Open Mind, Open Heart discussion

NEW BOOKS > Humanizing Muhammad - Deepak Chopra's Latest Book

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
So, I found this review http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09...
on CNN that discusses Deepak Chopra's book, "Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet," and was struck by how the reviewer appreciated how Deepak humanized Muhammad. The reviewer calls this story an "intimate" portrait that helps us understand Muhammad the man. I love that! So often I think we forget that Muhammad, Jesus and Buddha were great teachers, leading people to God, but were not in fact Gods themselves.

Now I want to reach this book and the stories Chopra has written about Jesus and Buddha. How wonderful to get another perspective.

message 2: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
Sorry, hit enter before asking if any of you have read this book or Chopra's books about Jesus and Buddha. I'm curious to know what you think.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) I've never understood the fascination with Deep-Pockets Chopra, other than how he continues to thrive for over 3 decades, now. He's an opportunist, is all. This latest book would be one small example. His whole career is nothing more than riding the wave of whatever is in vogue. And somehow disguising the fact that he's full of shit! But people keep falling for his line. There is nothing genuine, sincere, or original, about him.
Deep-Pockets is living proof that 'No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.'

The whole 'spirituality' out-of-India is rife with half-baked fakirs, Swami Snatchadarupees, money grubbers, and bullshit artists. Deep-Pockets is but one of many. Where do you think Televangelists learned how to play this game?

head/desk head/desk

j
(Please don't make the tar too hot, and use down feather if yo don't mind.)

message 4: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) Starr, sorry, i hit enter before answering your question. Yes, I read them, as much as I could stomach; he can't write to save his ass. I've also met him, several times. Each time was less impressed than the last. I've also been through India (several times), stayed at the Bhagwan's ashram, lived in a Tibetan refugee village in the Himalayas, and had an audience with the Dalai Lama.
If I gave my rant on that one, forget tar and feathers, I'd be looking at a lynching. :)

message 5: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
LOL! I like that "deep-pockets." To be honest, I've only attempted to read one book that he wrote and that was about five years ago. To me it felt like he talked in circles and took pleasure in confusing me, but I figured I was confused because of my lack of knowledge about all things metaphysical/spiritual (especially since it was one of the very first books on the subject that I attempted to read, but never finished). These are definately books that I would check out at the library, because I'll be honest, I know I might lose interest.

message 6: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) "To me it felt like he talked in circles and took pleasure in confusing me..."

Perfect description; he's the same in person. 'If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.'

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 33 comments No tar and feathers ("Deep-pockets" is pretty funny), but I'm a fan of Chopra.

I've read his books Jesus: A Story of Enlightenment and Buddha: A Story of Enlightenment, and I have Muhammad: A Story of the Last Prophet checked out from the library right now but I haven't cracked it yet. I like the two novels I've read in this series about enlightened masters, but I didn't enjoy them nearly as much as some of his nonfiction: The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life (although I tried to read this one 3 times before I actually finished it; it was so much wisdom at once that I felt confused and overwhelmed until I finally just pushed through by listening to it on audiobook; so glad i did!), Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul: How to Create a New You, and The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self.

message 8: by Starr (new)

Starr | 183 comments Mod
Thanks Emily for letting us know about these other books! Your post made me think of how I naturally distrust what I don't understand. And the book I tried to read was probably way over my head, so I just judged it rather than finish it. I appreciate the awareness! ;)