Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Massages...health benefits, but worth the expense?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Are massages worth the expense? There's a good article in the NY Times about the benefits of massages...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/hea...

I love massages but I haven't had one in a few years. There used to be a massage school around here where you could get massage students to practice on you for a cut rate...that was awesome. But massages are pretty expensive, I think, and to get one weekly or whatever...I couldn't afford it. What do you think?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments By the way, I'm not talking about the massages you get at dubious establishments at the side of the interstate. Just, uh, to be clear.

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments When I have major back pain or an injury, I'd pay a lot for a good massage. I do not ever get them as maintenance, which is because I am cheap that way.

Odd massage experience: While traveling in the Czech Republic, we got massages at a school. My student masseuse was male and blind. Normally, I prefer a female to work out my kinks, but he did a nice job.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments My wife swears they are worth the expense. I've never had one, but she has almost talked me into one.

message 5: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments I've had a few - and fell asleep every time - but they're too pricey for me.

message 6: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments In the long run, I think if the businessess who provide massages would lower rates they would get more people, more often. If I could afford it, I would have a massage evefry two weeks. If you have any type of back problems or tense muscles, they are wonderful.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I just had my first massage recently. I loved it, but I'll only go back because I have gift certificates. I'm too cheap.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments so we are def not talking about "happy endings" massages right?

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my wife loves to have a massage and goes prob more frequently than i know about. she has a friend who is a massage therapist who gives her a bit of a discount or so i've heard. she lives for a massage. i have gone once when i had a torn calf muscle and was leaving on a hiking trip to honduras in a day or so. thought it might help the circulation. it did feel great but i was all giggly and laughing as this girl is a new age type therapist and she does like the rainwater sounds with flute music, crystal pyramids hanging everywhere and incense burning. she takes my kidding in good stride (prob cause she is getting paid well) and even laughed when i said "no chicken blood or incantations for me today please"

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love massages but don't get them often enough - maybe once a year. My riding always improves afterward. I think there's something to be said about getting the kinks ironed out.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments My wife and I both enjoy them, she on a more regular basis. It's relaxing in itself, and also an hour you're not busy stressing over other things.

message 12: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) TOTALLY worth the expense.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Massages are heavenly.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Mmmmmmmm.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24354 comments Mod
I've never had a professional one and I don't even know how much they cost. I would like to get one though, if it were reasonably priced.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

LG massages are, as Larry said heavenly. Some friends of mine don't like them because they don't like to be touched. Me I love, love, love them. Treat yourself or get someone to treat you for your birthday. They are worth every cent.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24354 comments Mod
I don't always like to be touched. It depends on who's doing the touching and why. As long as the masseur/masseuse isn't disgusting or inappropriate, I don't have a problem with being massaged.

Do they sanitize all their equipment after each client? Hopefully? Are there germs on that thing you put your face in when you're face down?

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 23, 2010 10:37PM) (new)

All the massages I have ever had have been particular about providing a sanitised environment. Definitely no germs where you put your face. There has never been anything remotely disgusting or inappropriate.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I've only gotten a couple but I love them.

Although, unless there was a medical/rehab reason for needing one, I wouldn't get them other than on special occasions because I would feel like it's such a waste of money.

It's like the money I spent on manicures before having a family. I couldn't fathom doing something like that now.

message 20: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Lobstergirl wrote: "I don't always like to be touched. It depends on who's doing the touching and why. As long as the masseur/masseuse isn't disgusting or inappropriate, I don't have a problem with being massaged. ..."

It is important that you feel comfortable with your massage therapist. If they try to massage your boozies...they're not a real massage therapist. Mine puts clean, hot sheets fresh out of the dryer on the table (and that face thingy) for every client, some Japanese-ish music, scented massage oil, candles and....ahhhhh.

However, it is important for you to know what kind of massage you like and tell your therapist. My best friend (who goes to the same massage therapist) loves "deep tissue" massage, like get in there with your elbow and DIG. Not me, I like it gentle, I'm fragile.

Lastly, mine charges $60 per hour. I don't know how normal that is, because I've never had a massage by anyone else (professionally). I don't even care, she's worth every penny and more. When money isn't tight, I go every two weeks.