Chuck Palahniuk Rocks My Socks discussion

Am I the only 40-something that reads Palahniuk?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1 comments how forty something are you? i just turned 40 (in august) and i still will and always read palahniuk.

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard | 6 comments I am 47 and I have been reading his books for about 10 years. My wife, also over 40, reads them too. We are of the opinion of that while teenagers may enjoy the salaciousness of the books, they do not have enough life experiences to truly appreciate his works.

message 3: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 5 comments Well, I just turned 40 myself and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CHUCK... and I'm also loving Bret Easton Ellis. But I'm a recovered addict/alcoholic so I maybe brain damaged ; )

message 4: by Destructo (new)

Destructo The Mad | 4 comments No. But the hipsters who read him do it because they think reading him is cool. Older (wiser, smarter) readers read Chuck because he is brilliant.

message 5: by STEPHANIE (new)

STEPHANIE STANTON (itchickie) I started reading his stuff at the beginning of 2000 and I am late forties so these youngin's were reading him at age 5?

message 6: by STEPHANIE (new)

STEPHANIE STANTON (itchickie) I am late thirties whoops :)

message 7: by Meek (new)

Meek | 2 comments I'm 43 and I started reading him when I was 34...and all I can say is that I absolutely love him!

message 8: by Dean (new)

Dean | 5 comments 45

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 1 comments I'm 40

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason | 2 comments I'm 44 and have been reading him for 10+ years. If a book is good, read it. Also,Chuck readers usually do not care what others think. IMO

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert | 1 comments 47 years young here. Don't think I even picked up Chuck until I was near 40. Have read all he has to offer between then and now and look forward to the next release.

message 12: by Toni (new)

Toni Kenyon (toni_kenyon) | 1 comments I didn't even discover Chuck until I was in my late 30's. I'm over 40 and I agree with Richard, I think the older you are the more you appreciate the subtlety of the work.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 2 comments Um I disagree completely I'm not a hipster but I am a book worm and discovered chuck when I was 18 I am now 26 and find him absolutely brilliant always have my mother is 61 and is not into his work at all so I feel age does not matter but the soul and what it enjoys does!

message 14: by Gerard (new)

Gerard Fleck (gerardfleck) | 2 comments Thanks for starting this kooky thread! Of course people over 40 and even over 50 read Chuck. I think some of his stuff relates to teen angst, so it's logical that teens would like him, but his themes and social commentary are engaging even for an old guy (40+) like me.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 21 comments I'm such a slow reader I'll still be reading (and hopefully enjoying) his books in my 40's.

message 16: by Amcii (new)

Amcii Cullum (leftybookworm) | 2 comments I thought I was his number one fan! ;)

message 17: by Amcii (new)

Amcii Cullum (leftybookworm) | 2 comments Oh yeah, age 39...isn't that about the right age, you think?