Sweeping Sagas discussion

Buddy Read: The Enchantress Saga

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 478 comments Mod
It seems Sandi and I are both starting this today so I am presuming to start a thread so us gals can chat. Spoilers may be ahoy.

Sandi, best thing in buddy reads is to note the page you're on so you/I know where the other is when discussing.

Hope that makes sense, been a long day :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess since the word Saga is actually in the title, it is indeed a saga. ;p

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Michele wrote: "I guess since the word Saga is actually in the title, it is indeed a saga. ;p"

Considering it's a 900 page HB it darn well better be a saga.

message 4: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Sep 23, 2010 04:34PM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Misfit wrote: "It seems Sandi and I are both starting this today so I am presuming to start a thread so us gals can chat. Spoilers may be ahoy.

Sandi, best thing in buddy reads is to note the page you're on so..."

Do I do that here or in my "currently reading update?

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Either or. Buddy reads is a good way to discuss events in a book in greater detail, and spoilers can be discussed more freely - although I recommend clicking the button so comments don't go to your *feeds*.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I got side tracked tonight watching the Tudors..so Im still around page 55..Analee has just left the Driver family..nice family ya got there bud..I wonder what will become of Nelly..and it seems our Analee has some sort of past? I like the mystery surounding her.. should be interesting to see how these men enter into the scene..

message 7: by Misfit (new)

I'm on page 98, will probably nod off in the next hour or so. Analee definitely has a past, but the Driver family will be history soon, but she'll find herself in another pickle.

Some of the gypsy stuff is wearing thin (you'll know what I mean when you get there), but there's probably a purpose later on. At least I hope so.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Well Im only at page 68..book kept falling of the treadmill..so what a brother George is! "there are many women in London mother,who would consider it a honor to have me ask for their hand" PHHFFTT...what an Ass! then toss the family out..Im sure there is more to come with him. So now Im at the part were she finished dancing & turns to come face with Brent...I hope to get further tonight..got the popcorn ready..

message 9: by Misfit (new)

Well, her evening with Brent sure come to an unusual conclusion. I'm a bit further ahead, Brent's got himself a new career that gives him a handy to Bonnie Prince Charlie sideline.

Yes, George is an ass.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Sandi, when you hit the events around page 200 will you check in? I'd like to discuss my feelings over that.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Will do..Im not as fast..sorry...hoping to get more in today.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Page 104..Brent recovers from his attack from Randal..he now remembers nothing of his night with Analee. He is now recovering in the care of his cousin Mary.."Brett's heart beat a little faster at the sight of her ankle"...umm dosent take much with this fella memory lost or not. Does that dark cloud that passed over the sun predict to Mary she is about to make a mistake?

Page 125..ah..now the plot thickens..Brent agrees to work for Ambrose..who has no love for the Delamain's nor the Allonby's..revenge coming for George? starting to get interesting.

Starting page 128..back to Analee..lets see what she's been up to...

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Oh I'm way ahead of you. I'm just starting on book two. Some interesting twists ahead and I think the latter half improves a lot.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Good..I was having trouble at the first..seemed to me a lot of sentences were being repeated? the other characters are keeping me in..Analee I was expecting a little more..I dont know..spark? seems to give in & accept her lot too easy..what do you think?

message 15: by Misfit (new)

I thought the same, and I was getting very tired of the barefoot and sleep in the outdoors even in the dead of winter and I'll be a gypsy at heart until the bitter end. *Someone* changes her mind on all that. This was a 3.5 but book #2 promises to be much more interesting so I guess you have to look at the whole of it.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) umm..I hope so...it seems at some points in the book its really good..then all of a sudden ..huh? who's this? so I go back some pages to re-read..I feel like Im missing something or my attention wanders..cause the story/characters do..maybe Im just tierd...so Im putting it down for tonight.

message 17: by Misfit (new)

Sandi wrote: "umm..I hope so...it seems at some points in the book its really good..then all of a sudden ..huh? who's this? so I go back some pages to re-read..I feel like Im missing something or my attention wa..."

