Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > Unholy Ghosts--October Group Read--SPOILER FREE

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) No spoilers in this topic, please.

message 2: by Armand (new)

Armand (armand-i) | 43 comments Unholy Vocabulary:

1. Forked Stang: Kind of what I expected, a forked stick. Apparently associated with witchcraft ? I like the word stang. Never heard it before.

2. Psychopomp: Guide to the dead (I love this word)

3. Asafetida: a mix of ground herb root.

4. Taupe: Grey-brown. Does anyone know- is this pronounced tope ?

5. Plinth: A slab that supports stone columns

message 3: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Gah, I was going to check this out at my library -- I was so happy they had it, usually their UF selection is iffy at best -- and the branch that has it is closed until winter 2011 for renovations. :(

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 188 comments I ended up buying it from Walmart for 5 dollars. My county doesnt carry it in the library for some reason.

message 5: by Armand (new)

Armand (armand-i) | 43 comments More Unholy Vocab: Liaise- to play the part of a go-between. Negotiator.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (gumshoegal) | 12 comments I'm going to pass on this one. Too disturbing for me.

message 7: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments Sabrina Fair wrote: ":( That's no good. Do you think if you put it on hold to be brought to the branch near you it would work? ..."

When I tried to reserved it, it just said it was unavailable and didn't give me any other options. I broke down and bought it. I just started it and so far I like it.

message 8: by Armand (new)

Armand (armand-i) | 43 comments more vocab:

car jacket- I couldn't find this anywhere. I did find "car coat" which is like a 2/3's trench coat.

beggar's velvet- aka dust bunnies- I had never heard the term beggar's velvet before. Maybe I'm too sheltered...

gris-gris- magic fetish object.

message 9: by Jenese (new)

Jenese (jsnow09) | 14 comments I had this book recommended to me not too long ago, I plan on buying it this month. :) I'm excited that you all are reading it too.

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Donna wrote: "I'm going to pass on this one. Too disturbing for me."

For what it is worth, I held off reading it for the drug abuse reason (that was what was bothersome to me), it is handled very well by the author. But I understand we all have to make our own decisions about books. :)

message 11: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom I got this on audio,(advice from a friend) the narrator is fantastic ! I think some of the language might be hard to read/pronounce in my head to make this story come alive (at least for me). I am really loving this story, it is not what I expected at all. Loving it and I am only about 25% into it. : )

message 12: by Lisa M (last edited Oct 05, 2010 07:58PM) (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments I'm about 100 pages into this one. I'm really enjoying it so far. As a few people have mentioned in this group, the whole drug abuse issue is uncomfortable to read about. But the story is very entertaining. It definately adds a unique twist to the UF heroine image.

EDIT -- Um, the drug abuse has been mentioned before, so I'm assuming that's not a spoiler. I hope it isn't.

message 13: by Armand (new)

Armand (armand-i) | 43 comments Just hit the 1/2 way mark

message 14: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments I'm about 2/3 of the way through. I'm loving this book. It's completely engrossing. I have to admit, I did figure out something that was gonna happen to a minor character. I'll saything more on the "Spoiler" thread once I finish it.

I also have a feeling that the person I think might be the end bad guy, probably isn't. Mainly because Chess now also believes it's that person too. I think it's too soon for her to correctly figure out the end bad guy. Wow, that was amazingly vague. Keeping things spoiler-free makes for interesting phrasing. :P

message 15: by Yodamom (new)

Yodamom I finished it yesterday, I LOVED IT !!! I ordered the next two .

message 16: by Jamie (JK) (last edited Oct 12, 2010 03:17PM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Just started this last night, I think I'm only 40-50 pages in, but it's interesting. I'm not really liking the drug use thing, but... it's different too so I'll keep reading. I'm a little confused about the world though. It's not really clear on where this fits in with our world. Is it an alternate one or did something happen in the world to make it like this? Guess the synopsis for the book talks about it actually... but does it ever get covered in the book itself?

Also... does anyone in this book aside from Chess speak properly? At this point three or four other characters have been introduced, but none of them speak correctly.

message 17: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) A sort of apocalypse happened, I can't remember where it is explained in the book. I am not sure if you have missed it -- or it comes up later. It happened in the laste 1990s and now b/c of what happened society collapsed and the world is different.

There is a delineation between people who have been educated (and likely raised by their parents) and those who have not been -- their manner of speaking reflects this different.

As you go on in the books (I have read the first 3) you learn why Chess self-medicates. The drug use thing was a big reason I waited so long to read this series -- I thought it would glamorize it or make it a nominal thing, but it creates real problems for Chess. Hope you enjoy it!

message 18: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments I finished this today and LOVED IT! Yes, I was kinda iffy on the drug use, but the book is great. I posted my (longer) thoughts on the spoiler thread. But overall, absolutely great book.

message 19: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Regina - I probably haven't gotten to it yet then. I'm happy to know about it more at this point though because I really felt lost with the characters and setting.

Chess' drug thing... I'd imagine it serves more of a purpose than just a feel good for her. I'm guessing it'll be something similar to the guy in... ah, I can't think of the series... Street Magic by Caitlin Kittredge!

message 20: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I haven't read that yet (is it good?) ...... but she has a very painful past and her drug use places limitations on what she is able to do and how she can do it (without spoiling anything!). Plus it puts in her situations and gives her relationships with people she likely wouldn't know otherwise.

Did you want me to post on the spoiler thread what happened to cause the shift in the world?

message 21: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) Yeah, I have read about the drugs affecting her ability to do her job. She mentions at the airport, her first time being there, that the drugs make her hazy and not able to sense things as well as she could.

Ah, no, I'll get there eventually, but thanks. =]

message 22: by Armand (new)

Armand (armand-i) | 43 comments last vocab check

twig (as a verb)- to understand or "get" something.

profundo: I actually can't figure out what this means. the sentence in the book is "the heavy profundo thumping of her nose." I think profundo means deep.

carbuncles: boils on the body.

message 23: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 311 comments @Armand, I love your vocab checks in here. They're great and helped me out on some of terms I hadn't read before. My favorite - beggar's velvet. :)

message 24: by Armand (new)

Armand (armand-i) | 43 comments Lisa MH wrote: "@Armand, I love your vocab checks in here. They're great and helped me out on some of terms I hadn't read before. My favorite - beggar's velvet. :)"

thank you Lisa MH !

message 25: by Jamie (JK) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) It's nice that Chess doesn't equate sex with love.

2/3 of the way through the book now. I really need to just buckle down and finish this.