Writers and Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Writer Q & A (Archived) > Q and A with author Tera Lynn Childs: Sept. 24th-26th

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (last edited Sep 24, 2010 07:10AM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1779 comments Mod
Please welcome to our Q and A discussion the acclaimed author Tera Lynn Childs. She is the award-winning author of Oh. My. Gods., Goddess Boot Camp and the mermaid story, Forgive My Fins.

According to her website, “Tera lives nowhere in particular and has spent time fleeing hurricanes, making character profiles on MySpace, blogging on her own and with the Buzz Girls, and writing wherever she can find a comfy chair and a steady stream of caffeinated beverages.”

Her website: http://www.teralynnchilds.com/

Her Blog: http://teralynnchilds.blogspot.com/

Her Goodreads Profile:
Tera Lynn Childs

Her Books:

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

Goddess Boot Camp by Tera Lynn Childs

Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1) by Tera Lynn Childs

Fins Are Forever (Fins, #2) by Tera Lynn Childs

message 2: by Tera (new)

Tera (teralynnchilds) Hi everyone! I'm excited to be here, answering your questions. I'll be in and out all weekend, so ask away!

message 3: by Tera (new)

Tera (teralynnchilds) M.R. wrote: "Hello, I am an author also, and I want to know how the ebook revolution has affected you as a writer."

Hi M.R. and thanks for the first question! I'm not sure that the ebook revolution has affected me as a writer (the job remains the same: write the best book possible) although, since buying a Nook, I have to say it has affected me as a reader--in a good way.

All three of my books have been released simultaneously in ebook format, on all the major platforms. There are seven ebook ISBNs listed on my latest royalty statement for Goddess Boot Camp, for example. The ebook sales for that reporting period account for less than 12% of all the sales, which ended before my paperback release and doesn't include reserves against returns for print copies. So probably the overall percentage is even less than that, maybe 10% or less. In the last reporting period for Oh. My. Gods. (which has fewer reserves left and a cheaper paperback edition accounted for) it's closer to 5-6%. I haven't received a royalty statement for Forgive My Fins yet.

I'm sure the percentages vary across publishers/genres/authors, but for me the ebook revenues are not a significant part of my sales. But every little bit always helps!

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) Hello!!!
I was wondering, if you could give any beginning author one piece of advice what would you tell them and why?
(Also, would you mind if I feature your answer in a "Project to Published" post on my blog?)
Thanks!!!

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels
http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

message 5: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1779 comments Mod
You use mythology and legend as background for your novels. Is that an interest of yours or did you decide to use it for another reason?

message 6: by Tera (new)

Tera (teralynnchilds) Emma wrote: "Hello!!!
I was wondering, if you could give any beginning author one piece of advice what would you tell them and why?
(Also, would you mind if I feature your answer in a "Project to Published" pos..."

Hi Emma! Yes, you absolutely have my permission to feature my answer on your blog.

Whenever an aspiring writer asks me for advice I tell them three things: 1. Read as much as possible, so you can learn how other writers use words to tell story. 2. Write as much as possible, so you can learn how you use words to tell story. 3. Become a keen observer of life, so you can learn to notice the details that will make your storytelling feel more real and tangible. And, finally, once you have a start on those, then my bonus advice is finish the book.

message 7: by Tera (new)

Tera (teralynnchilds) A. F. wrote: "You use mythology and legend as background for your novels. Is that an interest of yours or did you decide to use it for another reason?"

Hi A.F. Great question.

I have always been interested in mythology and ancient cultures, ever since I was a child. But I didn't consciously decide to write about mythology. I was playing around with reality TV show titles and came up with Growing Up Godly (a twist on the A&E show Growing Up Gotti). Since I don't write inspirational fiction, I had to find another meaning for Godly. I immediately thought of the Greek gods, and that became the working title of Oh. My. Gods.

And mermaids ... well, I've been obsessed with mermaids since I first saw the movie Splash in elementary school.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) Yeay! Thank you so much! I will be featuring it tomorrow!

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels
http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 97 comments Interesting about ebook vs paper book sales. Does that mean your real-world advertising is more effective than your internet advertising, or do you think internet advertising sells more real-world books than ebooks? Or d'you think it's just the demographic you write for prefers paper?

message 10: by Tera (new)

Tera (teralynnchilds) Sheila wrote: "Interesting about ebook vs paper book sales. Does that mean your real-world advertising is more effective than your internet advertising, or do you think internet advertising sells more real-world ..."

Hi Sheila. Actually, I do very little real-world advertising, if only because it's cost prohibitive. My publisher does some, but most of the promotion is online just because that's where the world is interacting now. The bottom line is that the purpose of advertising is to spark word-of-mouth, and nothing spreads that faster than social networking.

As for my demographics, that probably does affect the percentage of sales that are electronic. I think teens are less likely to be reading ebooks than adults for the simple reason that they are less likely to be able to afford an ereader.

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 97 comments Tera wrote: "Sheila wrote: "Interesting about ebook vs paper book sales. Does that mean your real-world advertising is more effective than your internet advertising, or do you think internet advertising sells m..." That does make sense, about the demographic. And it's comforting to read that most of your advertising is on the internet. What do you find is the best way to spark "work-of-mouth" advertising, as opposed to just chat, or do you think they work together?

message 12: by Tera (new)

Tera (teralynnchilds) Sheila wrote: "What do you find is the best way to spark "work-of-mouth" advertising, as opposed to just chat, or do you think they work together?"

I don't think there's any foolproof way to get the word out, but the very best sales tool an author has in her arsenal is her writing. If you can get someone to read your work and they love it, they will tell other about it. That kind of promotion grows exponentially, it's the kind of momentum you (or even the biggest of publishers) can't buy.

For my own efforts, I blog and Tweet and Facebook--not so much in a BUY MY BOOK kind of way, but in a way that conveys my personality/voice as an author. To give potential readers a taste of what they'll find in my books. That's also why I have excerpts on my website, because if someone reads those pages and likes them, then they'll probably buy the whole book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.