Q&A with Cinda Williams Chima discussion

The Seven Realms Quartet

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,476 (2476 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 49 50

message 1: by Cinda (new)

Cinda (weirweaver) | 155 comments Mod
Have questions about characters, events, the SR world, plans for future books? This is the place.

message 2: by Sab H. (new)

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) (sabh) | 4 comments Will there only be 3 books? Or is there a possibility for more? :)

message 3: by Cinda (new)

Sab, originally, I had planned for three, but I ran out of room in 3. There will be four altogether; I am almost finished with a rough draft of 4.
Current plan:
The Demon King
The Exiled Queen
The Sword of Hanalea
The Gray Wolf Throne

message 4: by Huzzag (last edited Sep 24, 2010 12:58PM) (new)

Huzzag | 27 comments I already preordered the book to be sent along with the other 2 books in Brent Weeks The Night Angel Trilogy. Anyways, my questions were: do you know how so many people have read and reviewed the novel before it has been released? Does kindle get it sooner? When creating the world the characters exist in how much have you drawn from other contemporary author's novels? Reason I ask is because with recent fantasy novels I've read I have seen a trend of creating the main location of the first novel a place of filth, degradation and corruption.

message 5: by Cinda (new)

Huzzag, thanks, hope you enjoy.
Most early reviewers are reading what are called ARCs, or Advanced Reading Copies. They are typically distributed to reviewers, librarians, language arts teachers, bookstore owners ahead of time to stir buzz for the book, and so reviews can appear prior to or at the time of publication.
Hmmm. I think all authors build on the foundations of other literature. There are certainly many fantasy tropes and archetypes: wizards, princesses, thieves, etc. I wouldn't describe the setting for my novel as a place of filth, although there are certainly filthy places in it! But cut-throat politics and rivalries are a great catalyst for story.

message 6: by Sab H. (new)

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) (sabh) | 4 comments Thank you!! YAY 4 Books! CANNOT WAIT! :)

message 7: by Huzzag (new)

Huzzag | 27 comments Thank you for the quick response. I am rather ashamed of myself for utilizing past tense instead of present tense considering I graduated with a B.A. in English Literature. Now to continue on with the questions; After completing 3 books, do you have a favorite character in the series and has it changed as you have continued writing? After the first book I grew to appreciate Raisa because she is a refreshing powerful female written and I feel that most of the male fantasy writers I have read (which is the majority of what I read) are not very good at creating dimensions of character in their lead females. Thanks a lot for doing this, it is enjoyable to get my questions answered directly from the author.

P.S. Sorry if I offended you by saying the setting is a place of filth; obviously the castle and clan territory are described as being beautiful/majestic and half of the book did take place in those 2 locations.

message 8: by Orionglows (new)

Orionglows | 1 comments Hi, just wanted to know when "The Exiled Queen" will be available in Asia, probably in Singapore or in the Philippines. Thanks a lot.

message 9: by Cinda (new)

Huzzag: asking me to choose a favorite character is like asking me to choose a favorite son--it depends on what they've been up to, lately. I'm glad Raisa is working for you. I wanted a heroine with backbone, and I hoped readers would embrace her, with all of her flaws.
Minor characters often elbow forward, too--I like Cat a lot. And, of course, Han--I love a little ruthlessness.

message 10: by Cinda (new)

Orionglows: regarding availability in Asia, I would ask at your bookseller's. Sometimes requests will prompt a bookseller to bring a book in. I assume you are speaking of the US version.
An Indonesian publisher, Matahati, has recently purchased rights to the Heir series, but I don't know what the projected pub date is. They haven't bought the Seven Realms series as of yet.

message 11: by Amy (last edited Sep 27, 2010 07:59PM) (new)

Amy (aaammmyyy) I'm extremely excited for The Exiled Queen and will be in my local bookstore first thing afterschool tomorrow to snatch up my own copy :) So just to clarify, The Sword of Hanalea is now the 3rd book, and The Gray Wolf Throne is now the 4th book, correct? :)

Also, do you have a month/date/year for the 3rd book's release? :D

message 12: by Cinda (new)

Amy, yes, you are correct, I need to get that corrected on Goodreads. Originally, The Gray Wolf Throne was meant to be the third and last book; now it's the fourth and last book.

