Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Urban Fantasy with Male Protagonists

Comments Showing 1-50 of 194 (194 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Charlie Huston has a vamp series starring Joe Pitt, Vampire PI. It's a supernatural NYC with vamps calling the shots in different areas. Huston is one of my favorite writers. He has a suspense trilogy that is excellent as well. The first Joe Pitt novel is called Already Dead. I have read the Rob Thurman series with Cal and his brother and loved those. If you liked those, I'm sure you'd like Huston's stuff.

message 2: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I picked up the Anton Strout book "Dead to Me" and the first chapter was decent enough for me to buy it. The cover of the guy protagonist, he's hot!

message 3: by Jamie (last edited Jul 10, 2008 03:25PM) (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 4 comments I like Charlie Huston's books very much, but you might want to be warned that they are very violent. They remind me of a Tarantino movie. And vampirism is given a scientfic cause, so they are just barely fantasy.

I like P.N. Elrod's Vampire Files series. They're set in prohibition-era Chicago, about a brand new vampire who becomes friends with a private detective. In the first book he's trying to solve the mystery of his own murder.

Tanya Huff's excellent Blood series has a female protagonist but they're told partially from two male points of view: that of Henry Fitzroy, a 400-yr-old vampire living in Toronto, and that of a human police detective. These aren't romance, but there is a very interesting love triangle in this series. And the spin-off series has a male protagonist.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Regarding the violence in Huston's books-that is why I mentioned that if you liked Rob Thurman's books, you would like these. I think they are equal in the amount of kicking butt first and taking names second. They are dark like Thurman's books.

message 5: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Suzann, he does a little but I think he's cuter than Nathan Fillion (I had to imdb.com him, lol).

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Suzann - I subscribe to the the Buffy Season 8 comic through a comic website. I love Buffy that much that I'm a grown woman, mother of three and I subscribe to a comic book series. I actually had my husband get a larger mailbox because the mail lady kept bending my comic every month! I like the comics but I've been a bit shocked at the direction he went. It's certaintly not as good as watching it on tv, but it will do. I can almost hear the actors voices when I read the comics so it's good enough.

message 7: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I'm not really a Buffy fan but I do like Spike and I did watch a season of the show. I think it was the one right before they killed her out instead of Dawnn getting killed. I watched it every now and then so I know about Angel and her getting to gether and then her and Spike hooking up but I never watched it faithfully. But thanks for the recommendations!! =)

message 8: by Sayuri_x (last edited Jul 13, 2008 02:39PM) (new)

Sayuri_x | 6 comments I have to second Charlie Huston recommendation. I read all three books at the beginning of this year and nearly cried when I realised I would have to wait a YEAR for the next installment.

If you are looking for new UF with male protagonists try Mike Carey's Felix Castor series. I really haven't got enough good things to say about these books. I love them. Starts with 'The Devil You Know'.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (smileyhair) I have read 3 Charlie Huston books... The "Joe Pitt" novels, however, I heard that if you go to Amazons UK website, that there is 3 MORE Joe Pitt books....

I have yet to order them because I heard it was expensive...

I also just started reading "The Devil you Know" by Mike Carey. I'll let you know how it is! ;-)

Heather

message 10: by Sayuri_x (last edited Jul 13, 2008 05:43PM) (new)

Sayuri_x | 6 comments No, I'm pretty sure there just the 3 Joe Pitt novels published here in the UK.

Charlie Huston does have some other titles but they aren't JP novels. His next Joe Pitt novel isn't out until Jan 2009.

I wouldn't want you to order something then be disappointed Heather.

Edit: Man, I went and checked out Amazon uk & US and now I am sick with jealousy because Joe Pitt 4 'Every Last Drop' is being released 30 Sep in the US while we have to waiy until friggin' MARCH 2009 in the UK! I think there may be an e-book purchase that week! *grin*

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (smileyhair) Oh- good to know! I guess I was misinformed! I wonder why they release books at different times in the US and the UK... doesnt really make sense to me! ;-) I wouldnt wait til March either... get the e-book!! :-)

Heather

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 32 comments Why would they be released at different times in different countries? Why have multiple release dates? Thant makes no sense. I wonder what the reasoning is behind this?

message 13: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Did anybody mention "Staked" by J.F. Lewis? There's a vampire named Eric in it and he's hilarious. I really want others to read this book cuz I loved it and can't wait for the sequel.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) I put it on my list when I saw it on yours, Ranata. ;) I haven't read it yet though.

message 15: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb Added on my "To Read" list =)

message 16: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Cool, Jess. I think you and Phoebebb will love it as much as I do. There's action but the author is good at taming it down without being so blunt about what kinda position they are in, LOL. I loved Eric. Any vampires named Eric are friends of mine!

