The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate Reading List discussion

Chapter 2: Popular Fiction > Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 103 comments Loved this book, it's such a great story about friendship. I read it back in college before the movie came out and intially I was a little disappointed in the movie having just read the book. Now that it's been so long I love the movie but it definitely took me awhile get over the comparison.

message 2: by Derrick (new)

Derrick (afderrick) So is Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe is the full name? WOW thats a long name, my mom used to love this moving when I was growing up and said that any girl I ever married would be forced to watch it and Steel Magnolias since it is the epitome of southern living. Alas, I am now married and I don't think my wife has watched either, yet.

message 3: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 103 comments Yes, that's the full name-no wonder they shortened it for the movie. FGT and Steel Magnolias are both great chick flicks with substance, definitely worth watching. My husband has had to sit through both several times and doesn't actually seem to mind except for how upset I get at Steel Magnolias. You should watch them with you wife.

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire Greene | 12 comments I read this book quite a while ago now and don't remember the finer details, but i do remember that I loved the book. The feel (southern charm, quirky characters, funny and dramatic) is very similar to another author that I love - Billy Letts. She wrote Where the Heart Is (all right movie but nothing compared to the book, as usual) and Honk and Holler Opening Soon. I highly recommend both of those books as well, especially if you did enjoy Fried Green Tomatoes. As a matter of fact, I often confuse the two authors and which book was written by which author because of the very similar feel to their books, which is actually a very good comment on both authors!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (mrst_292) | 25 comments Joanie - I too had a hard time with the movie after I read the book. Both are good, and I love the movie, but I have to see the book has a better story. There are some inferences made in the movie that I thought took away from the "real" story. This is the classic book about friendship. Loved it!

message 6: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 103 comments Nicole-Are you talking about the hinting at the lesbian relationship? I thought that point was actually made stronger in the book than in the movie but it's been a long time. It's funny though because in Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man there is also some hinting at this too. I haven't made it through Fannie Flagg's most recent books to know if this is a running theme with her or if it's just her first two.

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (mrst_292) | 25 comments At the end of the movie they imply that Ninny Threadgoode (Jessica Tandy) is actually Ruth. I think this takes away from the story . . . I also saw the lesbian relationship angle, but I agree that the movie backed off of this a bit. It's been a really long time since I read the book and saw the movie, but the disappointment in the end still sticks with me. Both were exceptional if seen separately!

message 8: by Karrie Vincent (new)

Karrie Vincent | 14 comments I really like Fanny Flagg's writing style. I feel like I am transported to a laid back southern town.

message 9: by Trisha (new)

Trisha what a fun little book. I've never seen the movie, but now I can't wait. I hope they did a good adaptation. I loved the format of the Weekly newsletters (more log blogs nowadays) and then hopping around from the nursing home to the 1920's. I just loved Idgie, Ruth, and Ninny and even Evelyn.

The Complete Idiots Guide to the Ultimate...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Where the Heart Is (other topics)