A History of Royals discussion

Archived book discussions > Buddy Read: Elizabeth and Leicester by Sarah Gristwood (October 2010)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
Since we had two winners this month, and so many of the group have already read the Borgia Bride, we have decided to set up a Buddy Read folder for anyone who would like to read Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics by Sarah Gristwood. Enjoy.

message 2: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
So excited people will be reading this with me :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments I actually have this one - and I think I know where it is, shockingly enough.

message 4: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Great. Hope you enjoy it!

message 5: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (britishfrenchhistoryenthusiast) | 10 comments Is it okay if we read a different edition that the one listed? I see only this edition is available in stores in my area: Elizabeth and Leicester The Truth about the Virgin Queen and the Man She Loved by Sarah Gristwood . Otherwise, I'd have to order it and wait for it to be shipped. Also does the discussion for this book start at the same time as the group read?

message 6: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Nadine, it's the same book so you're good :)
And anytime you want to start discussing any book we read, feel free. Just mark that there may be spoilers in your post (although in non-fiction it's obviously not as important as in fiction)

message 7: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

As Jennifer said, any edition of the book is fine. I just pick the first one that shows up when I load the link. Have fun, Nadine, glad you are joining in.

message 8: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (britishfrenchhistoryenthusiast) | 10 comments Thanks for the responses. Just picked it up yesterday. Looking forward to discussing it :-)

message 9: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

I finished this one last night and loved it. There were parts that were a bit slow for me and it ended up taking me over 2 months to read it but that was mostly because of other things going on and reading other books. Looking forward to discussing with everyone :)

message 10: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (britishfrenchhistoryenthusiast) | 10 comments *SPOILERS* (btw, I am not sure there are spoilers in this post, but since I am stating something about the author's opinion I suppose there is). My overall impression of the book is that it is quite readable. However, I think Gristwood makes out Robert Dudley and his family somewhat devoid of fault during certain situations. The funny thing is that I take issue with the part of the book that isn't technically about Robert Dudley. It almost appears as if she is proposing that Edward VI put forth the idea of Jane Grey as his successor without any outside influence. Precocious has he might have been, he was molded to his ideals from a young age and I think he was easily manipulated by the opinions of his advisors. John Dudley knew what he was doing when he arranged the marriage between Jane Grey and his son. I thought the best part of the book was actually the appendix section: "Arthur Dudley" was very well written and argued.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert (robertstephenparry) I agree with Nadine. Gristwood's is an excellent biography and well-written. Yes it can be quite forgiving at moments regarding the misdemeanours of the Dudley family, but there are worse offenders in respect to attributing the calamitous events of 1553 to Edward alone. The poor boy was constantly under the thumb of firstly his uncles (the Seymours) and finally John Dudley - all ruthless and powerful men physically and mentally. Dudley was, of course, looking to establish a new dynasty with his son Guildford at the side of a new Queen Jane. Edward and much of his Council were manipulated by Dudley to those ends.
All in all I would recommend Gristwood to anyone seeking a balanced view of the relationship between Elizabeth and Leicester itself. A good read.

message 12: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I have been reading the comments here, and now I REALLY want to read this book. Just what I need, lol, another book on my list!