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Have you read all of Anne Rice's vampire books? I know they are old but if you haven't read them, I'd give them a try.

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I think I lost interest after the first 4 too! I read them so long ago that it's hard to remember.

message 19: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I tried Interview with the Vampire but I couldn't get into it. I think it was the long winded periods of him talking that bothered me. i've read one book by her but it wasn't about vampires. It was the one about Ramses the Damned. It was The Mummy. Read it when I was in 10th grade.

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) I didn't enjoy Interview either (didn't finish it). In fact, the only Anne Rice I managed to get through was Exit to Eden. Heh.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Exit to Eden...now that was one steamy book! I think maybe the reason I liked her vampire books was because I read them when they first came out....32 years ago! There wasn't a lot of stuff like that on the market then. I'd read my fair share of bodice rippers and her books were something so different that I found them intoxicating. I was kind of a strange teenager when I was 16 & 17 years old. I was really into metaphysics and loved strange and spooky stuff. I used to freak people out with a parlor trick I learned and lots of kids thought I was a witch. I didn't bother to set them straight :)

message 22: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb I think Anne Rice is a horrible writer and that is why I cannot read any of her books. I don’t mean horrible as in her stories are bad (I love Interview with the Vampire … the movie), I mean her writing style is horrible. He said this, and then the other guy said that and then they did this; awful. I tried reading Interview with the Vampire after I saw the movie and I couldn’t get past the first chapter because I couldn’t stand the way she wrote. Anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I TOTALLY agree with you Phoebebb! My husband has read all of the Anne Rice books and I keep telling him that he needs to read other books in this genre because he just doesn't know what he's missing! I can't stand her writing at all and I seriously think her books are why my husband doesn't like to read much. He read this series because of the vamps and I believe they are good storylines. I just think there are a ton of better writers out there.

message 24: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb Oh he definitely needs to read more books in the urban fantasy genre! There are so many great books out there that would blow his opinion of Rice out of the water. Keep working on him until you get your way; ha ha.

message 25: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinemusk) | 3 comments Hi Suzann -- I had the same experience with the Anne Rice books -- I really loved the first four (Interview, Vamp L.,Queen, Body Thief) and then she just lost me with the fifth (was that M. the Devil?) and now I don't even bother picking up the books to read the jacket copy...but those first four were a big influence on me (and one of the reasons why I *didn't* write a vampire novel, because I figured, after Rice, what was left to do with vampires that people would still be interested in reading? and then along comes Laurell K. and a whole vamp genre. So much for my ability to predict the market...)

My own dark-urban-fantasy books (Bloodangel, Lord of Bones) have multiple POVs, all of them male except for one (the female protagonist), and it turns out to be the male perspectives I really enjoy writing from. Go figure.

message 26: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb Wow Justine all of your books sound really good. So is Bloodangel the first in the series and then Lord of Bones is the sequel? Or are they both completely separate books?

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 8 comments Turning point is the sequel. I haven't read it yet, but I enjoyed Blood Angel.

message 28: by S.D. (new)

S.D. | 6 comments Have you tried the Nightside series by Simon R Green or F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series? I'm a big fan of both.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 15 comments Anyone else interested in seeing what Kelly Armstrong does with her 'Men of Otherworld' collection coming out later this year?

message 30: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Michlon, it is my understanding that most of the stories in Men of the Otherworld are the short stories that Kelley Armstrong has posted over the years on her website. I think there might be 1-2 (?) that haven't been on her site at some point, but most of them have been around for awhile.

I'm planning on buying the book when it comes out on January 27, 2009 (per Amazon.com) if for no other reason than to keep my collection complete.

message 31: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 13 comments The first Men of the Otherworld comes out Feb 2009. She is starting with Clayton's childhood and Jeremy "adopting" him.

The short stories, Otherworld Tales, that she has on her website intertwine with the series. There are 12 and you can download them for free.

Here is the website:

http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/aOT05.htm

I'm excited about this upcoming book.

message 32: by Anton Strout (new)

Anton Strout | 21 comments I keep thinking he looks like Jerry O'Connell from Sliders... apparently they couldn't get the same model back for book 2, Deader Still, so he looks a little different on it.

