Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Group Read Discussions > October's MC - Storm Glass - Roll Call & General Chatter

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Sep 30, 2010 03:36PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) If I may be so bold as to suggest a member's choice group read for October, since Amy agreed to join me in reading the Glass series by Maria V. Snyder. The last of the trilogy, Spy glass, was just released in Sept 2010.

Storm Glass (Glass, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Sea Glass (Glass, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Spy Glass (Glass, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

This is a trilogy that follows her Study series (Poison Study, Magic Study, Fire Study). Both series take place in the same world. Main characters from Study series (Yelena and Valek) do make an appearance in the Glass series. A minor character in the Study series (Opal Cowan) is the main character in the Glass series.

Other Covers:
Storm Glass (Glass, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Sea Glass (Glass, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Spy Glass (Glass, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

Storm Glass (Glass, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Sea Glass (Glass, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Spy Glass by Maria V. Snyder

message 2: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
I was going to start the Study series this week... I think I'll see if I can get the Sea Glass series instead :D

We'll just go with it since there's already a couple people interested.

message 3: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 77 comments Yay! I have the UK covers (the Spy Glass one above in Briansgirl's post) for this series but I prefer the US ones (the first two above).

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Sep 23, 2010 07:45AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I've got the covers to match the first two. No idea what my third one will look like since I won it and it's being mailed to me directly from the author. So have to wait and see.

Shanon, you might want to read the Study series first. I'm sure the Glass series would stand alone, but I wouldn't want anything in the Glass series to ruin the Study series for you if you read that later. I loved the Study series so much, I read the three books in four days!

Hope you don't mind I put it here for member's choice Shanon. I was looking around to see where to put it and all I could think of was this, or use it for a series discussion. Since we didn't have any other group reads going, I thought this would work.

message 5: by Shanon (new)

Member's choice works for me!

Thanks for the tip on the Study series. I'll read them first but it shouldn't take too long. I'll start the Glass series right after so I'll be late but not too much.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) You're gonna love the Study series. They're great! (hhmmm, I sound like Tony the Tiger. lol). I'm just hoping the Glass series is just as good.

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison (alimac) The glass series is good. Not quite as good as the Study series, but I look forward to discusions.

message 8: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I read Poison Study and really enjoyed it. Lush world. Breathing charicters. However my tbr list is pretty loaded so I probobly wont be joining this discusion. I want to read the rest of the Study books and then the prior glass books first. Glad things are rollin though.

Lily

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) This is the first of the Glass books Lily. But I completely understand wanting to finish the Study series first.

message 10: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Oh. This is the first Glass book. Maybe I will order it then.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) The Glass books, in order are:
Storm Glass
Sea Glass
Spy Glass

message 12: by Shanon (new)

Is it going to be just a trilogy or will there be more?

message 13: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Sep 30, 2010 03:27PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Study series was a trilogy. Glass series is a trilogy. The author has not said wether she'll write more in this world or not yet, but these two trilogy's are complete. Each trilogy stands alone but they take place in the same world with characters that cross over between both series. I'd love a backstory on the history of Valek and the Commander. At the moment, her publisher's asked her to write a steampunk novel. (I'm a member of her GRs group where she visits and lets us know what's going on.)

However, all that being said, there are a few little extra's. :) On the author's official website she gives away some short stories, to include two listed below: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/shortstor...
To get Ice Study, you must sign up for her newsletter. Every issue has a portion of the story (and a special link to back portions of the story in case you missed any previously.)

Order of books:

Poison Study - book
Assassin Study - short story
Magic Study - book
Fire Study - book
Power Study - short story
Ice Study - short story in progress :)
Storm Glass - book
Sea Glass - book
Spy Glass - book

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I'm seriously debating if I should just jump into Storm Glass and start it... or since it's been a year, reread the Study series first.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Yay! I have the UK covers (the Spy Glass one above in Briansgirl's post) for this series but I prefer the US ones (the first two above)."

Switched em around a little to show them all. I think it's interesting how they all look different.

message 16: by Shanon (new)

I like the 2nd set of covers the most. But the 1st set is a close second. If I wasn't into ebooks I think I'd have a hard time not buying books just because of pretty covers & that 2nd set would be very tempting.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I think the second set is the UK covers, and the first set is the US covers. No idea where the third set of covers is available.

message 18: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 77 comments ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "I think the second set is the UK covers, and the first set is the US covers. No idea where the third set of covers is available."

