Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Recommended audiobooks?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hello all, I'm seeking your help. I'm having some medical problems that cause double vision. It's been 2 weeks now and doesn't seem to be clearing up anytime soon. So, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend for me a few good audiobooks.

So far I've downloaded and am enjoying The Alchemist and the Executioness. Any other favorites out there?

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I hope you recover quickly.

Some of my favorites have been:

The Bone Doll's Twin and the rest of the Tamir Triad by Lynn Flewelling.

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Faithful Place by Tana French (The narration on this one was absolutely amazing--this is a must listen.)

Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin (This one probably would not have been good in print, but the narrator made me cry at the end.)

I loved the audio of the Flavia de Luce mysteries, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley.

I'm currently listening to The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson and I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Definitely hope you're doing better soon, Laurel...

But in the meantime, George Guidall has always been one of my favorite narrators on audiobooks.

He's done a wide range of different works:

American Gods
The Gunslinger
Dune
The Inferno
The Family: A Novel

Lots of classics and modern works. The man's been busy.

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Watson | 55 comments Just released by Audible Books Stormwarden (The Cycle of Fire, #1) by Janny Wurts , Stormwarden by Janny Wurts

message 5: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi Laurel,

The website I review for has a section dedicated to audio-books:

http://www.fantasyliterature.com/seri...

(It's arranged by rating, with the top rated audio-books first - and then you can click on the individual reviewer's name to see how their taste matches up with yours.)

message 6: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Laurel - GET WELL!!!

message 7: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2362 comments Mod
I haven't listened to many audiobooks, and generally when I do they're nonfiction since I tend to zone out occasionally - better not to miss any important plot points. Anyway, if you are interested in his books, Malcolm Gladwell does the narration for all of his audiobooks and they're excellent. I've listened to Outliers and What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures, and I own the paper versions of Blink and The Tipping Point. I found all of them fascinating.

Hope you figure out what's going on soon - I have a colleague who has permanent double vision (after a brain injury in a major car accident) and she has learned to deal with it, but it must be a huge pain to adjust to...here's hoping yours is just temporary :(

message 8: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Thanks for the recommendations and the well wishes. They're running a bunch of tests, so hopefully we'll have an answer soon. Plus, I'm able to read for short periods of time, so it could be much worse. I have too many unread books!

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Oh Lordy, I listen to audiobooks all the time! Am currently listening to Janny Wurts Stormwarden and it's smashing. The narrator, Dick Thorpe is very good at dialogue and making voices different, and especially women's voices, which so many male narrators really mangle.

Some of the favorites that pop to mind immediately are not fantasies, but very good. The Helpwas just wonderful in audio, with different narrators for the different characters who told their stories. Also, the recent award winning Let the Great World Spin, also done with different narrators for different points of view was absolutely wonderful. George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series has a wonderful British male narrator. And for lighter fare, I loved the Sookie Stackhouse books in audio. I listened to all of them except the last one, which I both read and listened to. The narrator, Johanna Parker, does a fabulous job of being Sookie, since the books are written in first person. Hope you get better soon.

message 10: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments Yay, I've just found that the audiobook of Stormwarden is on the New Zealand iTunes store. So often stuff isn't released here, but this one is and it's actually a few dollars cheaper than if I bought it from the US. Hooray!

Okay, I think I'd better wait until after the next payday to go shopping, but it's waiting for me on my wishlist.

message 11: by Ric (new)

Ric (ricaustria) | 28 comments Recent eye surgery limits my reading time so, like you, am trying out audio books. Some books I could not bear to read turn out to be quite entertaining in audio. The narrator's style adds another dimension to the experience, certainly, but the slower pace, I find, provides more time for appreciating ideas and story. Explore and enjoy, it's a different medium.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Kerry wrote: "Yay, I've just found that the audiobook of Stormwarden is on the New Zealand iTunes store. So often stuff isn't released here, but this one is and it's actually a few dollars cheaper..."

I'm enjoying it! It was put out by Audible UK, so I would think it's available in NZ!

message 13: by jana (new)

jana | 1 comments A few audiobooks I have really enjoyed are,
Little Bee read by Anne Flosnik
The Year of the Flood read by Bernadette Dunn
City of Thieves read by Ron Pearlman

message 14: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Sep 26, 2010 12:57PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) Any of the Dresden books are good. Not only are they just plain good books but James Marsters does an outstanding job of reading.

Hope you recover soon...but continue to enjoy the audio books.

message 15: by Laurel (new)

Laurel James Marsters does audiobooks?!

