The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Are you a night person or a morning person MORPHED into Football talk!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 484 (484 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 367 comments Does it affect your ability to read?

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments I'm a night girl all the way...I read into the wee hours of the morning. If my only time to read was in the morning, I'd be done for!! The thing that most affects my reading isn't time of day, but work (yeck!) If I could only win the lottery so I didn't have to work, I'd read all day every day:)

message 3: by Tisha (new)

Tisha both kind of! yeah...i dont sleep much. I consider myself a night person though, but i get up early for work and tend to function fine. I read at night more though, but my favorite is to read outside during the day.

message 4: by Frank (last edited Jul 10, 2008 12:47AM) (new)

Frank Night, but I wish I was day. It does sometimes affect my reading since I tend to be tired from staying up late and waking up early.

message 5: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments I'm generally a night person, although at the moment I'm so busy I'm falling asleep as soon as I start to read at night. So right now I'm doing most of my reading during the day.

message 6: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Ascroft | 16 comments I'm always up at the crack of dawn but don't usually get a chance to read - too many things to do...My ideal morning is one where I'm dropped off at work early and have half an hour to read before I start.

Dianne Ascroft, 'Hitler and Mars Bars'
www.geocities.com/dianne_ascroft

message 7: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 95 comments I am a morning person generally but I have been known to saty up all night reading - when I got the last Harry Potter book I wouldn't sleep until I had finished the entire thing.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10144 comments Mod
I hate mornings! In the summer, I tend to rise at 9am... one of the kids usually will wake me by then. But I will stay up till around midnite, or later if i can manage!

I work weekends, so fri-sun I am up at 330am, and try to get to bed by 9pm... I need all the sleep I can get for those long 12 hour days.

As far as reading, I read throughout the course of the day and evening during the week. Work keeps me from my books all weekend long, I am just too tired to even pick it up, let alone read it!

message 9: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 130 comments I read every chance I get, whether it is in the morning or late, late at night! When I was a teenager, I used to take books with me to church and open them on the inside of my hymnal and read during the sermon ;)

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine (airportsox) | 37 comments I get up early for work, to get in there, get the job done and get out as early as possible. On the weekends, I like to stay up late hanging out with friends or if I'm home... READING! I'll often stay up until 2 or 3 am reading b/c I can't put a book down. So I guess I'm a morning and a night person. I like to pull my book out and read at breakfast if I can... if I'm not trying to rush out the door...

message 11: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments I'm definitely more productive at night. I think I was meant to be nocturnal as I kind of fall into a trance state during the day where I definitely function but through about eight layers of detachment. But come nightfall all of a sudden I start on all sorts of huge projects that tend to keep me busy late into the night.

I have noticed an unfortunate tendency lately to fall asleep if I try reading in bed. I can sit anywhere else in the apartment and read all night, but the second I touch the mattress I'm out. I tend to get more reading done in the morning while I'm drinking coffee and before I plug in to my computer than at any other time of day. A book can hold my focus better than anything else in those early hours.

message 12: by Val (last edited Jul 10, 2008 07:43AM) (new)

Val (valz) | 367 comments April that's too funny!

I tend to read nonstop when I've got a book I love so I usually stay up really late finishing it. I'm not all that good in the morning as a rule as I take a looooonnnnnnnnggggggggg time to wake up.

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I need to read first thing in the morning like others need their coffee.It wakes me up and rejuvenates me.But if I sit and read too long I will get sleepy.But an hour to an hour and a half suits me fine.

message 14: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) I'm a bear in the morning...probably because I always end up staying up later than I intend. I'd love to be a morning person, but it has always been too hard to give up those few precious hours of solitude at night when everyone else is sleeping. Unfortunately, I've always been such a heavy sleeper that NO ONE has ever liked waking me up.

This will sound crazy, but I think the best sleep I've ever had was when my kids were newborns. I was actually a very light sleeper during those few months and had to sleep whenever I could. Now that they sleep for 12 hour stretches at night, my sleep doesn't seem as precious.

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Charity,you put me in mind of something that happened to my husband and I.

You reminded me of those first few years with my babes when the least little noise could wake me with a mild sense of panic that one of the kids needed me.

