Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Wanted

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 58 comments um...I started a topic on it about a week ago, and raved about how much I loved it. (I guess you could check out those comments) Considering how many action movies there are out there these days, and how high-quality this one is (it's burning up the box office, the Russian director is the same guy who did Nightwatch and Daywatch), mayhap you could clarify what's uncalled for in this movie. The violence? The profanity? Angelina Jolie and her kick-a** performance? James McAvoy, his pumped-up physique, and his snarky monologue? What about any of that did you not know going in, considering the blanket of TV ads?

message 2: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Amy's question is reasonable. What did you find uncalled for? What aspect of this film in the 21st century is so far over the top that you find the film itself so objectionable? There are any number of films that are more graphic in the depiction of violence, I give you The History of Violence and Eastern Promises just to name two, and both of them are exceptionally well done, unlike say, Hostel, which was merely done reasonably well, but was infinitely more graphic in its depiction of violence without any context that made it anything more than purient in its presentation. So, by all means, say what you wish, but elucidate further, if you would.

message 3: by Novi Maizir (new)

Novi Maizir | 15 comments I like this movie. I'm surprise to see James McAvoy starring an action movie (as we know, he used to star a drama romantic or comedy movies. I like his acting in Rory O'Shea was here).
Well, Jolie?...As cool as usual, nothing's special. Most of all, I like the "flying" bullets...;)

message 4: by James (last edited Jul 09, 2008 09:07PM) (new)

James Marsh (marshy00) I thought this was shocking - McAvoy was terribly miscast and his character, instead of being world weary and ironic came across as just really really annoying to the point where I couldn't give a monkey's about him. And his accent was rubbish too.

And, um...the Loom of Fate...really? I mean...REALLY?

As with Nightwatch - it looked good, but if you pay attention to what's going on, the whole thing is a load of old bobbins.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 58 comments I myself pointed out in my original posting (again, on the ORIGINAL Wanted thread) that the Loom of Fate plot is not exactly up there with War and Peace. That's not one of the many elements that I like about the movie.

Nightwatch and Daywatch are an entirely other matter. These are Russian movies made on shoestring budgets, that give the viewer incredible eyecandy and action. They're based on a fantasy novel that is an enormous bestseller in Russia and involve beings pledged to either Dark or Light, with all kinds of wacky powers. Given that, I need some clarification from your comment about Nightwatch -
"if you pay attention to what's going on, the whole thing is a load of old bobbins" -
What precisely is this supposed to mean?

message 6: by Novi Maizir (new)

Novi Maizir | 15 comments it's only another popcorn movie...just enjoy it--don't take it seriously...LOL

message 7: by ScottK (new)

ScottK I actually liked it alot.

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Howdy ScottK,I really liked this as well though I thought at first it was going to be a turkey.

message 9: by Angie (last edited Jul 12, 2008 05:08PM) (new)

Angie bobbins? hummm...

don't forget to check for threads so there aren't repeat ones! :)

message 10: by George (new)

George | 951 comments aren't bobbins those spindles with threads wrapped around them? I suppose the Loom of Fate is a bit much, but this was taken from a comic was it not?

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 19 comments It was alright. My mom dragged me to it because she has a huge crush on McAvoy. I liked some of the effects especially with the bullets, but could have done without all the blood, but again, this isn't a movie I would have been jumping up and down to watch on my own, as I mentioned, I was dragged, but I enjoyed it enough.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 42 comments This movie was bad ass! I'm so desensitized. People say it was gory, but I thought it wasn't too bad. I loved the special effects.