As to the release date, my publisher has been scheduling the books about a year apart, so imagine SOH will be out fall of 2011. I'm doing the final edits on it now.

message 13: by Arvind (new)

Arvind | 15 comments Why the Sword of Hanalea? (Ponder, Ponder)
1. But I thought it'd be nice to tell you that Amon is prevented from harming the fellsian Queen line, but that doesn't mean that marrying Raisa would hurt the line, it might be good for the line, compared to marrying Micah. I felt that that was an obvious loophole.

2. Why didn't they put similar cuffs (the magicked ones) on Dancer. Elena Demonai said she made them.

3. That leads me to my third question, Elena Demonai leads us to believe that the cuffs have been worn by every one of Alger Waterlows descendents with the Gift of magic. How did the Matriarch make them then. How old is she. Did only Han's Grandfather wear them becasue Elena made them for him. She would have to be, even at that point old enough to be a Matriarch to make and put them on Han's grandfather. Which means she is REALLY OLD, despite having suh youthful wit.

4. Han should have captured Jemson, instead of Raisa (Rebecca Morley) when she founded the Briar Rose Ministry. Even though, it was, as Han thinks and says, 'spur of the moment.' Though Jemson could have suggested that when he tried to convince Han to release her.

5. Are the cuffs a type of Talisman (like Raisa ring) or something more powerful.

6. Why didn't Demonai use similar silver cuffs though perhaps dampened to restrict other wizards magic

7. Do the cuffs still work now that they have taken them off of Han, or not (the runes have been cracked)

8. From which side does Han's Waterlow heritage descend from Mam's or his father

9. Oh here is my most beautifully correlated piece yet, This is how the Bayar's overthrew the naeming Dancer's father was concieved by a wizard. Dancer's birth overthrew the naeming, for some reason that suddenly escaped my mind as I wrote this. Sort of a fusion between Clan and Wizard. I had a really solid reason but I forgot........ OH and I think Gavan Bayar is Hayden's father.

10. Finally, why else would Micah know his name?

11. How do you pronounce Micah's name Meh-cah or My-cah

11. Why did Micah turn so evil

12. Does Amon Byrne now have a rocky friendship with Han/Cuffs (get it {handcuffs)) (wait, that's not really funny...)

message 14: by Arvind (new)

Arvind | 15 comments Answer to question one: In book
The Exiled Queen tortues Amon
Poor him

And I feel so angry that I have to wait an entire year for the Sword of Hanalea to come out when its in final editing

I loved book 2
finished it in lss thn a day
MAgic building conveyed nicely

message 15: by Cinda (new)

Arvind, thanks for the kind words. Answers to a couple of questions. For those who haven't read the series, there are spoilers here:
#2: They were able to put cuffs on Han because he was just a baby and the magic wasn't strongly developed yet. Remember, he asked whether they could put the cuffs back on if they took them off, and Elena said no, it would be impossible. Dancer's magical nature didn't manifest until he was of Naeming age.

message 16: by Tobas (last edited Oct 02, 2010 08:35PM) (new)

Tobas C. | 10 comments Do you have an ofishall date on when the 3 book comes out. i just finished the 2ed book. it was a verry good book.also why dont you try for seven books to notify the "Seven Realms" name?

message 17: by Jed (new)

Jed (hardheadjed) I was reading your blog earlier. I was wondering, how have the Star-Marked Warder's ideas and characters progressed into the Seven Realms books? What items are different? Which are similar?

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara | 2 comments I know the Q&A hasn't officially started yet, but unless I'm missing something here aren't Han and Raisa related? From the only son Hanalea had (Alister)?
Or is it so distant and diluted over time it doesn't matter?

message 19: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 12 comments cinda please update your website, and please add the sword of hanelea with a summary and cover picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also can you give an official date for the sword of hanelea?

message 20: by Arvind (new)

Arvind | 15 comments Hello, Cinda

I am (obviously) re-reading THe Exiled Queen, and looking for clues into the next book.

Just a question
Have we met Crow before?

