Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Archived/Extinct Discussions > Why Can The Heroine Calm Down The Hero?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 4161 comments Mod
I know that we have all read books, where the hero has seen red and the heroine was the only one that could calm him down. Why do you think that she can do that?

I'm not talking about sex.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9737 comments Mod
She is his other half, his peace. She makes him calm by her steadfast, unconditional love for him. Sometimes it's because she makes him want to be a better man.

message 3: by Arch (last edited Sep 22, 2010 07:32AM) (new)

I like reading scenes like this, especially when it's dosed with tension.

message 4: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments Ditto Lady Danielle. His true mate will/can make him a better man.

I love how KMM's Adam Black gave up this immortal Fae Prince status to become a normal mortal man for his Gabrielle. **Sigh**

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Sep 22, 2010 08:52AM) (new)

That was very romantic how Adam stepped away from his fae heritage for Gabrielle, Wan.

Arch, those make for great scenes!

message 6: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
I love reading the ones where the hero gives something up for the heroine. Or at least is willing to give it up. **sigh**

message 7: by Arch (new)

Yeah Danielle, they make for great scenes.

Pamela, I think every hero gives up something for the heroine.

message 8: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments I wish we had a like button. I liked so many of your comments, but there was no way to show it. Needless to say I too love the tense, sometimes violent moments when the heorine pulls the hero back from the brink with only a soft touch. sigh That is pretty dreammy.

message 9: by Arch (new)

I love writing those kind of scenes CeCe.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 474 comments I think in those kind of books, the heroine sees something in the hero that no one else does, including the hero, and by doing this wakes up some kid of gentleness/conscience so that they aren't quite as ruthless anymore and they have more to live and more to lose then they did before. And when they are in a tense/violent situation the heroine reminds him of that, thus calming him down and making him think. Atleast that has always been my interpratation anyways!

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

That makes lots of sense, Suzanne.

message 12: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 252 comments Oh I think of one. KMM's To Tame Highland Warrior. Grimm was a Beserker but Jillian, his true mate, was able to calm & tame him.

message 13: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 164 comments Just finished up England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3) by Suzanne Enoch and it was kind of like that except she was his only inspiration to crawl out of the hidey hole he'd created for himself.

***spoiler***

There is an awesome scene at the end where he is going to shoot the bad guy in front of everyone and his anger and PTSD is overwhelming him and she just walks up to him and puts her arms around him and calms him down. *sigh* beautiful. :)

message 14: by Arch (new)

That's sweet Courtney.

message 15: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments @ Arch, Keep writing thos scenes. I love to read them.

@Courtney, well, thanks a lot! You've just added another book to my wish list.;)

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Aww! Great examples, Wan and Courtney!
Arch's stories rock!

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments You took my words LOL!

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "She is his other half, his peace. She makes him calm by her steadfast, unconditional love for him. Sometimes it's because she makes him want to be a better man."

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Great minds think alike! :)

message 19: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments LOL!!

message 20: by Arch (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Aww! Great examples, Wan and Courtney!
Arch's stories rock!"

You are too sweet Danielle. :)

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (kittiescardigansbooks) | 207 comments I seriously live for scenes like these. They are part of why I love romance novels so much! The hero on the brink who doesn't want to let down his lady. I also love when the big bad hero gets caught doing something embarrassing by the heroine and how uncomfortable they can get. You see another side of them. *sigh*

message 22: by Arch (new)

I love tension. The juicier the better. I like to feel what's going on between the hero and heroine.

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

The more tension the better!

message 24: by Arch (new)

Yes Danielle. Yes!

I love it when the hero gets in the heroine's face. Even if she's trying to stop him from hurting someone or doing something stupid. If he gets in her face and says Nooooo! That's tension.

Oh, I miss my baby Cop. I have to write about him, when I get back home.

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Sep 23, 2010 05:56AM) (new)

I like when the hero gets really jealous when a guy talks to the heroine, and he's contemplating violence. I don't why, but that gives me a thrill. There's something about a jealous/possessive hero. I also like when the hero is protecting the heroine. And I like when there is a lot of chemistry b/w the couple, but they don't act on, for whatever reason. I like the buildup.

message 26: by Arch (new)

Yes, Danielle, I agree. I like when the hero is jealous over another guy, because that guy is talking to the heroine or even if the heroine mentions his name and the hero wants to kill him. Don't let another guy treat the heroine wrong, the hero will definitely want to kill him.

