Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Audible credit(s) -- Sept 2010

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments Since there's been interest expressed, I decided to start a thread and see how it goes!

I sprung for All the Little Live Things by Wallace Stegner. My library had its sequel The Spectator Bird via Overdrive, which I liked, but not this one. So, as Edward Hermann's narration in that one was great, I figured it'd be okay, even if I listen to the books "backwards".

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments I got William Faulkner's Light in August, inspired by another's review and also it's a work by Faulkner that I haven't read. Then I discovered Stormwarden had just been released and I snapped it up. I was enjoying the Faulkner, a dark story of abuse, racial tension, and murder; but took a break to listen to Stormwarden as I am a huge Janny Wurts fan.

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori (twizzle777) | 191 comments I can't decide what to do with my credits. Believe it or not, I didn't use mine last month, so now I have two. I have a wishlist a mile long. However, I've been running around like the proverbial chicken, and I haven't accomplished much of anything. I haven't read anything by Janny Wurts, but that one looked interesting.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments Lori wrote: "I can't decide what to do with my credits. Believe it or not, I didn't use mine last month, so now I have two. I have a wishlist a mile long. However, I've been running around like the proverbia..."

I got an email they're offering 3 books for 2 credits and I'm not eligible as I only have one, but you are! I can highly recommend Janny Wurts if you like fantasy.

message 6: by Clif (new)

Clif Hostetler (clif_) | 22 comments I sprung for The Art of War by Sun Tzu, John Minford (Translator). It's the most boring book I've ever listened to. But I had to do it because a book group I belong to is going to discuss it.

message 7: by Mary (last edited Sep 23, 2010 08:01PM) (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) | 16 comments I'm feeling pretty giddy right now. I just took advantage of the 3-for-2 credit offer and got The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, American Gods, and The Book of Night Women. I'd heard about the first two before and had them on my wishlist, but I only got the third one after listening to a sample ~ it's all in a thick 18th century slave dialect that would be difficult to read in print ~ and looking at a few reviews.

message 8: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments I'm in the two per month so I just go Ken Grimwood's "Replay" (because of someone in these goodreads audiobook topic's recommending it highly a while back) and C. W. Gortner's "The Confessions of Catherine De Medici". Haven't gotten to listening to either one yet though.

message 9: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments I get two credits as well, but of the two I was considering, one came through at my library via Overdrive (Interstate 69: The Unfinished History of the Last Great American Highway), and the other they got as a download-able ebook (The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements), where a reviewer remarked "I kind of wish I'd read it in print instead."

message 10: by Sandi (last edited Sep 23, 2010 09:18PM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I get two credit a month. In September, I used my credits to get The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements and The Way of Kings. I got an e-mail today saying that Audible put $10.00 in my account, so I applied it to On Stranger Tides. I've been wanting to read it and it's not available as an ebook. I figured $6 was a good deal for it.

John, I was the reviewer who wished she had read The Disappearing Spoon in print. I just don't think I do non-fiction well in audio.

message 11: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments Thanks, Sandi -- I felt the same way about Reading the OED: One Man, One Year, 21,730 Pages, as I loved the narration, but the (highly unusual) words flew by so fast that there was really no way to take them in!

message 12: by Janice (new)

Janice Mary wrote: "I'm feeling pretty giddy right now. I just took advantage of the 3-for-2 credit offer and got The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, American Gods, and [b..."

Mary, thanks for the lead; [book:The Book of Night Women|4682558] sounds intriguing. I am going to look for it at my library.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) | 16 comments Hey, hope you enjoy it Janice. I have no idea if it's good or not as I haven't even downloaded it yet. Maybe we can compare notes after we've listened to it. :)

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments Sandi, did you think
The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements was worth listening to in general? My husband has a degree in chemistry and I thought it might be something we'd BOTH enjoy on a long car ride (5 1/2 hrs) we're taking soon... Since I'm NOT a chemist, it sounded like it could be interesting to me, also.

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments BTW, I spent my credit on Too Fat to Fish, also for the car ride, since my hubby is a big Howard Stern fan.

message 16: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments Donna wrote: "Sandi, did you think
The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements was worth listening to in general?"

It's absolutely worth listening to. The narrator is excellent. The problem I had is that this book is just so full of information that a momentary wandering of the mind can lead to missing big chunks. I don't think I do too well with non-fiction on audio.

message 17: by Kara (last edited Sep 24, 2010 07:59PM) (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 52 comments Been wondering what to do, and then today...Woot! Just got The Way of Kings from Audible for 1 credit! I'm excited. (Hopefully for a reason...?)