Interesting, I was doing the same thing, but not uncommon during mid-week reading. That said, I'm not too fond of some the twists that have just taken place. Time will tell.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) OK...just finished the part where Analee wished Reyora had left her knife so she could plunge it in her breast and kill herself..I found this part & the whole giving birth scene rather disturbing..please..things that bad you want to kill yourself & a child? and the whinning she went on & on...she'd already had one before she knew what to expect. I guess I just didnt care for how she was portrayed in this part. I hope she gets better.. I dont know..is it only me?

message 19: by Misfit (new)

Yeah, she's a bit OTT on the melodrama there. Perhaps we're not attuned into the gypsy mindset, but it was wearing thin. You do get less of it after she marries -------, but it still comes into play here and there.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Ok Ive passed page 200...now Im not good at times remembering.."who's throned..who's de-throned..& who's over-throned..and sometimes war politics fly over my head..but on page 200 is Mary's "history lesson" to Analee correct? or was it just me who missed something? oh..and what a surprise they show up at of all places..the Allonby's! AHHH I hope that----- dosent mean the "little black cloud is for Mary..Im rooting for her....

message 21: by Misfit (new)

I think the historiy is reasonably close, but then outside of Gabaldon I haven't read much on this period.

You don't want to know about Mary.

I am very very ticked right now about Lord Falcon and why Analee keeps on forgiving him. Argh.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) AHH..no way!..I could just kick Brent in the @!#* his feelings just go back to "sisterly for Mary?..well I guess by were you are Analee is not with him..getting to be a bloomin soap opera! and she's just leaving her "enchantment" all over ....

message 23: by Misfit (last edited Sep 27, 2010 12:09PM) (new)

Page 633. The book just flew and I may not pick it up again.

message 24: by Misfit (new)

Sandi, bail. Things are going downhill very fast.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) You know Misfit..I had a feeling..and you get a gold star for hanging in that far..and for being honest enough & kind enough to let me suffer no more..Oh please give this a review..you go girl! AH..one less dent for the wall..(would have made a big one!)

message 26: by Misfit (new)

Sandi, you have no idea what kind of a dent and be glad you missed the nose picking scene.

****spoilers***

I'm almost done and I've come this far I might as well finish. Her husband has just become the baddest of the bad wife beaters of all time. Plus a bigamist. She's about to find that out shortly....

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) LOL!!! oh my god did I just LOL!!!!Oh please Misfit do this book justice in your review!!!

it wasnt Analee who did the picking?? please no..

message 28: by Misfit (new)

Sandi wrote: "LOL!!! oh my god did I just LOL!!!!Oh please Misfit do this book justice in your review!!!

it wasnt Analee who did the picking?? please no.."

No, it was that Ambrose dude married to one of the sisters, the merchant. You missed the quote in my update I take it. He ate it too. What a cheap lazy way to make a character tacky and lower class.

******SPOILER*****

Almost done. OK, so this Falcon who seemed charming at the first turned out to be quite the jealous abuser. Raped her and almost strangled her to death.

She forgives him.

Womanizes all over the place, even gets caught in the act with her legitimate half sister (she was a virgin and he seduced her).

She forgives him, she loves him.

Gets angry again at her and breaks her arm and banishes her to the country so he can court his latest virgin.

He goes to Europe on campaign and sneaks the virgin in and pretends he's divorced and marries her bigamously. He gets slight just desserts as it turns out she loathes the act. Gets her pregnant and then is mortally wounded in battle. Has them carry him home to die beside Analee. She finds out after he's dead about his bigamous activities.

OK, so after all that, what do I find on page #870?

"But in her heart she did not really wish to see Brent. She had buried the Falcon, but not her love for him and, for the forseeable future, she was content to emgrace the long years of exile and widowhood."

WTF is up with that? A bad case of abused woman syndrom or whatever the hell they call it?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) OMG..thank-you for sparing me reading such garbage..I was struggling as it was with Analee"s character ..but if I had gotten to the Falcon part...more than a dent to the wall would have happened..did someone not edit this book? how can an author write such abusive crap...

message 30: by Misfit (new)

Sandi wrote: "OMG..thank-you for sparing me reading such garbage..I was struggling as it was with Analee"s character ..but if I had gotten to the Falcon part...more than a dent to the wall would have happened....."

Yeah, but that was more the norm back in the *older days* - Karla and Jeanine can attest to that. Still, once he was dead...

But if you're going to do it, the writing had better be damned good or at least give me enough cheese to make up for crappy story and writing :p

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I dont know Misfit...Im from the "older-days" and I dont ever recall a book with that kind of abuse in it.
Or was lucky to miss them..I dont how you could finish it. crapola!!