Now those years are well behind us and one night our alarm,through faulty wiring went off.The alarm automatically sent the signal to the alarm company,who called all our friends on our contact list as well as the police.Meanwhile all these people assemble in our livingroom,the dog is howling and I guess a police officer entered our room because while we were sleeping through all the noise obliviously they thought we were dead.

What woke me finally was my neighbour knocking on my bedroom door calling my name and telling me the police were downstairs.Guess what my first thought was!Oh I wonder if something has happened to one of the kids.

We went downstairs to a baying dog,four police officers and four of our neighbours giving us all identical looks of amazement.It was sooo embarressing!Oddly enough our son slept through it as well.

message 16: by Jen (last edited Jul 10, 2008 09:22AM) (new)

Jen | 278 comments Sherry, that is quite possibly one of the funniest sleep stories I've ever heard.

Much to my husband's dismay, I am a pretty solid morning person which can make it inconvenient to read. I tend to get my reading done during the day when the baby reads and at night when she goes to sleep. The only problem that I encounter is falling asleep while reading at night. If the book is good and has me swept into the plot, I can usually read for quite a while, but if the book is slow moving, I'm out the second I pick it up.

message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Jen,it's hard to maintain one's energy throughout the day with a baby,at least that was my experience.By the time evening came around I was bagged and incapable of thought much less reading!

My husband is an extreme morning person and I am so not a morning person.He wakes up happy(almost to the point of obnoxiousness(SP))and I need about an hour of quiet.We're like that Kibbles and Bits commercial,you know where the little dog is jumping enthusiastically back and forth over the other?Thankfully it is in temperment only that I see the resemblance,otherwise he maybe wouldn't feel quite so perky!

How do these things happen,where such opposites attract?Bewildering!But he has learned over the years to give me my "space"in the mornings.He really is a sweetheart perkiness and all! :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm more of a night person and do a lot of reading before bed. After getting to bed it is hit or miss on how long I can stay awake. It has to be an amazing plot or a writing style that strikes me. Sometimes I even start to fall asleep while reading to my daughter. I hate to drag myself out of bed in the morning, but once I am up I love to sit in one of the reading chairs...depending on where the sunlight is and read with a hot cup of coffee.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Night, I read before bed a lot. I stay up till 12 a lot on GR!

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 103 comments im a 3rd shifter so id say night person but i can read anywhere anytime!i like to read before bed only problem i dont sleep much whenn i get started!!lol

message 21: by Santina (new)

Santina (littlesaintina) | 76 comments I'm a night person 100%...even after a good nights sleep I have a hard time rising; even exhausted I will get a burst of energy in the evening. It does give me lots of time to read, I'm generally reading when everyone else has gone to sleep.

message 22: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 367 comments Charity, how funny--I just looked at your picture. There you are asleep on the couch. I'll be quiet SO I DON'T WAKE YOU--ooops!

Sherry, amazing that you can sleep that deeply but what a funny story-- I used to be such a good sleeper. It was one of my best skills. But now I tend to stay up late and wake up early--I'm not sure this is healthy but I've a lot on my mind. Our daughter is getting married in August and I have people coming from all over North America. I just can't concentrate.

Jeremy, I love your picture and your description of sitting in a reading chair wherever the sunlight is with coffee. Even though I am a night person by nature, that sounds like a lot of fun.

It's interesting how our sleep patterns change as we age. I can't believe that I might be becoming a morning person. At least I can greet my husband --- a die hard morning person--without wanting to slug him for being so cheerful.

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 11, 2008 06:16AM) (new)

Val, you are so right about sleep patterns changing. I am going to bed earlier and earlier on average. I don't necessarily want to get up earlier but the young ones and job force that upon me.

My picture is actually a print that is up in my living room. A funny story of how we obtained it. We were at a TJ Maxx and saw two similar prints and had them side by side to decide if we wanted one or both. A man walked right in front of us, grabbed one and took off! He knew what he was doing, too! Anyway, we did get this one and I love it. I so want to go to Europe right now to enjoy that scene. I like it so much that I found a website for the artist, Betsy Brown to entertain buying an original. Upon inquiry I received an email that they run for about $10,000 each!!!!!!! Needless to say, I will be sticking to the prints. Sorry for the monologue everyone.

message 24: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) I am a night person always have been.I love being up late when everyone else is asleep.It's my quite me time.I am either reading or on the computer till the wee morning hours.