If we have, I think he's Blevins
we haven't seen him do any magic yet.
Or maybe he's Luscius Frowsley
But how are they sapped of magic in Aediion

This is so frustrating

(Cry, Cry)

I'm usually good at piecing together clues in books
But anyway, my main question would be,
Have we met Crow outside of Aediion yet?

message 21: by Tonyb (new)

Tonyb | 2 comments Iv only read The Exiled Queen once but I'm pretty sure crow is Alger Waterlow, he was know as the Demon King, I wouldn't be surprised if he hide his essence in the jinx piece. He wanted to kill the Bayar's and said they took everything away from him, maybe he was waiting for some one that he could communicate with cause in a thousand years it seemed to me Han was the first person he talked to and he didn't know who Han was.

message 22: by Arvind (new)

Arvind | 15 comments But Waterlow doesn't work on the staff
Or maybe he does.....
Or maybe he's lying.....
either way he's not anybody in Abelard's 'crew'

message 23: by Arvind (new)

Arvind | 15 comments sorry if we're treating this like a blog

Hey!!!!
we should start a Seven Realms Quartet Blog!!!!!!

message 24: by Tobas (new)

Tobas C. | 10 comments if you are editing the sord of Hanalea do you then have the summery?

message 25: by Arvind (new)

Arvind | 15 comments I'm finishing up the Exiled Queen, for the second time
Both times, I noticed that Micah's reaction to one of Han's comments seemed inappropriate, aesthietically,
obviously, Ms. Chima being an amazing author had some reasoning for this, it'd be nice to know what
The dialougue is somewhat like this

Han- "your father killed my mother and sister, she was seven years old."

Micah- "What's your point."

Note, Micah doesn't meet Han's eyes when he says this

More stuff on Crow, who we alll love

Han finds a paper with the signature HRMAW, the AW could stand for Alger Waterlow
Also Han calls Crow a cynical cove for not believing in love. This could be an alussion to how Waterlow felt after he lost Hanalea
In fact almost all the side info given by Crow alludes to something relevant to Alger Waterlow.

PS Taim Askell said that Waterlow could have held of in his fortress indefinetely if someody on the inside didn't betray him
Who betrayed him?
Maybe Crow is the person who betrayed him and the HRM is a title of something of Waterlows
Foolish example
Hungry Rabid Monster of Alger Waterlow
Maybe I'll be right this time

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckywallace1) | 3 comments @ Arvind. Let me help you out with a few of your questions. I’m not saying that my answers are Chima-truth, but they might make your head spin a little less as you reread.

1. Raisa can’t be with Amon because, although he’s a better match than Micah, something in the magic bond makes it impossible. Does magic always make perfect sense? No. Would you want to puke every time you kissed the girl you love? Probably not.

2. They didn’t put similar cuffs on Dancer because although the Clans knew it was a possibility he could be a wizard none of his power manifested immediately. Han’s power manifested before birth, his mother almost died in labor.

3. Elena hasn’t always been the matriarch. My guess is there’s a huge line of matriarch’s who have performed the same duty for the Waterlow line and passed down the knowledge for a thousand years.

4. Han’s capture of Raisa in book one is all a result of proximity (and probably size). Jemson’s office had a desk, which he was behind. Han grabbed the closest and smallest person as he burst through the door.

5. Well the cuffs are gone now, so probably not.

6. What wizard or wizard parent is going to submit to cuffs? Honestly.

7. I’m going to venture a guess that the broken cuffs could no longer work. Although, it sounds like the Prince of Arden (and his captain Marin Karn) have some handcuffs that work similarly.

8. His father’s. It’s clearly in the text. Elena says something along the lines that “your father didn’t have the power, but his father wore the cuffs all his life.”

9. I agree Gavan Bayar is probably Dancer’s father, but I also wondered if it could have somehow [like Willow with all her Green Magic fell asleep and woke up in Aediin (sp?)] been Crow. If that’s the case, then it makes sense how Crow could have been in the “Spirits” or a place that both Willow and Crow had been.

10. Rumor

11. I’m going with My-cah.

12. It’s easy to be evil when you’re raised by evil (think Harry Potter)

13. I’m not sure I’d use the word “friendship” when discussing Amon and Han. I would say two people working toward a similar goal.

