Q&A with Steve Morris discussion

What's next?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Morris | 250 comments Mod
Well, Jumble Tales will be released on 28th October, (which coincidentally is the half-term vacation week in the UK and also the week with Hallowe'en.)
Jumble Tales will be featured in some UK magazines between then and Christmas.

I am hoping that two new short stories will be included in magazines before the new year.

A novel might well be next as I've got bucketfulls of ideas ready, but we'll see how Jumble Tales goes first.

message 2: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 135 comments What is Jumble Tales similar to In all Probability with the amount and length of stories? I think you should write a novel as you have a broad range of writing (as I can tell from in all probability) and you are quite detailed in your descriptions which is needed in novels.

message 3: by Steve (new)

Hi Nicolle, and thank you for that review.
Yes, Jumble Tales is also short stories, with about half as many stories but twice as long and also a longer version of Dead-Eye.
Other reviewers have said the same as you about putting together a novel. If Jumble Tales is well received then I'll do that.
Thanks again.

message 4: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 135 comments I really liked 'Dead Eye' so I'm glad you've included it in your next book.

message 5: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 135 comments Do you just make up the stories as you go along or take an everyday thing and twist it into your theme, or something else?

message 6: by Steve (new)

Thanks Nicolle.
Yes, Dead Eye is my favourite. The name itself came from a story an elderly aunt once told me about a miner. Editor Vivian has cautioned me against writing stories with negative endings in the current climate. She's right and I've mixed up stories in Jumble Tales as best I could.
There are lots of ideas for new stories from things I hear in the press or people I meet on my travels. Everyday life is sometimes stranger than fiction!

message 7: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 135 comments True!

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc Johnson (marcjohnsonbooks) | 8 comments I find it difficult to find good short story writers these days, which is why I enjoy your work. Do you feel that the short story is a dying art, or do you think there is a possibility of a resurgence?

message 9: by Steve (new)

Well, thank you. I wonder if there will be a resurgence in short stories now. Life for all of us is being run at such a hectic pace. If we take ten minutes out to have a rest, we all start fiddling with our phones and gadgets. Children's attention spans are seemingly shorter than ever and breaking news is "yesterday's" next in an hour or so. Reading (and especially writing) a novel requires huge stamina and concentration.
However, many people are unwilling to invest emotion into the characters in a short story in the same way as they would readily into those of a novel.

message 10: by Marc (new)

Marc Johnson (marcjohnsonbooks) | 8 comments You mentioned phones and gadgets. Do you think that these gadgets, like the iphone, kindle, or ipad, might help encourage people to read more short stories or even novels?

message 11: by Steve (new)

Yes, I'm sure they will. If we look how email is replacing talking on the phone, and how the internet is taking over from reading newspapers, I think that gadgets will encourage more reading of this type for people who wouldn't normally buy physical books.
What do you think?

message 12: by Marc (new)

Marc Johnson (marcjohnsonbooks) | 8 comments There are certainly possibilities there. Although, interactivity seems to be one of the driving forces behind the popularity of these devices. It seems that it may be necessary for novels and short stories to evolve in such a was as to accommodate this interactivity. It may not be enough to simply be text on a screen. Or, maybe incorporating music or visual imagery into these novels and short stories would help encourage new audiences. Have you considered incorporating audio or visual imagery, such as audio books or youtube videos with pictures, into your work?

message 13: by Steve (new)

Definitely. We should move with the times. Ami Blackwelder, (another multi-talented American) made this great trailer video for "In All Probability" which really suited it.
I know you have done some recordings of your work and also public readings. Interestingly that was a tactic of Charles Dickens!
I'd love to get one of the stories onto radio somehow