Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > fictional settings?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by willaful (new)

willaful I saw a fictional setting listed in the settings field today, wondered if that was okay.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael | 262 comments I hope so 'cos I've added the likes of Middle-earth, Gormenghast and Narnia to a few books.

message 3: by [ A ] (new)

[ A ] | 51 comments I was kind of wondering this too... I always got the impression this was only for non-fictional settings, so I never added anything.

Then I forgot to ask about it. :P

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael | 262 comments It seens valid to me, but I'm only a grunt. One of the elite will tell us soon ;-D

message 5: by willaful (new)

willaful Amanda (JT) wrote: "I was kind of wondering this too... I always got the impression this was only for non-fictional settings, so I never added anything.

Then I forgot to ask about it. :P"

Yeah, that was my asumption too, for some reason.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael | 262 comments But what if I wanted to read stories set on Tatooine, Luke Skywalker's homeworld. An easy way to find books in that setting is if some thoughtful Librarian has added the setting data.

What harm is it if the setting is fictional? After all, we enter data about fictional characters, so why not where they live?

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Well, all the Librarian Manual says is:

"setting

The setting field is for noting what location(s) the book takes place in.

Setting will populate through every edition combined with the edition you are working on. "

But I vote yes on fictional settings.

message 8: by willaful (new)

willaful Yeah, it seems reasonable enough. I think it was the choice of possibilities that made me think it was intended only for real places.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 362 comments I vote yes on including notes for fictional settings too, please.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45010 comments Mod
The only reason there was ever a ban on fictional settings was that originally the system demanded a zip code or a currently existing country. That limitation was changed in large part to allow for fictional and obsolete settings.

message 11: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (okalrelsrv) | 8 comments One library practice is to name the place with (Imaginary Place) in ( ) afterwards. I'm going to be doing SF books -- my own and others -- so I'm thinking I'll use that practice if not told otherwise.

e.g. Pern (Imaginary place)

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45010 comments Mod
Seems to me that belongs in the description field for the setting, not in the title of the setting. Especially as it will cause there to be duplicates created. Pern, for instance, already exists: http://www.goodreads.com/places/6693-...

message 13: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (okalrelsrv) | 8 comments rivka wrote: "Seems to me that belongs in the description field for the setting, not in the title of the setting. Especially as it will cause there to be duplicates created. Pern, for instance, already exists: h..."

Pern already exists and shows up as "set in Pern". Right. Mmm. Might be a case where the old rules shouldn't apply. I'll just use the place name and leave off the (Imaginary Place). Oh, and look for a description field for the setting. :-)

message 14: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (okalrelsrv) | 8 comments Michael wrote: "But what if I wanted to read stories set on Tatooine, Luke Skywalker's homeworld. An easy way to find books in that setting is if some thoughtful Librarian has added the setting data.

What harm is..."

Here's a conundrum. Should the setting be Tatooine, or Star Wars? In SF works characters often move around between planets. A better example might be Narnia. Rather than name the kingdom or kingdoms a book takes place in, just naming Narnia might be wiser. Also things like "Never Land". I'm labeling my own books "Okal Rel Universe" rather than naming the most frequented planet. And have done likewise for Kristine Perron's Warp World. Let me know if super-librarian disagrees.

message 15: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments The setting should be Tatooine and I would probably use the most frequented place as the setting.

In a Star Wars example, if the majority of the book takes place on Tatooine, but they also travel to 5 other planets throughout the book. I would stick with Tatooine as it's the main setting.

Narnia and Neverland would be fine. I'm not sure about about Okal Rel as I've never read it, but I would think as a general guideline I would think of what I would search for if I were looking for a book set in a specific place.

I wouldn't look for for a book set in "Star Wars" because 1) that's not a place and 2) I would just look for the Star Wars series. I would look up Middle-Earth for Lord of the Rings and Westeros for A Game of Thrones, instead of any other of the fleeting places they go to.

message 16: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (okalrelsrv) | 8 comments Thanks. That's something to work with.