Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Katy Perry's Cleavage on Sesame Street-Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments As some of you may have heard, a Katy Perry clip was pulled from Sesame Street because apparently she showed a little too much cleavage:

http://www.billboard.com/news/sesame-...

Here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHROHJ...

What do you think?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) About what?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I like that they thought it was too much for Sesame Street, but released it on youtube for the big kids anyway. Haven't watched it yet myself.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think it's lovely. Prolly not for kiddos, though.

message 5: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) It was fine. Kids don't care or notice until they're too old to watch Sesame Street anyway. Come on, half of them are still breast feeding!

I think it's classic over reacting Americans with body issues.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I don't think the kids would even notice, except to think that Katy is pretty. It's the adults who have the issue. :)

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Yes, Amelia got it right. It was absolutely fine.

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) They should have left the clip in as a way to get dads to watch Sesame Street with their kids.

message 9: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Dan, *snort*.

Hey, I watched the whole clip...not normal for me, and I'm straight. I thought it was really cute and I wouldn't have a problem with my kid (of any age) watching it. It's cleavage people, no nipple, 50% of the population has cleavage, it's not a big deal!

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Yup, we aren't anything if not over reactors :-)

message 11: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I'm wondering exactly who was complaining, every comment I bothered to scan on youtube was praising it, everyone on here seems to think it's fine. Lots of moms in there. So?

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments They said they got hundreds of calls. I'd say it was a religious group with a phone-in campaign.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Probably all Mormons.

message 14: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 24, 2010 03:53PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Was the outfit overtly offensive? Nah. Was it appropriate? Not really. Something doesn't have to be "wrong" to be a poor choice. Did the clip deserve to be pulled? Probably not, but Sesame Street does reach a wide audience, full of people from all walks of life. When in doubt, it's better to err on the side of caution. Not everyone has the same values.

It doesn't bother me and I wouldn't change the channel if my toddler was watching it, but the outfit was a stupid choice for a kids show.

I did chuckle when she was running and her boobs were bouncing a bit.

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, I didn't see the big deal about the clip, either. The dress is actually kind of cute.

message 16: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 24, 2010 02:44PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) On another note, check out the name of this news article and tell me this isn't funny :

http://clutch.mtv.com/2010/09/23/sesa...

'Sesame Street' Jerks Katy Perry Off The Air Because Of Her Boobs,

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments katy perry makes me talk like elmo

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) And there really isn't any cleavage showing. The top of the dress is like a skating outfit that's sort of transparent, giving the illusion of bare skin.

Talk like Elmo. Ha!

message 19: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24362 comments Mod
I need to add Katy Perry, cleavage, and Sesame Street to Things I don't Care About.

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That list is getting quite long, there LG. Are you depressed?

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Larry wrote: "That list is getting quite long, there LG. Are you depressed?"

Well, the list would be long anyway...I feel apathy about many things, unrelated to my personal current mood.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You know I'm just pulling your leg, right?

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I know, but I don't care....

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Badumpah!

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Someone shared the video with me last week along with mention of the controversy. Honestly, I kept thinking she must pop out of her top at some point or else why are they pitching a fit over this?! She doesn't ever pop out of her top. I'm not sure what their beef is with her dress. Is this maybe some sort of public backlash because she sang a song about kissing a girl?!! I thought it was a fun song. People are weird sometimes.

message 26: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments BunWat wrote: "This seems like body hatred more than a concern about appropriate amounts of sexuality for a kids show."

Well said!

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm also really digging that I get to check out Katy Perry over and over again in the name of analyzing the political implications of the clip.

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Hyatt-James (sandyhyatt-james) I don't know where I've been burying my head, but I saw Katie Perry for the first time last week. I then looked her up on Wiki and Youtube.
I think she's a beautiful, talented woman, who'd look good in a sack. Thus, she doesn't have any need to show her boobs to get attention; least of all on a children's programme.
But it seems to me that all female singers these days feel that if they aren't dressed like a hooker, they're not cool.

message 29: by smetchie (last edited Sep 26, 2010 06:48AM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments YAY! She looks cute and, like lots of others have said, kids wouldn't even notice. It was definitely a call-in campaign. I'd bet hard cash that 80% of the callers didn't even see the clip but were just told to call by their church or something. This kind of shit really pisses me off. They're breasts people. Get over it. That clip isn't erotic in any way.

message 30: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Sandy wrote: "Thus, she doesn't have any need to show her boobs to get attention; least of all on a children's programme."