I'll definitely take the Nathan Fillian avenue too.. hehe...

message 33: by Bonny (new)

Bonny | 1 comments Try the Felix Castor series by Mike Carey. He has 3 out in the UK, but only two out here. I ordered the British third one since I didn't want to wait. They are a different take, with a different type of character. Felix is a modern day exorcist at a time when the dead have all decided to come back in various forms. They are 'The Devil You Know'; 'Vicious Circle' and 'Dead Man's Boots'.

Btw, I'm new to the group. Hello everyone!

message 34: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb I bought the first one but I haven't had time to read it yet.

message 35: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (liserla) Has anyone read the Melusine series by Sarah Monette?! They are INCREDIBLE! Felix Harrowgate is the main character in a book full of fully developed characters, rich descriptions and a fast-paced plot.

message 36: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Anybody heard of Fat White Vampire Blues by Andrew Fox? The protog is a male vampire that is fat. LOL. Sounds interesting so I added it to my TBR pile. It rocks finding all these websites and picking up book ideas.

message 37: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Oh yeah, and Simon Canderous of Dead to Me by Anton Strout was decent. Wasn't great but I will read the newest book coming out called Deader Still when it's out cuz Simon is so likeable. He's a cutie!

message 38: by Anton Strout (new)

Anton Strout | 21 comments I can live with that...

message 39: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) LOL. Glad you can! Thanks for the hot guy on the front.

Simon is really a nice relatable guy with an "affliction". And speaking of, I've seen the new cover....when will you add it to Good Reads? I like that one better than the first.

message 40: by Anton Strout (new)

Anton Strout | 21 comments I think once it gets added by the Penguin art department to Amazon, then it populates out to Good Reads.

And I only know that because I work at a day job for them...

message 41: by new_user (last edited Sep 05, 2008 08:54AM) (new)

new_user You can actually edit the book's data since you're on GR, Anton. :) Otherwise I would just go ahead and do it for you and add your site, second book cover and synopsis, etc., but the librarians are not allowed to fiddle with it, lol.

message 42: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 55 comments Mike Carey's books are great, Simon R. Green's Nightside series is fun (not great literature, but fun), and Rob Thurman's Nightlife series is very good. And I want to know if Bonny will lend me the third Carey/Felix book - I thought about ordering from the UK, too! I've gotten a few from Australia when I couldn't wait before.

message 43: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 19 comments Christopher Moore has some funny, twisted, sometimes gruesome fantasy with strong male characters. I think You Suck might be from a mostly male perspective, but it's been a while since I read it. Moore and Terry Pratchett are my favorites for laugh-out-loud fantasy.

message 44: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I'm so gald you mentioned him Anita! Christopher Moore is great. I plan on reading everything of his that I can get my hands on.

Bloodsucking Fiends should be read before You Suck A Love Story. The first book is told mostly from the female protagonist point of view and Anita is correct, the second book is mostly told from the male protagonist view. These books are hilarious and original. I laughed so hard I cried and would recommend them to everyone.

message 45: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments More than Moore's Bloodsucking Fiends, read Dirty Job. Also Practical Demonkeeping, Island of the Love Nun, Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, and The Stupidest Angel.

Start with Dirty Job. You'll cry with laughter.

message 46: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Yes, Dirty Job is excellent!

Sorry if I missed it in a past post but American Gods by Gaiman has a male protagonist. One of my favorites.

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 169 comments its funny, Jennifer, I LIKEd the nightside books because they were so cliched. It was like they make fun of themselves almost. I love the dark feel they have. And the whole tiem I'm reading them I keep hearing the classic detective music & monologue in my head. haha

Of course, any Dresden books is superior in every way (imo) to Green's Nightside.

message 48: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitaw) | 19 comments I feel kind of stupid - I only realized today that Rob Thurman is a female writer. There really aren't that many men writing in this genre, are there?

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 113 comments I had her on my list of male writers for a quite a while as well - so it's not just you. ;)

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited May 19, 2009 06:28AM) (new)

Just chiming in to praise the excellence of Charlie Huston. Jim Butcher reads kind of like a Raymond Chandler novel but Charlie Huston is the real deal. 'Already Dead' is a hard-boiled detective novel about vampires in New York and everything about the setting and characters is meticulously well-drawn. Someone drew a comparison with Tarantino. There's common ground between Tarantino and Huston since they're both influenced by hard-boiled tradition but I don't think the comparison does Huston justice. Whereas Tarantino's movies are built on hommage and pastiche, 'Already Dead' is a complete reimagining of the detective novel. It's climax is brutal, ugly and entirely fitting for a noir story.

Read it, read it, read it, read it.

« previous 1 3 4