Yep, they're the UK covers. These are the ones I have though I wanted the first set but they were more expensive :(

message 19: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Sep 30, 2010 11:42PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) It is interesting to see how they do different sets of covers. Here's the first series.

Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder
Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder
Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

I have the odd mix of:

I can't see that they made a Fire Study cover to match the two I have. Interestingly enough, when I got a bookmark in the mail from the author, it has the exact same 3 covers I have for the Study series.

message 20: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 77 comments I have --> Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder . I wish they all matched the first one.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I've decided to reread the Study series before starting the Glass series. I just finished Poison Study. Loved it all over again.

message 22: by Shanon (new)

I'm starting the 3rd in the Study series this week then will jump right into Storm Glass by the end of next week.

These have been my first Maria Snyder books and I'm lovin' her writting & the world she's created.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I feel in love with it too Shanon. Glad you're enjoying them. I think you'll enjoy the Glass series as a continution or follow up to this Study series. I can't imagine starting with the Glass series and missing all this.

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 77 comments I love the Study series and am currently waiting for my copies of the Spy series to arrive so I can read this months selection.

I think her poison series is quite an original idea,and her world is rich with many possible spin-offs.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I dearly love the Study series but didn't really care much for Opal's character. So I've been unsure about reading the Glass series where she is the main character. Ixia/Sitia world is so rich and the author is so good, I can't imagine the Glass series being bad. I just loved Yelena so much, I want her back! lol I've been assured by the author that Yelena and Valek do show up, at least briefly, in the Glass series so we can see what they're up to. For that reason alone, I've got to read them. I've kinda put off reading the Glass series too until I had all three books. I had the first two tempting me on the shelf and just won an authographed copy of Spy Glass so now can read the entire Glass series. I just decided to reread Study series first, all all short stories as well, in order, from start to finish. (See list I posted above).

message 26: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 77 comments Oh, I forgot about the short stories, I haven't read them yet. I think I'll read those first. I don't have time to re-read the study series this month as I've joined too many Halloween challenges :(

message 27: by Shanon (new)

Shorts?!? What shorts & where do I get them?!?!

message 28: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 77 comments Shanon, check message 13 of this thread. Assassin Study is free, you can get it from the Goodreads book page. I'm not sure about the others, I haven't looked yet.

message 29: by Shanon (new)

Ooops - guess I didn't read that post all the way. Thanks

message 30: by Shanon (new)

Ooops - guess I didn't read that post all the way. Thanks

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) The shorts are all free and available either on the author's website or after joining her newsletter (also free).

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Oh, I forgot about the short stories, I haven't read them yet. I think I'll read those first. I don't have time to re-read the study series this month as I've joined too many Halloween challenges :("

They are short, but very good. :)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Shanon wrote: "Shorts?!? What shorts & where do I get them?!?!"

Never fear Shanon. lol They are free and easy to find on the author's website (link in msg 13 above).

message 34: by Kim (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 77 comments If we wait long enough, maybe she'll do a Kelley Armstrong and publish them in book form for charity.

message 35: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Oct 08, 2010 06:24PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Order of books/date read (or reread):

Poison Study - book 10/5/10
Assassin Study - short story 10/5/10
Magic Study - book 10/6/10
Fire Study - book 10/7/10
Power Study - short story 10/8/10
Ice Study - short story in progress :) 10/8/10
Storm Glass - book - Currently Reading
Sea Glass - book
Spy Glass - book

Moving right along...

message 36: by Shanon (new)

Oh. My. Goodness. You are cruising through these books!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I read the first 3 in 4 days last Sep in 2009. I'm enjoying them again and now starting the new ones. I will admit to spending most of the day reading when normally I don't but needed some stress relief so reread the Study series before starting the Glass series. And the short stories aren't long at all. Power Study is the longest at 31 pages. Ice Study so far (I copied off the newsletters to keep them all together) is up to 18 and she's not done yet. And I think Assassin Study was only 15 pages.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Order of books/date read (or reread):

Poison Study - book 10/5/10
Assassin Study - short story 10/5/10
Magic Study - book 10/6/10
Fire Study - book 10/7/10
Power Study - short story 10/8/10
Ice Study - short story in progress :) 10/8/10
Storm Glass - book 10/10/10
Sea Glass - book 10/11/10
Spy Glass - book - Currently Reading

message 39: by Shanon (new)

I started Storm Glass today.

I listened to the audiobook for the Study series and decided to continue with the Glass series. The narrator changed, which is probably a good thing since the main character is different. I enjoy the narrator and have listend to some of her work before but she's pronouncing things differently than the narrator from the Study series. It's driving me NUTS!