Hope that helps.

message 27: by Huzzag (last edited Oct 09, 2010 11:42AM) (new)

Huzzag | 27 comments Just to add, I assume crow is Alger Waterlow. The acronym for HRMAW (which was found on the sheet of paper) to me would make more sense as: His Royal Majesty Alger Waterlow.

message 28: by Arvind (new)

Arvind | 15 comments Refute nad Rebuttal

Huzzang

Compliments
I would never have thought of, "his royal majesty alger waterlow."

I never would think such detail in Jemson's study
But that was pretty smart of yoou

Jemson could have sugested for Han to take him
Sorry I have to go
I'll be back

message 29: by Zach (new)

Zach Ikey | 3 comments How can you think crow waterlow he's been dead for awhile right

message 30: by Zach (new)

Zach Ikey | 3 comments Is there some type of preview for the sword of hanalea

message 31: by Huzzag (new)

Huzzag | 27 comments As for why I think it is Alger Waterlow, the first time he ran into Han there was no set time for their meeting, making it seem as though he is permanently in aediion. He can't use magic of his own and has a dislike for the Bayar family. He also said it has been a long time since there has been anyone worthy of training meaning he has been stuck in Aediion for a very long time. He claims to be a teacher which I don't believe since we have not met anyone that would appear to be so against the Bayar family except for the headmistress of the Mystwerk house. He led Han to a sheet of paper written by Alger Waterlow (I believe) and he knows a lot of old magic (including how to bring other people to Aediion showing a particular knowledge on the dreamworld and how it can be utilized) that would not be common knowledge. Anyways those are my reasons and I believe Alger Waterlow trapped his spirit in Aediion so he could live on and eventually get his revenge on the Bayar family through someone else. I am most likely wrong, but those are my reasons.

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckywallace1) | 3 comments I agree with Huzzag.

message 33: by Arvind (new)

Arvind | 15 comments 10. How do you hear a rumor of a clan wizard's name in the Aerie House
In the Exiled Queen, Micah had no idea that Hayden was a wizard

3. I am going to have to go back into the book and see what that implies
8. No it is not very clear, Multiple meanings could be understood
5. Explain your answer better
you confused me again.
6. Who said anything about willingly? Welcome, Demonai Warriors!
THey could restrict the High Wizard, not fully but partially, but perhas such talismans are yet to be devised. But their power would already have manifested. But they were put on Han when his power manifested What if the High Wizard was weaker than Han now.
9. Good Thinking
12. I know, but Micah was much nicer throughout the Demon King, and some of the Exiled Queen, save the first chapter and the ending, ALL of that couldn't be acting
13. I have to agree that that sounds better, but one second they hated each other, or Amon hated Han, and the next, They were talking and discussing tactics on how to save Rebecca/Raisa
I myself am getting confused when I think about the two girls,

PS I think Chima adressed the moonspinner thing well
It was interesting to read, peculiar. If not slightly obvious. People in downrealms are so Xenophobic

message 34: by Arvind (new)

Arvind | 15 comments Alger Waterlow
Why is he such a mystery?
We have heard so little about him
REALLY, we have not.
We know his story
We know Hanalea's
But there has been no STRONG hint towards
him exisiting

Yet, I believe Crow is him.
THe power of Chima's words
It's amazing

Unfortuantely, Chima states in that the "Demon King never appears on stage." THis is for the 'trailer' for the series/book
The Triler is called
The Demon King
depending on what that relates to,
Crow may or may not be Alger Waterlow

message 35: by Zach (new)

Zach Ikey | 3 comments Is some place for reading a preview of book 3

message 36: by Nels (new)

Nels Paulson | 159 comments Is it just me or is something off.

I have a feeling that history has been warped over time here and that the real Demon King was the Bayars way back when.

We have only bits and pieces from 2nd hand sources so far, so my guess is that Bayar was betrothed to Hanalea, but Hanalea fell in love. Waterlow was willing to fight for the love, but lost due to his best friend betraying him. The victors always write history, but because of the magic damage to the world the clans got to stop the Bayars from assuming the throne. Waterlow is then crow, trapped probably by his best friend in the amulet. Waterlow wants nothing more than to seek revenge for loosing his love and has no idea that Hanalea had his children let alone twins.

