Historical Fiction in the Clavell, Uris, Michener, Follett Tradition discussion

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris | 1 comments Mod
If anyone joins I would love some good suggestions for a new read.

message 2: by Blayne (new)

Blayne | 1 comments Hey! My favorite author is Clavell. I've read all of his Asian Saga, and I'm currently re-reading "Shogun." I also just read "Pillars" a few months ago, and watched the DVD mini-series. I'm going to read "World Without End" soon.

As for suggestions, definitely read more of Clavell's stuff if you haven't already. As to different authors, I have a couple on my to-read list, but I haven't read them yet. They are Edward Rutherfurd, who writes epic novels such as "Sarum: The Novel of England," and Conn Iggulden, who has a 4-part series about Genghis Khan, and one about Rome.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 2 comments Hi, all. I've got to agree as a fan of Michener and a little later, Clavell, that it is hard to beat their work, but I finally read Uris' Trinity, and I think it may be the most influential historic novel I've ever read.

As far as recommendations, I can very highly recommend two by Erik Larson: The Devil in the White City, dealing with the 1890 World's Fair in Chicago and some macabre intersecting story lines and Thunderstruck, the story of Marconi's fight to be taken seriously and the advent of radio. Both are very absorbing, complete reading experiences.

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard Sutton (richardsutton) | 2 comments Oh, and I forgot to mention Payul Clayton's great book, White Seed, the untold story of the Roanoke Colony. It's another one I've enjoyed recently.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Chris wrote: "If anyone joins I would love some good suggestions for a new read."

Two extremely exciting Follett books are Jackdaws (the BEST) and Hornet Flight. Both are time framed in WWII and you won't be able to put them down! I've read every book by Follett except his last and he's my FAV.

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Richard wrote: "Hi, all. I've got to agree as a fan of Michener and a little later, Clavell, that it is hard to beat their work, but I finally read Uris' Trinity, and I think it may be the most influential histori..."
If you like that Uris book, you must read some of his others. My VERY favorite one is Mila 18...about the Jewish ghetto in Warsaw during WWII. I find Uris historically accurate and he uses some great characters. I actually went to Poland 2 years ago as a result of reading several books and, most moving, was Mila 18. The book Exodus is also VERY good (a time-sequal to Mila 18). It's much better than the OLD movie with Paul Newman and Eva Marie Saint. All-in-all, after reading EVERY one of Uris' books, I'd say you're in for a literary treat!