Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Need Jamie's Hunting Prayer

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mommabear (new)

Mommabear | 9 comments I'm not sure if it was in book 5 or 6 but Jamie took Rodger hunting and taught him the prayer for when they take an animal's life for food. I knew I should have copied it out when I first found it, but silly me thought I would go back and got caught up reading to far ahead to remember where it is.

Thanks

message 2: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Mommabear wrote: "I'm not sure if it was in book 5 or 6 but Jamie took Rodger hunting and taught him the prayer for when they take an animal's life for food. I knew I should have copied it out when I first found it,..."

Do you mean the scene when they slaughter a pig and it took Roger several times to kill it? Afterwards he felt miserably and Claire thought the "gralloch prayer" might help and asked Jamie to recite it.It is in ABOSAA, chapter 71, Black Pudding, the English translation from "an ancient tongue come down from the days of the Norsemen":

O Lord, bless the blood and the flesh of this the creature that You gave me.
Created by Your hand as You created man,
Life given for life.
That me and mine may eat with thanks for the gift,
That me and mine may give thanks for Your own sacrifice of blood and flesh,
Life given for life.

message 3: by Mommabear (new)

Mommabear | 9 comments Lotte wrote: "Mommabear wrote: "I'm not sure if it was in book 5 or 6 but Jamie took Rodger hunting and taught him the prayer for when they take an animal's life for food. I knew I should have copied it out when..."

Bingo! Thanks a bunch!