Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Audible audiobook to kindle?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments I joined Audible and have been listening to my books from my Ipod. I recently got a new K3 Kindle and thought it might be nice to have the choice of having all my books on one device for when I'm traveling, etc, (The kindle has an earphone jack as well as speakers.)

So far, I can't figure out how to accomplish this.... has anyone here successfully done this? I'd appreciate any tips you can give me. Thanks!

message 2: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments I believe there are instructions at Audible.com if you click "help" and enter "Kindle" as a query term.

message 3: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments I've never tried it but I would imagine you would do it through Audible Manager and just select Kindle as your new device.

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments Thanks for the replies, John and Grumpus. I did try what both of you suggested with no luck. I'll try again in case I did something wrong.

i just wondered if anyone had done this successfully after originally setting up their Audible to download to another device first. (In my case, an Ipod.)

message 5: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments In that case, I'd contact Audible customer service, explaining clearly the problem you've encountered.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) | 16 comments I think I did, but it was a couple of months ago and I don't recall how I did it. I think the instructions are in the Kindle manual, though.

message 7: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments I have called Audible customer service a few times over the years and my experience has been wonderful. They'll get it solved for you without a doubt.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely call them if I can't get it to work this time.

BTW, I just got a new K3 kindle and it downloaded my audiobooks automatically with my archived library. How cool is that? Unfortunately, my problem is with my K2. (I was hoping to be able to loan it out to my daughter, as well as use it for times when I don't want to risk the k3 - like while in bathtub, etc.)

Anyway, thanks again.

message 9: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments Please let us know when you get your issue solved. I do want to warn you that my Sony e-reader plays mp3 files, which I use for podcasts only, as audio really drains the battery fast!

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments Wow, John... thanks for the tip! I may reconsider transfering the audiobooks to my kindle after all. I've been listening on my Ipod and that works fine. Just thought it might my nice to have one less device to carry with me on trips, etc.

You just put a whole new light on the matter! I'm not sure I want to put a drain on the battery by playing audio on my kindle! I'm not into putting music on them since I like to read with no distracting noises around - the better to immerse myself in the story. I'm so glad you told me..... thanks!!!

message 11: by John, Moderator (last edited Sep 24, 2010 10:46AM) (new)

John | 3724 comments I found this from Googling:

"The battery will last for approximately 4 to 5 hours while playing Audible audio content.

The battery life of the Amazon Kindle will last for approximately 4 to 5 hours while playing Audible audio content. It drains about 1/4 of the battery when listening to Audible audio content for one hour."

That's about the same as my Sony goes through.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) | 16 comments Fortunately the iPod isn't big or heavy. I carry it with me always, as well as the Kindle. I found it a bit unwieldy when listening to the one audiobook on the K2.

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments John wrote: "I found this from Googling:

"The battery will last for approximately 4 to 5 hours while playing Audible audio content.

The battery life of the Amazon Kindle will last for approximately 4 to 5 hou..."

Ok, now I'm convinced! No audible on my kindles! Thanks again, John.

Mary, I agree... I guess I'll continue to carry both (and I DO find Ipod better when I'm mobile), but I have to say, my purses are getting bigger! ;)

message 14: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments I would urge you to consider adding some podcasts or short stories to your kindle, for those times when you're not getting into a print book, or you just don't feel like reading.

My mp3 player (books, not music) fits in my shirt pocket, and my e-reader fits in my jacket. (Geeknerdy enough?)

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments My mp3 player (books, not music) fits in my shirt pocket, and my e-reader fits in my jacket. (Geeknerdy enough?)

It takes one to know one, John!

I do have my audiobooks and podcasts, as well as TV shows and movies, on my Ipod, along with music.... I am a rolling entertainment center!!! lol

message 16: by Dacia (new)

Dacia | 59 comments Ok, so here's a question for all of you technofiles. For the last three years (since I've been an audible member), I've been using an ipod shuffle for my audible content. It's cheap (around $70 bucks) and while I've had to change out headphones often because I really beat them up, the player has done great. It holds 2 Gigs, which is plenty for me to have about a dozen stories on the iPod at once, so I'm happy enough with that.
I have also really wanted a Kindle since they first came out, but I wasn't ready to shell out $300. Now that they're getting down in price, I've thought about purchasing one. However, I've been told this is a bad idea because they're going to be phased out pretty soon, and that I should just get an iPhone (ugh - hate to do this because of the monthly fee) or an iPod touch instead.

What do you guys think?

message 17: by Stef (new)

Stef (firecat) | 43 comments Dacia, I just got an iPod Touch. Apple recently upgraded it to a higher resolution screen. Text is clear and easy to read, but the screen is pretty small compared to the size of a book page, and I'm not sure I will be able to get used to reading for long stretches on it.

