Books for Boys discussion

Books that keep you reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 3 comments List books you think keep boys reading.

message 2: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 3 comments Recent reads I'll add are:

1. The Fungus that Ate My School by Arthur Dorros
2. Stuart's Cape by Sara Pennypacker
3. Froggy Series by Johnathan London
4. Dragon Series by Dav Pilkey
5. Robert Munsch books (especially if you introduce them to his books by having students hear the author read them. This is available online on his website)

message 3: by S.A. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

S.A. Parham | 1 comments Mod
1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
2. Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo
3. Taran series by Lloyd Alexander
4. Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz
5. Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale
6. Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey
7. A Series of Unfortunate Events books by Lemony Snicket
8. Anything by Roald Dahl or Jerry Spinneli

Just for starters (mostly for 4th-6th grade boys)

message 4: by Janine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Janine Parsons | 3 comments Thought of a few more just now:
1. Geronimo Stilton series by Geronimo Stilton
2. A-Z Mysteries by Ron Roy
3. Gary Paulsen books
4. Secrets of Droon by Tony Abbott
5. Magic Tree House by Mary Pope Osborne
6. Roald Dahl books

message 5: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Alexandra I just finished Airborn by Kenneth Oppel and loved it. A good book for boys - older children, preteen, teen. It's got a likeable 15 year old male protagonist, and is an adventure story including pirates. There is also a plucky heroine, so there's plenty for girls to enjoy too. Pleasantly free of bad language or graphic violence (although there are a few deaths in the battles with the pirates).

message 6: by Kaza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Kaza | 5 comments Great choices above! It seems a lot of boys love dragon series. (Of course I do, too, as an adult woman!) The Cornelia Funke books do well, too.

I have to mention my books (I normally wouldn't - but it's just a perfect fit!) Boys love my Erec Rex series. It has a strong male lead character who has to figure his own way out of harrowing situations.

Kaza Kingsley
Author of the Erec Rex series
http://www.erecrex.com

message 7: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Alexandra Just put "Erec Rex" on my "to-read" list. Thanks :)

message 8: by Kaza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Kaza | 5 comments Let me know what you think when you read it, Janis!
Kaza ;D

message 9: by Kaza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Kaza | 5 comments It looks like my last post didn't go through so I'l ltry again! A great artist (Jon Fesmire) made an amination clip with a great message for Erec Rex that I think boys will love..
it's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ph8s...
Such great art, too!
Kaza

message 10: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Alexandra I sure will :)

message 11: by ABC (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 1 comments Is this a new group? Cool! I have a four year old son. What he really likes best are books with superheroes in them. I wish they made higher quality books like that. He also likes scary books, like ones with a haunted house.

My list includes:
Froggy Series by Johnathon London (I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves these! I think this series gets looked down on.)
Dav Pilky books
Choo Choo (He really liked this when he was younger!)
We're going on a Bear Hunt
The Magic Schoolbus
I Spy books

message 12: by Jason (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:40PM) (new)

Jason (jasonfmcdaniel) I have some book suggestions, but first let me introduce myself:

A couple of years ago I was an after-school teacher and began mentoring a boy in my class. When I moved away to go to graduate school he asked me to write him letters.

When I was his teacher I could take him to museums or game arcades. But I didn't think I could make a letter all that interesting to an 11 year old. So I decided to also send him comic books. It was a hit.

So for the past two years I've been sending comic books and chapter books to him and his brother (who was also my student). It was so much fun for them and for me that I also send books to my nephews (3 of them) and my niece.

The age range of all the boys is around 9 - 13.

The best comic book collections I've come across are:

Firestorm: Reborn
Superman: Back in Action
Blue Beetle
Blue Beetle: Volume 2.

For the oldest (who is a great reader), I sent the novel Green Lantern: Hero's Quest. I thought it would be a stretch for him, and it was. But he told me it was also one of his favorites. There are several novels based on superheroes that I'll be sending him.

I've also sent several Walter Dean Myers books: The Greatest: Muhammad Ali, Scorpions, and Handbook for Boys: A Novel for the two in middle school. I really appreciate the themes in these books. Very important lessons for boys today.

When my nephew told me his favorite subject in school this year was world history, I sent him Pyramid. All of David Macaulay's history books are fantastic.

I'm glad this group is here. I'm always on the lookout for books to send. And if I come across more good ones I'll share them.

Jason

message 13: by Kaza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Kaza | 5 comments A fantastic picture book for your 4-year-old is "I Stink" about a garbage truck - a lot of gross-out fun!

message 14: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Alexandra Jason, I tutor a 3rd grade boy, so your suggestions are welcome!

Another good one I read recently is The Qwikpick Adventure Society by Sam Riddleburger.

message 15: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Alexandra Kaza, I just finished Erec Rex: The Dragon's Eye. I really liked it. Some interesting and unique ideas, which isn't easy in fantasy. I'll definately read the next one.

message 16: by Kaza (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Kaza | 5 comments Oh, I'm so glad!
Thanks for letting me know - and please give me your feedback when you read The Monsters of Otherness!!
Luv, Kaza
;-D

message 17: by Nicola (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Nicola Turner (MadameT) | 3 comments Graham Salisbury - I just read Night of the Howling Dogs, a fictionalised version of a true story about a scout troop caught in a Tsunami (4th grade up)
Michelle Paver - This is a series set in the pre-agricultural Stone Age about a boy and his wolf companion. It's mysticism meets adventure meets the history channel.(4th - 6th grade)
Charlie Higgins - The Young Bond Series (haven't read it myself but my sixth graders love it-girls, too)

I have lots more but I have to go walk my dog.

message 18: by Nicola (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Nicola Turner (MadameT) | 3 comments For Jason and his nephew
Send him Houdini: The Handcuff King by Jason Lutes

message 19: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Alexandra How about The White Mountains by John Christopher, first in the Tripods trilogy. It's been awhile since I've read those, so I'm not sure how well they've aged, but they were very popular with 5th and 6th graders when I was a kid.

message 20: by Nicola (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Nicola Turner (MadameT) | 3 comments For 3rd grade boy:
Moongobble and Me series by Bruce Colville
Dragon Slayer's Academy series by Kate McCullen
Warriors series by Erin Hunter (for above grade-level readers)

5th grade up
Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan (My 6th grade girls and boys love this-strong protagonists of both genders and you learn a lot about Greek mythology! What's not to like?)

I'll check out the Tripods series.

How do you do that link thing so people can click and see the book?

message 21: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Alexandra Nicola, I'll check out your third grader suggestions. As far as the book link type [ then the word "book" followed by a colon, the title of the book then end it with ] If you add a review of a book you'll see examples on the right hand side of the screen.