Fans of Maps discussion

Other kinds of maps. > Topographical

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 645 comments Mod
I've seen these (or one kind of these?) at REI outfitters stores. I understand the idea of contour lines, but I'm not sure how much time I'd have to spend learning them to benefit from them. Also, they seem expensive. But that's probably for good reason, as they need to be so very detailed and carefully made. Do any of you use these?

message 2: by Ralph (new)

Ralph McEwen | 46 comments At my work in the radio comm section they are used alot. The maps help find where to build new towers to get the best coverage. Also the hunters buy them every year. We have quite a few where I work and hunting is so popular here the cartography division has a special machine that will print topo maps on demand.

message 3: by Ralph (new)

Ralph McEwen | 46 comments Today I picked up National Geographic TOPO! map program for Nevada and California. The scale is 1:24,000 instead of the common 1:100,000. Which means 1" on the map = 24,000 inches on the ground, according to "Groundspeak.com". This should be fun, interesting and useful for geocaching. I am going to post this message to the geocaching topic also.

message 4: by Yvensong (new)

Yvensong | 33 comments When I went backpacking with friends, we'd obtain topo maps of the area we were heading into. Very useful when we decided to stray from the usual backpacking areas.

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary Proctor | 1 comments Just be careful to check the contour interval before making any judgement using a topo map. The typical USGS quad map uses a 20 foot interval, so it not of much use to hikers going "off road".

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 645 comments Mod
good reminder, tx!

message 7: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 46 comments I use them all the time and carry topos with my GPS. Once you learn to read them, you can look at them and "see" the contour on a much larger scale than you can on a GPS screen. I also like to draw routes and notes on them. In fact, USGS topos are my favorite kind of map because they are so...useful.

National Geographic makes very good Trails Illustrated maps for the national parks & monuments. They are water-resistant, colorful, and fairly accurate.