So many recs I would have not thought of - but they look great. I'm signing up at audible and will get back once I've tried a few.

Thanks so much, everyone :)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I signed up at Audible for a specific book...addictions are awful.

I don't know of any other books Marsters has done other than the Harry Dresden books. He may have, I'm just not aware of any.

message 17: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Do you like audible?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) So far. I'm still in my "intro" period ($7 or $7.50 a month, I forget at the moment which) it will jump to double that after next month I believe. I bought the 2nd and 3rd in the Imager's Portfolio series by Modesitt. They downloaded with no problem and sounded good. If it's a good narrator etc. I like audio for when I'm doing something that prohibits reading text. I play audio as I wash dishes or whatever around the house (I'm disabled somewhat and have to recline quite a bit). So, library discs, library downloads or playaways and audible.

message 19: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2362 comments Mod
Laurel wrote: "James Marsters does audiobooks?!"

Does he read them in his Spike accent? ;)

Spike is my FAVORITE!

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I love Audible. I've been a member since 2008 and have no complaints. And they're always having sales.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) Shel...I know your just "joshing" (it's hard to find a reason to use the word "joshing") but...not per se. He does an excellent job of reading and voicing the characters.

message 22: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 877 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Any of the Dresden books are good. Not only are they just plain good books but James Marsters does an outstanding job of reading."

I've listened to the first four so far, and he does an excellent job at the reading.

I'd also recommend Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Stephen Briggs is the voice of Discworld in my mind. He's just that good at it.

Another excellent selection is Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series read by Grover Gardener.

I loved Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman read by Lenny Henry. Another excellent reader. He adds a lot of life and personality to the reading.

I also recommend any of Neil's books read by himself (Coraline, M is for Magic, Fragile Things, etc). Neil is a great reader and the combination works really well.

Diane Duane's Young Wizard series read by Christina Moore.

David Eddings Belgariad and Malloreon series read by Cameron Beierle.

While I gave up on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series around book 10, I really liked the readers (Kate Reading and Michael Kramer). They're the same readers for Sanderson's Way of Kings which I am looking forward to.

Sanderson's Mistborn series was done by Michael Kramer who I adore with a passion. :D

Something you might also consider is Graphic Audio (http://www.graphicaudio.net/). They are performed rather than read and they stay authentic to the text of the books. The production values are quite impressive and they have some excellent voice actors.

I've been a gold subscriber with Audible since 2005 and it has been well worth the cost. I'm quite addicted to audio books. :D

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) I listened to Lois McMaster Bujold's first Chalion book and am waiting for the second (from the library) and the one I heard was good also. Did I recommend the Imager books by Modesitt? They're the reason I joined Audible, I couldn't wait for them, the audios are good.

Is the gold membership the one that starts with a $7 a month due and you get one credit?

message 24: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 877 comments I'm not sure how it starts (its been a number of years for me now) but it is 1 credit per month.
The Platinum is 2 credits a month but I don't buy quite enough to make the upgrade worthwhile.

message 25: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I listened to Lois McMaster Bujold's first Chalion book and am waiting for the second (from the library) and the one I heard was good also. Did I recommend the Imager books by Modesitt? They're the..."

Yes, Mike. That's the one. After while it goes up to 14.95/month. Two books per month is 22.95 and it seemed like a good deal, so I do that.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) That's the one I signed up for also... I'm tempted by the 2 credit a month membership, but can't really see affording it now either. If I was being to pay full price for another book regularly then I'd consider it. I tend to get a lot of audios from the library here also. I got hooked on audio books when I was still working. I tended to work 12+ hours a day for a long time but a significant part of that was in a vehicle. Back then it was books on tape.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) Sorry "Sandra aka Sleo"... we were apparently typing at the same time :). Like I said...I'm tempted, but until it would save me money I can't go there...

message 28: by Felina (new)

Felina I do the $22.95 2 credit memberhsip with audible and I love it. I go through a lot of audiobooks because I really enjoy needlework and knitting (I'm only 26):).
Anyways I highly recommend Duma Key read by John Slattery. Very well done.

I would stay away from The Lightning Thief audiobook. It was terrible. Ruined the book for me.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) Our local library has a fairly good selection of audio books they have a CD collection (still some older on cassette but I try to avoid them now as their older and tend to be damaged), plus they have 2 separate down-loadable services where you can temporarily download audios for 1,2,or3 weeks to your MP3, computer or other device. I generally don't buy if I can get them from the library, and then some I like to get the physical disc (like the Dresden books)...so, I (so far) haven't bought more than 1 a month from audible. Of course that could change :).