Speak Speak discussion

great insight for teens

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Laurie Halse Anderson uses great voice in her writing. This book gives great insight into teen depression and what it feels like to be an outcast...explores searching feelings through the use of art as well...great read..

message 2: by Jonelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonelle Do you think it is a book that only firls will be able to appreciate?

message 3: by Mymuseisme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mymuseisme I think any boy who has a sister, female cousin, or girlfriend would be able to appreciate the messages found in the book. It should get many to rethink assumptions about causes of behavior in some circumstances.

message 4: by Melissa (last edited Jan 03, 2008 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa Two of my male students are reading this in my Read 180 class (class for struggling readers) I think girls can relate more to the narrator but I think boys can relate to the topic, concepts and ideas presented in the text. They enjoy the fact that the book is written about someone there age (9th grade).

Kimberly I think that boys and girls can appreciate. The things you learn about teen depression and so on are the things guys can relate to and sometimes try to help with.

Proud Gaian when i read this i was amazed by how well written it was. I could picture what was happening in this book, and parts made me relly emotional. I recommended this book to everyone i know. It was an extremely good book, especially for a first timer. This book has given me the inspiration i needed to start writing a book. my book is now 44 pages long, and i started a week ago. if you'd like to hear about and read thefirst couple pages, just add meas a friend and send me a message!

Alana This book was a very solemn read for me, and it really sends a message to everyone in the book's age group, both male and female.

Scott I don't understand why some people have such a rigid idea of gender appreciation. There's no reason boys can't enjoy a book about a girl or vice versa.

Mrs. Adrian Ivashkov Forever This is a very sad book, and yet I can relate the most to this book then any other book I have ever read. I'm going into high school and I know that my last year of junior high was really simular to this so I'm hoping for good luck in high school, I know I'm going to need it but getting it won't(!!!)help..

delaney Jazz wrote: "This is a very sad book, and yet I can relate the most to this book then any other book I have ever read. I'm going into high school and I know that my last year of junior high was really simular t..."

imma be going to high school into two years. and 7th isn't really such a bright side right now.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it does have a good message and great insight. I'm not sure that guys would really enjoy it, though.

message 12: by Leigh (new) - rated it 1 star

Leigh I think the author is a terrible writer

Nagina  Hamkar OMG I was almost going to die ! when she was in the room alone with andy! I loved how she developed as a character to kik andys ass and how everyone knew why she was always depressed and didnt speak I LOVE IT SOO MUCH!!