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen | 278 comments Jeremy - Definitely stick to prints. Think of how many books you can buy with $10,000.

Val - Congratulations on your daughter getting married! At the same time, I pity anyone going through it. My husband and I had a relatively small wedding and it was still ridiculously consuming.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Think of how many books I have bought with $10,000...okay so maybe not that much!

I second the congratulations. I missed that on the first time around. I agree that the wedding was consuming, but we did get to do a lot of reading on the honeymoon!!

message 27: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (shashee71) | 657 comments I guess I'd have to say I'm a morning person.

Shhhh... I usally read for the first hour or two when I get to work. I get to work at 7am and by myself for 2 hours!! I know.. naughty girl! That's really my best reading time.

Then my husband and I read in bed for about a half hour before we go to sleep...

Of course, I'll pick up my book here and there throughout the day and definitely get more reading in on the weekends.

message 28: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 367 comments Jeremy, I love your TJ Maxx story. So funny!! Some people have so much nerve it is unbelievable.

message 29: by Stacie (new)

Stacie I am a little of both. I get up early so I can run before my husband leaves for work. However, I usually get up about an hour before I have to be out the door so I can sit and read quietly (well, now I check Goodreads). I have a big overstuffed chair that my WONDERFUL friend (OK, she is on here and might read this) gave me. Really, I thought I was going to cry when she gave it to me. I have had it for over 2 years and I still get a little giddy when I can sit in it, by myself with a cup of coffee and a book. Pure bliss. Especially with silence in the house.

However, I also like to read at night. When my husband is gone and my daughter is in bed, there I am in my big chair reading. I also cannot; I mean, cannot fall asleep without reading. Even if I only read a paragraph because I am exhausted, I have to read before falling asleep.

Is it possible to be both?

message 30: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 95 comments Sracie, I think you can be both, during the week I'm a morning person but at the weekends I become a night person - this might have more to do with nights out than actually reading time hehe. If i'm not out on a saturday night I can spend hours reading and I once started reading a book at about 7ish in the evening, reading it in bed, the next time I looked at the clock it was nearly 1am - I was completely shattered and I hadn't finished the book.

TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey (thereadingknitter) I'm a night owl. But I read whenever I get the chance...I work at a daycare and while the children are sleeping I read for about an hour or two. Then when I'm in the car I'm usualy listening to a book.

message 32: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I love that TJ MAXX story!
The last time I was in there, something CREEPY happened. I was "in the zone" and this woman comes up to me and says, "Is your husband with you?" I said, "No...I'm not married. It's just me!" She said, "Oh, that's what I thought. A man was just sticking his hand in your purse and you didn't even notice."
I was SO FREAKED OUT! I didn't even notice or feel a thing! (Y'all keep your purses zipped!!)

Turns out he didn't get anything except some pills which were just for a cough :)

message 33: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Oh, I forgot to say that I am an AFTERNOON/EVENING person.. :)
I read the best from 6-10 p.m. :)

message 34: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments I like to read all of the time!!! Lately I have been staying up way too late reading. 2:00am!!! Right now, it's 12:30am and I am GoodReads!!

message 35: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I need to go to bed, too!!! dang...

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments I know I've got you all beat on time. It's 2:45 am & I'm still here on GR!! *L* It's just so addicting...plus I've been without computer access for two days due to a trip & a power outage, so I have a TON to catch up on!

message 37: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelamarie76) | 18 comments I'm definitely a night person. I work nights for the most part. This week I had to flip shifts and work some days. I worked days today and was crabby until after noon. Now I have to stay up as late as possible to get myself back on schedule. What a shame, stay up to read! I notice my kids are both up late a lot as well. I catch my daughter up late a lot reading, even on week nights. I've decided this is genetic.

message 38: by Stacie (new)

Stacie That is funny Angela because my 5-year-old "reads" at night too. There are nights that she actually lasts longer than I do. As I am turning out the light I can still hear her flipping the pages! She refuses to have less that 10 books on her bed. I think she is repeating what she has heard me say, but she always says "I can't fall asleep without reading mommy" when I try to take them off her bed.

message 39: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Your comment, Logan, hit home! Since I work during the day, I tend to do things by rote until afternoon. On weekends, I flit from this to that until I hit 3 pm - then the projects begin with relish!

