Pirate Romance discussion

Life (non-book talk) > Rants and other complaints

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) | 89 comments Mod
Feel free to blow off some steam! I know how hard and busy life can be sometimes. Come commiserate with us. We'll be as supportive as we can. :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 550 comments Mod
I dont know about anyone else,but there is nothing that makes me madder than when I buy a book ( and we all know they are not cheap anymore) and the cover is beautiful..hunky guy..beautiful girl..the embrace..you know those covers..you start to read..your thinking oh this is going to be good..then the guy in the book has long black hair..she has red..and on the cover..the guy has short blonde..& she has black hair! GGGRRR..I cant read it! thats it..it just spoiled it for me..and whats with the covers where the heads are chopped off?? I love the older books of the 70 & 80's..they were the best..dont the editors & author catch those boo-boo'S? when I go to buy a book now I check inside to see if they "match"..silly I know but I feel better now..

message 3: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments That it totally a major pet peeve of mine too!!! Seriously, how hard is it to make sure the hair colors on the cover match the characters???

So glad Im not alone..I actually took a book back because of it! and what is worse is seeing the same model on all of a authors books . example: I use to have all of cassie edwards books till she started putting Jon Salvato (I think thats his name)on almost every cover of her books! how can I read one book with him on it..then read another..yeah the girl is different..but he's not & its like ..he's with all these women. I just dont buy books were I start seeing the same guy on them..the older books are the best if you find them..it was art!

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) | 89 comments Mod
Haha! You two are so funny! I've never been bothered by that, but I can see why I should be!

message 6: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Ever heard of Nathan Kamp? I swear I have like 20 books with him on the cover! I agree about the older books, the covers are beautiful. I always try to by original editions with the nice cover art as opposed to the reprints.

OH the reprints are worse! I dont think anyone bothers with whats iside they just slap something on the front..with wrong hair color of course! LOL!
Nathan Kamp? dosent ring a bell..show me a book with him on it...

message 8: by SmittenKitten (last edited Sep 23, 2010 08:43PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments How about some pirate covers with him on it? :)
The Pirate Prince  by Connie Mason A Pirate of Her Own (Sea Wolves, #2) by Kinley MacGregor My Wicked Pirate  by Rona Sharon

And here's a few more for good measure...
Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5) by Kresley Cole No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #9) by Kresley Cole Master of Fire (Mageverse, #10) by Angela Knight Master of the Night (Mageverse, #2) by Angela Knight Wanted The Half-breed by Bobbi Smith Mountain Dreams by Cheryl Holt To Seduce a Texan by Georgina Gentry

YES! YES! thats the other guy! Cassie edwards now has HIM on all her books! and one day I was in the bookstore & picked up one book & he was on it then by a different author ..and there he was again..cant these editors get some new guys? come on..and whats with all the bare chest/no shirt thing?? cant they use the romantic "couple" embrace theme instead?

message 10: by SmittenKitten (last edited Sep 26, 2010 08:52PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments Sandi wrote: "and whats with all the bare chest/no shirt thing??"

Well.. I don't really have an issue with that... haha! Except for I can't read those in public! :-P

For me, the whole half naked photo of just a guy works for the paranormals, but I would much prefer an artistic picture of a couple on historicals.

Also, it really annoys me when a series changes the cover style. For example, Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark seems to have undergone 3 different transformations...

Books 1-3:
A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) by Kresley Cole

Books 4-5:
Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #5) by Kresley Cole Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #6) by Kresley Cole

Books 6-8:
Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #9) by Kresley Cole Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole

I really liked the covers on books 1-3 because an effort was made to make the cover couple look like the characters.

But, Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #9) by Kresley Cole (book 7) is my favorite cover of all of them... because it is just so freaking hot.

message 11: by SmittenKitten (last edited Sep 26, 2010 08:56PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments And another thing, I don't like it when the same cover model is used for each book in a series. I like the male cover model to be representative of the hero in the book... can't have the same guy representing all the different male heros in a series... give me variety!!

message 12: by Karla (last edited Sep 27, 2010 04:37AM) (new)

Karla (Sorry in advance for the image heavy post! And now I see that this is for non-book talk. Oh well.)
Don't get me started on older vs. newer models. Give me old school any day. Yeah, Fabio was on LOTS of covers in his day, but he didn't seem as ubiquitous as de Salvo and Kamp. I think it's the celebrity culture at play as well. Someone is noticed for something and that is translated by the TPTB as: "We want to see them all the time everywhere!" Ummm....not really. :-\

In the old days, since the covers were paintings rather than photos/Photoshop creations, there was some variety with the SAME cover model because it went through the artist's hand. The reaction is, "Hmm, I think it might be the same guy," as opposed to today's, "Oh God, him again." For example:

Tom Ferris, cover model

Tom Ferris, portrait by Elaine Gignilliat

Tom Ferris, with 'stache

Tom Ferris, no 'stache

HA-Ha! no Karla your in the RIGHT place! SmittenKitten and I are airing our peeves on book covers! I can just picture your reaction LOL!! I know you & I have talked about this before..& Im with you 100% !! the older ones ARE the best and so true when they did re-use the same model ( example your pictures)I would have to really look ...then again there was also alot more "other" stuff on the older books too that made them so attractive. now all you get is chest! not that I dont like to see a nice looking chest..but please put a head on it!?

@SmittenKitten..did you buy the books? even if it was my favorite author & the same guy was on all the books weather he was facing front.. sideways.. what ever I wouldnt buy them...its supposed to be a DIFFERENT story & a DIFFERENT character! what? theres no other good looking guys out there?? dosent an author have any say? I would if it was my book! and at least Fabio ..Rob Ashton ( my fav) didnt over do it..and that Jon Salvato ..geezz he's had blonde hair ..black hair..short ..long.. but his face has has always stayed the same!! & now he's doing the "chest" thing..do they cut his head off? NNNOOOO!!Whew...and you said karla dont get YOU going :(
Bring back the ARTISTS!!

message 14: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments @Karla - Great example, I had no idea that those were the same guy!!

@Sandi - Could you post a few pics/covers of Jon Salvato? I'm not sure exactly who that is...

message 15: by Karla (new)

Karla I was thinking that Tom Ferris was the cover model on those covers but I wasn't sure until I read something where the artist said, "It's him" so there is always that bit of doubt with the old covers. And yes, the older covers have more on them. I love Elaine Gignilliat's cover for The Taming. It has pride and passion and Scotland on the front without some huge headless waxed chest in a kilt waving a sword at me. Subtle. :-\

Karla..do remember that link you sent of this guy last time to me?? can you find & send? it has ALL his pic's

message 17: by Karla (new)

Karla There's a fansite for DeSalvo here.

Once you see him, you'll recognize him.

There's also a guy I saw on some Lovespell title who looks like The Hamster from Top Gear. Just about snarfed my soda when I saw that one.

NO his name is John Desalvo and if you go to romancecovers.us hes all over there & has his own website to drool at.

POOH..link didnt work...Im not good at this..help...Karla?

message 20: by Karla (last edited Sep 27, 2010 01:55PM) (new)

Karla Go to the romancecovers.us search page and type in "john desalvo"

And be sure to check the "model" box

Turns up 108 results.

THANKS KARLA!!

message 22: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 129 comments What a great site! And now that I've seen the pictures... yeah, apparently I own quite a few John DeSalvo covers.

You havent seen this site before? great wallpapers for your desktop!