemdano (new)

Bookemdano | 1 comments I will throw out a suggestion.Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae.
My motives are totally selfish however,as I have it and will be reading it regardless :)

peace

keith

message 31: by Terri (new)

Terri Keith,
Whilst I have nominated Godiva for the October/November read, I would be keen for Gates of Fire to be the group read also, as I have it too and am trying to fit it into my reading schedule.

I thought about putting a thread up in the 'Read With Me' section to see if anyone wanted to do a mini read soon of Gates of Fire, but I suspect everyone is busy with Challenge books and personal reading goals so won't have the time.

message 32: by Becky, Moddess (new)

The Poll is up everyone! Go on and vote!

message 33: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Moore | 28 comments Just a question here. I think there are two "Godiva"s. Which one was nominated?

message 34: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Joyce wrote: "Just a question here. I think there are two "Godiva"s. Which one was nominated?"

Godiva by Nerys Ann Jones

message 35: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 302 comments I vote for The Shadow of the Wind. That being said, I have read Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylaeand it is probably in the top 5 of my all-time favorite HFs. After reading the book, rent "The 300" movie on the same subject. Both are wonderful, but of course, the book is better.

message 36: by Terri (last edited Oct 05, 2010 12:28AM) (new)

Terri Poll results are in......
AAARRRGH!! Not another World War story. That's three in a row.

message 37: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I don't recall very much of Memoirs of a Geisha having to do with war - only part of it towards the end, and that only references the changes to Japan, not the war itself.

message 38: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 675 comments Memoirs of a Geisha is a great book - the war is very much a side story - it is the story of one geisha from childhood throughout her life. It is fascinating especially when noted that it was written by a man. He definitely gets into the innermost feelings of this woman. It reads like a memoir of her life, but it is fiction. Amazing book. I loved it.

message 39: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2793 comments YAY! I really want to read this book.

message 40: by Liz (new)

Liz I read Memoirs a few years ago, & I really liked it! The war was such a minor part of the book that I wouldn't consider it a war story. The focus was on the girl growing up to be a geisha. I thought it was fascinating!

message 41: by Terri (new)

Terri No guys, I didn't actually mean a war story as much as I meant another story set in the eras of either WW1 or WW2.

I prefer my HF to be set in an older era. I don't read modern history stories. :-)
For me, I don't even regard anything set after 1900 to be historical fiction, although I am sure many others disagree. But that's okay to disagree, I am totally open to that. :-)

(And hey, I am just talking about my own likes and dislikes so I don't mean to offend anyone else likes and dislikes or opinions).

message 42: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2793 comments For me personally HF is anything before 1980

message 43: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Got my copy from the library today but not reading until after a few other reads.

message 44: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "For me personally HF is anything before 1980"

Good Lord. I don't consider anything I can actually remember as HF. In fact, I cringe when music from back then is labeled "classic" rock. You're making me feel old...hehe

message 45: by Becky, Moddess (new)

LOL Well, for purposes of the group, generally 20 years in the past is what I'll consider HF. *shrug* That's pretty liberal.

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Hmmm...it could be that I am HF.

message 47: by Becky, Moddess (new)

In that case, so am I... The big 2-8 now, y'know! LOL

message 48: by Terri (new)

Terri I'm HF then. And PROUD of it! :-)

I don't class books set in late modernity as Historical Fiction. I would probably stretch to 1905, but, basically, the way I think of it is this...

I class anything written of a time before our oldest living humans birth, as suitable to be historical fiction. As we have people living up to 110...well..you do the math...:-)
If people are still alive to talk about it then to me it makes it contemporary history.

I know that doesn't fit into the late modern history structure, but it is what I go on.

message 49: by Katie (new)

Katie (ygraine) Memoirs may be a relatively modern HF but, having read it recently, I have to say that it doesn't feel modern at all. Reading it is like seeing another world entirely, outside of time, and I got the feeling it wouldn't have mattered if it was set in the 20th century or the 16th, it would have been the same book. I kept being surprised whenever electric lights and heaters were mentioned as the world seemed far too old for that sort of technology.

message 50: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Chris wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "For me personally HF is anything before 1980"

Good Lord. I don't consider anything I can actually remember as HF. In fact, I cringe when music from back then is lab..."

Amen, Chris..I about L'edMAO when I read your post!

« previous 1 3