Unfortunately, working full time 5 days a week, plus a 40 minute commute one way, makes me tired once I hit the pillow too, eliminating any thought of reading in bed (well, I try, but after a few minutes it's lights out!). Like you, I too, can read sitting up anywhere else but in bed.

Thanks goodness for books on CD - most of my "reading" gets done on my commute to and from work.

message 40: by Angela (new)

Angela (angelamarie76) | 18 comments That's cute Stacie, I catch both of my kids doing that. Last night we had the loudest thunderstorm I've ever heard here in the desert since I've lived here. We were all up until well past 5 so it was a good thing we had books! I think my son was born to be a night owl. It's cute how our children pick those things up from us. I remember sneaking as a child to stay up late to read. Once I hit around 12 or so I think my parents just accepted I'd stay up as late as I felt like staying up.

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth (goofyteacher) | 63 comments Talking about kids I just had the most adorable mommy moment. Reading is part of our bedtime routine and recently both my boys have been asking for books to read in bed. Being 3 and 2 I give them picture books and let them read to their stuffed animals. I just went to check on them before getting on the computer and had to take the book out of my sleeping two year old's had and he work up and said "my book." Makes your heart melt! Happy Reading

message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Awwww, that is too cute!

message 43: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Liz -- Like you, I work 40+ hours a week (but not a regular work-week...I almost always work both weekend days) and commute an hour each way every day. I've tried audiobooks several times and I've only just finished my first one tonight on my way home! I don't know about you, but I have a hard time focusing on them in the car (hmmm, maybe it's because I am busy swearing at the idiot drivers around me!) And rewinding to find the spot you didn't quite get is not even close to being able to flip back a page & re-read!

TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey (thereadingknitter) I work 40 hours a week 5 days a week and I can't read in bed for long. I usually last like 10 minutes and then I'm out. Today I went and laid in bed to read and my husband says why are you taking a nap. I said I'm not I'm gonna read. He came in there about 30 minutes later and I was fast asleep. haha.

I also listen to audio books on my way to work and it's a 15 minute commute...hehe

message 45: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Haha, Kasi!
That's funny. Reading does not make me sleepy unless I was exhausted in the first place..

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

So moral of the story is, keep your guard up at TJ Maxx!

I also have trouble falling asleep while reading. I found this weekend that I don't have that problem out on the deck. I took the son out there to play in the sandbox and just sat in a comfy chair and was able to read 20 pages or so without interruption or getting drowsy. I don't know why I hadn't caught onto that before.

message 47: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 157 comments I love to read at night. Many a night, hubby asks me how much longer you going to read? I'm spoiled now--it's summer & I don't have to wake the kids for school & I don't work that much. So, I read all I want to. Once school starts though, I'll be a morning person.

message 48: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Beth, that is so sweet!

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) I think I'm more of a night owl, just because I don't get chance during the day and only crawl out of my bed at the very last second so no time for anything else (although, Jeremy, your reading chair in the sun with a hot cup of coffee sounds like heaven to me).

On weekends, though, unless we have anything planned I love nothing better than waking up in my own sweet time, switching the bedside lamp on, snuggling back under my warm, comfy duvet and reading a book for a few hours before I even get up. Sometimes I can even get my husband to bring me a coffee in bed. Lovely.

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 21, 2008 09:06AM) (new)

When I was single I could read most of the night and still be okay for work the next morning. Now, 11 years later with a wife and 2 daughters, well..um not so much. I can still stay up very late if the book is engrossing, but I'll feel it in the morning...haha. And unfortunately, I don't think it's possible for me to sleep past 8 am. Generally I'm out by midnight and up by 5:30, so I guess I'm kind of a night owl and a morning person..haha. I've never been a good night's 8 hours a night sleep kind of person.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10