She didn't show her boobs. There was nothing salacious in the clip, especially relative to the intended audience.

message 31: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments IMO katy Perry's cleavage is not impressive enough to be causing this kind of controversy...some people will find anything to bitch about...sheesh!

message 32: by Cambridge (last edited Sep 26, 2010 12:03PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I second Alecia! Plus I thought the act was cute and she looked like she was having a really fun time. Without the controversy I wouldnt have given the dress and look a second thought.

Double Sheesh! :)

message 33: by Heidi (last edited Sep 27, 2010 07:44PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sandy wrote: "I don't know where I've been burying my head, but I saw Katie Perry for the first time last week. I then looked her up on Wiki and Youtube.
I think she's a beautiful, talented woman, who'd look ..."

It seems you missed (it was mentioned in post 28) she was trying to talk Elmo into playing dress-up. It was a dress-up costume, not some random outfit she decided to wear to the Sesame Street set. I don't believe Katy Perry dresses like a hooker. I can't speak for any other young women who choose to dress like a hooker, though - I think that's a matter of taste. I didn't see anything necessarily provocative about the dress. It just seems to show a lot of skin. A lot (and skin's fine with me).

ADDENDUM (posted 3 hours later): Her personal taste seems to lean towards 50s Varga or Elvgren pin up girls. I LOVE that look! If I could pull it off, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Heidi wrote: "It just seems to show a lot of skin. A lot (and skin's fine with me)."

Ditto.

message 35: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments LARRY! Hahahaha ;)

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments thank you RA. thank you. TY. thanks. T

good thing about that clip is that the dialogue is mildly amusing and you can also watch it with the sound turned off and it is still good

message 38: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Sandy wrote: "I don't know where I've been burying my head, but I saw Katie Perry for the first time last week. I then looked her up on Wiki and Youtube.
I think she's a beautiful, talented woman, who'd look ..."

What about Katy looked "hooker-ish" in that clip? I'm not seeing it.

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I didn't see it either Amy.

A lot of hullabaloo about nothing.

message 40: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Alecia wrote: "IMO katy Perry's cleavage is not impressive enough to be causing this kind of controversy...some people will find anything to bitch about...sheesh!"

Looked pretty impressive on the SNL clip RA just posted!

message 41: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Misha wrote: "You must be missing the street corner where they prance around in princess veils and tiaras."

*snort*

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Well if dancing around on a street corner makes her hooker-ish, then I must be pimp-ish.

message 43: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments There aren't any girls dancing on street corners in tiaras.

message 44: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Jim wrote: "Well if dancing around on a street corner makes her hooker-ish, then I must be pimp-ish."

Because you slap girls who dance on street corners and take their money?

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Amelia wrote: "Because you slap girls who dance on street corners and take their money?"

Um, no. It has more to do with me dancing on street corners :)

message 46: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Amelia wrote: "Alecia wrote: "IMO katy Perry's cleavage is not impressive enough to be causing this kind of controversy...some people will find anything to bitch about...sheesh!"

Looked pretty impressive on ..."

I agree, much more impressive on SNL...I'm betting there was a miracle bra involved. I think they should re-shoot the Sesame Street segment while she's wearing her SNL outfit...then the parents could legitimately bitch about it and all the breast fed babies could be temporarily mesmerized (dads too, but that's kind of a given).

message 47: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Jim, that would just make you a boy hooker...

message 48: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Amelia wrote: "Jim, that would just make you a boy hooker..."

Well it would but no one was offering me any money. :)

message 49: by Jim (last edited Sep 27, 2010 10:22AM) (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Well, there was the one guy who said he'd pay me to quit.

message 50: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) I agree with everyone who said it wasn't a big deal. I wonder do these complainers also complain about the winter olympics? Bc those outfits are the same if not worse.

I agree 100% with Amelia (I think it was) that said the kids who watch are too young to care. It looked like a dress up outfit. Had a cape on the back and all.

« previous 1