The iPods/iPhones use an LCD screen whereas the Kindle and many other e-readers use e-ink. There's a big difference so you might want to check them both out and see which you prefer.

The least expensive iPod Touch is $229. If you don't mind carrying two devices, you could keep your shuffle and buy a dedicated e-reader. That way you could have your choice of e-readers instead of limiting yourself to the ones supported by Audible. The e-readers are really dropping in price so you might even be able to save a few bucks by doing it that way.

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments Dacia, I just got the new kindle for $139... I love it! I find it easier to read than a real book! Believe me, they will not be phased out! Your source may have meant the kindle2, but now the k3 is out and that's much cheaper at $139. I heartily recommend it.

AS for the Ipod, why spend extra money, if you're happy with your audiobooks now? (BTW, I'm always playing around trying new headphones... I found a great pair for $10.)

For what it's worth, I did just read an article that the Ipad may be coming out with a new, cheaper model by spring. I may check it out then, but I'm not spending the $499 they want now!

message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna | 36 comments I was told the kindles are now being sold at Target, if you'd like to see them...

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) | 16 comments I heard the new K3 for $139 is at Staples too! I believe they're also being sold at Best Buy. Pretty soon they'll be available at your neighborhood supermarkets. lol

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda J (lajacobs) | 42 comments Dacia wrote: "Ok, so here's a question for all of you technofiles. For the last three years (since I've been an audible member), I've been using an ipod shuffle for my audible content. It's cheap (around $70 b..."

I have an iPod Touch and the loan of a Kindle. It has taken me awhile to get into the Kindle but have settled on it as my "nightstand" book. I do like the way it feels and it is so light it doesn't break my nose when I fall asleep and drop it (grin). Because it is not backlit I don't get eyestrain at all.

I like the iPod Touch because I can stay active and still get my story fix. I have all my music, tons of podcasts, and about 5 books on it at any given time. It is not cheap but I feel I get my money's worth out of it as it is in use every single day. It accesses wifi so it is also a terrific little tiny computer. I don't even take my netbook with me anymore - the iPod touch is fine for net access anywhere wifi is available. If it only had a camera I'd be all set - the new ones do. (Nope don't want an iPhone - hate cell phones in general.)

While I like the iPad, I think it is way too heavy to use for a reader, and the reflective backlit screen is problematic because of eyestrain.

I'm thinking of getting the $139 wifi Kindle since I need to return the loaner at some point. I think a Shuffle and the Kindle3 would be a great and cost effective combo for reading.

Sorry for being so long-winded.

Linda

message 22: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 11 comments Since I've been considering buying a Kindle (I was convinced, but wavered after learning that the audio books was similar to the voices on a GPS), I appreciate the discussions on the Kindles. The $139 price tag is appealing. My drawback now is that most of my books are ones I check out at no cost from the library so I hate having to pay to read books that would otherwise be available free.

message 23: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments For downloadable library books, you might consider the Sony PRS-350 @ $179.

message 24: by Mary (last edited Oct 10, 2010 10:34AM) (new)

Mary (mary_kontrary) | 16 comments Shirley ~ When you listen to an audiobook on a Kindle, the voices are exactly the same as they are on the iPod, i.e., they are the same voices that are on the CDs. The GPS-sounding voice to which you referred is a feature that lets you listen to a "print" or Kindle version of a book you are reading. Like, if you were reading a book on the Kindle and got to a really exciting part but, say, you had to stop for a minute to do something else, you could choose that feature and the Kindle would continue reading to you (in that GPS voice) until you could go back to reading it yourself. When you use that feature, the pages "turn" as the voice reads the text. It's not something I use very often, but it's nice to know its available (though the GPS voice makes some pretty funny mispronunciations sometimes).

message 25: by Brycen (new)

Brycen (melisandes) Just a thought. It depends on you but when it comes to me: I am an audiobook horder. I have to keep all my audiobooks loaded at all times and that is a lot of stuff so my audio books have to go onto my ipod.

B

message 26: by Carol (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) John wrote: "For downloadable library books, you might consider the Sony PRS-350 @ $179."

John, I want to get an ebook reader to download library books. The Kindle isn't compatible with my libary. Barnes and Noble will only sell their nook to people living in the US or Canada. Have you, by any chance, heard of people using the Sony PRS-350 overseas?

message 27: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3724 comments Yes -- I just heard it was priced at something like 150 euros at the Sony store in Dublin.

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) John wrote: "Yes -- I just heard it was priced at something like 150 euros at the Sony store in Dublin."

Thanks John, that's good news for me (though I'm not in Dublin, at least I know now it can probably be used overseas). I'm still considering my options.