The Stepford Wives The Stepford Wives discussion

The Women's Lib

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

A Haunted Reader The book had a definite dated feel. Do you think the reason the author was offering us the tiny, mundane details of what Joanne did during her day was to say that even without the constant cleaning of the house, a stay at homes Mom's life is still pretty busy?

Why do you think that the husband turned on her? Do you think the author was trying to say that even a man who says that he's ok with the women's lib, that he's not and any man would rather have a woman to just 'lay' and clean?

Carole Tyrrell I was thinking throughout that now with technology the robots would develop their own intelligence and look at these ageing men and say 'No way.'
I think although the book does feel dated Men are still judged by having a young, pretty woman on their arm. and of course the robots would never leave. Makes you wonder what happened to the daughters.

Pamela One thing that came to my mind is Joanna's attitude toward the "Stepfords". From the beginning she has nothing but contempt and ridicule for them. Is she not behaving toward them in much the same way the men behave toward her?

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim Swike Ashley, I think the husband turned on her after the Men's Club "converted" him. I think the book is dated, but if you consider the time period, still a good read.

Don't you wish it was a longer book?

message 5: by Feliks (last edited Jun 07, 2013 08:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Feliks Its not the fault of Ira Levin that he couldn't foresee the triumph of creepy geeks like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. He wrote a great novel; why not try to meet it on its own terms. Besides, the fundamentals of good storytelling stay the same no matter what year it is. Its not as if one's imagination is bound by whatever contemporary timeperiod you happen to be living in. Setting and background of a story are always interchangeable, good stories are human stories and Levin doesn't let anyone down when it comes to that department. I myself think the theme of this book is still as relevant and valid as it ever was; and I dismiss any moot differences about how precisely the technology would look (then, vs now). The point is, we still face these power-based ethics in today's world and technology is still used to marginalize individuals.

Ashley I also wondered about the daughters who would be growing up in this environment. I believe there would be a good chance that their daughters would grow up happy, but believing in a perfect marriage, learning from robot mom to put a mans desires above her own, the daughters might not know how to handle problems that happen in a marriage between to imperfect humans. The daughters have a chance at a happy life. I think more harm is done to the son, because they are learning that there desires are more important than the partners. No one want to be with someone who just takes and takes.