Am I crazy in thinking this?

message 37: by Tobas (new)

Tobas C. | 10 comments Cinda, do you have the pic and sumery of The SOH yet?

message 38: by Richard T. Rock (new)

Richard T. Rock | 14 comments I am reading the Exiled Queen for the second time. This time I re-read the Demon King. Now reading book 2 I am wondering a few things. 1. Is crow lucius? 2. Will the bayars end up fighting eachother. 3.what role does han's amulet have in this plot. 4.will book 3 include more of the seven realms. 5 Who the hell is HRMAW?

message 39: by Arvind (new)

Arvind | 15 comments Richard
Just PS
If Chima told you all those things what's the point of reading the series
All of us, here are having fun speculating aout Crow, the Amulet, and, of course, the Bayars.
Join in
AND
I urge Ms.Chima NOT to answer those questions, save four because that would be harmless (Wonderful name ther: We'enhaven), because that would ruin everything
That would be like Christopher Paolini told us who the third Rider is (if you go to Shurtugal.com you'll see the amount of fun people have on THAT debate)

message 40: by Cinda (new)

Wow, I don't even have to do a thing, LOL!

message 41: by Cinda (new)

Ryan wrote: "cinda please update your website, and please add the sword of hanelea with a summary and cover picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also can you give an official date for the sword of hanelea?"

Hi, Ryan. I thought the title for #3 was settled, but now it's up in the air again. We're just beginning to work on art for the cover. As soon as I have something definite, I'll post it to the site.

message 42: by Cinda (new)

Tobas wrote: "Do you have an ofishall date on when the 3 book comes out. i just finished the 2ed book. it was a verry good book.also why dont you try for seven books to notify the "Seven Realms" name?"

I don't have the official date yet; it'll be September-October, 2011.
Re 7 books for Seven Realms, you're not the only one to suggest that! But I don't want to have a series that goes on and on without a break!

message 43: by Cinda (new)

Tobas wrote: "if you are editing the sord of Hanalea do you then have the summery?"

We don't have the official jacket-flap summary yet. I guess I would describe it as "rapid-fire."

message 44: by Cinda (new)

Jed wrote: "I was reading your blog earlier. I was wondering, how have the Star-Marked Warder's ideas and characters progressed into the Seven Realms books? What items are different? Which are similar?"
Actually, the Seven Realms series is a prequel to the Star-Marked Warder. I took two characters (Han and Raisa) back to when they met. The world and conflicts are basically the same as background. But there are new antagonists/characters and conflicts in SMW.

message 45: by Cinda (new)

Arvind wrote: "Alger Waterlow
Why is he such a mystery?
We have heard so little about him
REALLY, we have not.
We know his story
We know Hanalea's
But there has been no STRONG hint towards
him exisiting

..."

Becky wrote: "@ Arvind. Let me help you out with a few of your questions. I’m not saying that my answers are Chima-truth, but they might make your head spin a little less as you reread.

1. Raisa can’t be w..."

Arvind wrote: "Why the Sword of Hanalea? (Ponder, Ponder)
1. But I thought it'd be nice to tell you that Amon is prevented from harming the fellsian Queen line, but that doesn't mean that marrying Raisa would hu..."

Arvind, still trying to catch up with your questions!

Good job, Becky, BTW!!
Elena didn't make all of the cuffs; there were other flashcrafters through the ages who did.

Arvind: The Demon King never appears onstage--in The Demon King.

message 46: by Cinda (new)

Everyone, many of these questions will be answered within the first few chapters of Book #3 (which will have a final name by week's end, I fervently hope!

Micah is pronounced Mye-kuh.

message 47: by Cinda (new)

And GREAT discussion, BTW! Thank you!

message 48: by Pearson (new)

Pearson | 6 comments when han depletes his magic it says he felt something in his middsection that means his magic is coming back so theres magic in him so why does he have to hold the amulet to say a charm when theres magic in him

message 49: by Cinda (new)

Pearson, The magical energy emitted by wizards accumulates and concentrates in their amulets. That's the only way they can collect enough to do meaningful magic. Otherwise it just leaks away constantly, especially in the untrained.

message 50: by Pearson (new)

Pearson | 6 comments does crow ever get rementioned in the series

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 49 50