Yes, Cop will walk in those shoes. Pretty soon.

I like to see when the hero is jealous/possessive - it's cute. Poor hero. He's going through. :)

I like when the hero is protecting the heroine too. I like when she understands that he's protecting her and not try to get in his way.

Oh, my Yes, I love when there's tension between the hero and heroine. He likes her, she likes him, but neither wants to admit it. The readers know better. :)

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

We are so on the same wavelength here, Arch. Can't wait to see Cop walking in those shoes!

message 28: by Arch (new)

You and me both Danielle. I don't know if I have told you what Cop is going to do. I think I've only told Rae, but I have a new scene that came to me in regards to the guy - Brandon and Cop and Sanjar in a dressing room at the mall. Sanjar will see Cop with another woman and she will not like that.

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Ooh, Can't Wait!

message 30: by Arch (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Ooh, Can't Wait!"

:). Me too!

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments Arch wrote: "Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Ooh, Can't Wait!"

:). Me too!"

Me three!

message 32: by Arch (new)

Mollie wrote: "Me three!"

lol.

I have to warn you ladies that Cop will have Sanjar's ex-boyfriend - Nathan, trapped in a parking garage and he has a large weapon in his hand. Let me just say it's a Michael Myer or Jason moment. Cop is not playing.

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Sounds very interesting!

message 34: by Arch (new)

The scene is coming up. If the Lord says the same, the installment should be up next week. It might be by Sunday, it depends how much writing I get down with my busy schedule.

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Cool! I'm writing on my story right now!

message 36: by Arch (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Cool! I'm writing on my story right now!"

Oh, I can't wait to see Alexei being bad. :)

message 37: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Me too. :)

message 38: by Arch (new)

I hope to see a little of the story later on today or at least tomorrow.

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I'm going to take a walk right now, and do some reading. But I'll get back into my story this afternoon.

message 40: by Arch (new)

Okay Danielle. No rush. Alexei better keep his shirt on. Karina will attack him. :)

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

LOL. :)

message 42: by Arch (new)

lol, Danielle. You know I am telling the truth. Those heroine can be innocent and bold at the same time. See how Sanjar took that bold move on Cop. :)

message 43: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments It seems like everyone agrees that this is a good thing, myself included. But how about the opposite???? The heroine is freaking out from whatever and only the hero can calm her down, not friends, not family.

What are your thoughts about this?????

message 44: by Mollie *scoutrmom* (last edited Sep 23, 2010 12:26PM) (new)

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 635 comments Sounds like she needs a good hearty slap.

Sometimes the hero is the only one with the guts to deliver it. Sometimes the hero is the only one who knows the true cause of the "freakout". Or perhaps she's just trying to get his attention. Perhaps it's just like what we discussed earlier, he provides her with peace and or/perspective.

I dunno.

And why is it that when it's a guy he's "seeing red" but if it's a woman she's "freaking out?" LOL

message 45: by Arch (new)

Darcy, I was going to do a thread about the heroine and the hero calming her down, but I decided against it, because a lot of readers read for the heroes.

Mollie, you are too funny. A hearty slap.

A lot of the heroes see red, because they be walking in "I'm going to hurt someone's" shoes.

message 46: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments I guess the woman could see read, but I don't know that I have meet many women that get that mad. As for freaking out I usually see it when someone has tried to kill them and they are freaking out, I know I would be. lol

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Sep 24, 2010 05:42AM) (new)

I like the caring heroes who are good with stressed-out heroines. I guess I would be okay with a heroine who is about to go postal, and the hero calms her down, so long as she's not cruel or witchy about it.

message 48: by Arch (new)

I like when the hero threatens to kill the heroine, especially, when she's freaking out and not listening to him. Say, they are on the run from the bad guys and she's bringing too much noise.

message 49: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 53 comments @ Darcy, I like the moments when the hero is the one who can step in and calm her down. I think because it's all about the connection between them and the hero's perceptiveness.

@ Mollie- LOL!! I could hear Sean Connery's deep accent "she needs a good slap across the mouth".

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

I like when the hero kisses/makes love to the heroine to distract her or to get her to be quiet. Of course, he gets some fringe benefits. :)