EDUC 567 Children's Lit discussion

Savvy > Savvy Reflection

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ritsa (new)

Ritsa Mallous | 35 comments Mod
:)

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lecase) | 6 comments I LOVED Savvy. I really wish this book had been around when I was in middle school because the story and the characters were both just excellent. We all agreed it lulled slightly in the middle, but honestly it was a captivating and easy read overall. I would recommend it to my students, especially to upper 5th or 6th grade girls. Mibs was so precious and I loved watching her grow and start to like Will. I also liked how the savvies the Beaumonts developed were not really typical magical gifts and they had to learn how to deal with their new powers, just as new adolescents have to deal with lots of changes in their lives.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 12 comments I also liked Savvy quite a bit. At first it was just pure enjoyment but after 'blogging' about it for EDUC 413 I started to think more about the 'teachability' of the book, especially after reading Shiloh and Bud, Not Buddy. Initially I did not give this book much merit for something that could be taught to an entire class, and kind of still do not think a whole class is the most appropriate recipient for this one, but on the other hand assigning it to certain individuals, namely girls, would be a good way to introduce some to the transitions into teenager-land and learning how to accept yourself (and your savvy).
I think one of the things that made this book enjoyable, for me, was the not so predictable twists and turns that the runaways encountered on the bus with Lester and Lil. Even though I was rooting for Mibs to make it to Salina to be with her dad, I did not tire of the adventures and mishaps that finally led them to Mr. Beaumont. And after preparing myself for the worse, I was pleasantly reassured at the end with Mr. Beaumont's partial recovery and the construction of a porch swing, while not as fair as the world's largest or anything, but a swing non the less.
The last thing that I'll mention is the great dialect that the author used for the characters. Some of the words and word combos just cracked me up, but of course I do not have the book in front of me to quote but you all remember some I'm sure.

message 4: by Beimnet (new)

Beimnet I loved this book! I wish I could have been there for the discussion, as I really enjoyed it, and I can't say that's true for every book we've read. I do think it's for higher elementary, but if I teach sixth grade, I would definitely keep it in my classroom. I think Mibs is a great character, and she's honest which female readers could really appreciate. I also like how the author mentions a couple times how everyone is special, with or without a savvy. I also really liked that Ms. Beaumont wasn't actually perfect in the end because that detail sort of bothered me. I think I would have been fine as a kid reading it though. I wouldn't do a whole class project on this book, but I would consider it for literature circles, or just to recommend to specific students. I really, really liked this book, and I'm glad it reassured me that I did enjoy middle school books.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Robbins | 9 comments I liked Savvy. It definitely was not my favorite book, but it was entertaining. The ending was good. It kept me on my toes about what was going to happen with the children and getting back to Salina. The ending was also a pleasant surprise as we touched on in class. I was afraid that it would have a stereotypical ending, which it did not! Mibs is also a great character. We discussed how many students would probably identify with her ( at that middle school age). This also bring up this issue that Savvy might be more appealing to girls, rather than boys.
I think there are many types of students who would enjoy reading this book. I would only recommend it to upper elementary and middle school students. Some subject matter might be an issue with some, but I would not be too worried.

message 6: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 11 comments I really enjoyed Savvy. It would be a great book to give an older elementary student who wants to read an impressive novel. The story is relatable and students who feel like they're alone in their weird families might feel a bit more at ease. I thought the book was a very simple read that flowed well, so I wouldn't give it to a student who is a more advanced reader. It is entertaining though, so a good beach read for a younger middle school student too!

message 7: by Jordan (new)

Jordan | 6 comments I'm going to have to be honest..as I was in class..that I didn't actually get time to read this book because of how stressful that week was. BUT I can say that when I actually get free time (Christmas break, maybe?) it is first on my to read list. I have heard only good things about it, and from our discussion in class it sounds so interesting! I only read the first chapter but was already drawn in to the characters and finding out what happens to them. From what I've heard about the rest of the book, I don't know if I would teach it as a lesson to a whole class. It doesn't seem "academic" enough, or like it has a plausible lesson. But maybe it could be an assignment for a free read in a 5th grade class? I guess I'll find out when I finish reading!