Plus, I just finished Paladin of Souls, which was excellent, and I think I was still jones'ing for Kate Reading's narrating...

=)

...and hard to believe, but this will be my first Michael Kramer & well, Brandon Sanderson - I feel like such a novice for admitting that!

Oh, and

"TY Sandra aka Sleo!"

for the tip on Janny Wurts finally being on audio, been looking forward to it.

message 18: by Serena_v (new)

Serena_v | 51 comments I liked Disappearing Spoon a lot, and have no background in chemistry. I listened to parts of it in the car, with my teenager, and we both enjoyed it and found many places to pause and discuss, which was quite nice.

I just spent a credit on Little Dorrit. I wanted Brothers Karamazov, but wasn't happy with the audio samples from any of the three available in unabridged format. And sadly the snippets didn't offer much, if any, in the way of dialog, which is where the narration can easily slip from poor to intolerable for me. So I will leave that choice to another day. Maybe a day when I'm less cranky, about narrators. Ha.

message 19: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments LOL, too funny, Serena. But I know what you mean.

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments Thanks for the info, Sandy and Serena. I've put it on the wish list for now. I may use October's credit since that works out for our trip. We leave 5 days after, so now we'll have something to listen to both ways!

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments Kara wrote: "Been wondering what to do, and then today...Woot! Just got The Way of Kings from Audible for 1 credit! I'm excited. (Hopefully for a reason...?)

Plus, I just finished [book:Pala..."

Stormwarden is well worth it!

Way of Kings is also my first Sanderson, and will be my last unless something happens in the last 400 pages of this 1008 page tome that seriously changes my mind. Hope you like it, as I'm thinking my rating will probably be between 2 and 3 stars.

message 22: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 52 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Kara wrote: "Been wondering what to do, and then today...Woot! Just got The Way of Kings from Audible for 1 credit! I'm excited. (Hopefully for a reason...?)

Plus, I just finish..."

Youch! Well, at least it is just a 1 credit tome that I get to listen to while in transit and doing stained glass.

It had soo many good reviews...

I will definitely try Stormwarden though.

message 23: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I've finished the first of the seven-part download of The Way of Kings and I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments Kara wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Kara wrote: "Been wondering what to do, and then today...Woot! Just got The Way of Kings from Audible for 1 credit! I'm excited. (Hopefully for a reason....."

Well, I am in the minority as you can tell from Sandi's post.

message 25: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I do have to say that I am worried that it is the first part of a 10 part series. Will it take 10 years to finish?

message 26: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments Look at Sue Grafton and her 26-part alphabet books!

message 27: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments John wrote: "Look at Sue Grafton and her 26-part alphabet books!"

Are they 1000 pages each?

message 28: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments Not quite - LOL

message 29: by Dacia (new)

Dacia | 59 comments I've been thinking of picking up Sanderson's series, but I'm always scared of diving into new fantasy works. I've been burned on so many before, that I hate starting them through audible without trying it out through the library first.

He did a great job on The Gathering Storm though...

message 30: by Serena_v (new)

Serena_v | 51 comments I got my credits for October, but there's nothing too pressing at the moment and I'm well stocked from the library. Going to hold out for the Rick Springfield autobiography coming October 12th. Go on, mock freely, you know you want to.

I do appreciate the "coming soon" section on Audible, it lets me get way ahead on the hold list at my library. Thank you Audible!

message 31: by Serena_v (new)

Serena_v | 51 comments Shoshanapnw wrote: "Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void"

Shoshana,let us know how you like that one. It looks pretty interesting.

message 32: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments My credits don't hit until the 10th of the month, although I've got 2 left over right now. At some point I'll get Lisa Lutz's 3rd and 4th Spellman books, as my library doesn't have any of those on audio at all.

message 33: by Janny (last edited Sep 29, 2010 08:47AM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 9 comments Dacia wrote: "I've been thinking of picking up Sanderson's series, but I'm always scared of diving into new fantasy works. I've been burned on so many before, that I hate starting them through audible without t..."

Dacia, I had a quick look at your fantasy list - based on your current list and taste, I truly can't tell if you'd like the Sanderson book, or not - though based on the fact you gave 5 stars to George R.R. Martin's series, and given that it is extremely grim and even, nihilistic when it comes to the characters, you might enjoy Joe Abercrombie - many readers who are enthusiastic over Martin enjoy that twist of plot that turns on cynicism.

You also favored Narnia, and - well - Martin and Abercrombie are as far from that hopeful mythos as one can get.

If this helps - I have read two of Sanderson's earlier books (but not this one) and I'd fit those books in with others in the current popular vein, like Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series - books with an active, imaginative story line, but not immense scope or intricate depth - if this helps.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.