Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > Karen Chance - Cassandra Palmer series

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilla (new)

Lilla (readallover) | 4 comments I have book #2 (Claimed By Shadow) in this series but I was wondering if it's the type of series where I can start anywhere or if I need book #1 (Touch the Dark) under my belt first?

Thanks!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) No You'll need to read book 1. I started book two a little while back and had to stop and start book one. I normally don't read series in order but this one I had too.

message 3: by Lilla (new)

Lilla (readallover) | 4 comments Great, thanks! :) I'll be getting a hold of it next.

message 4: by Enjee (new)

Enjee | 33 comments If you liked the books by Karen Chance, perhaps you would be interested in the Goodreads "Karen Chance Fans" group:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. | 69 comments I liked this series. Thought book one was the weakest (still good but not great) and they got better as the series went along. I actually like the new spin off Dorina Basarab series a bit better. But it's best to finish the first four Cassie books before reading Dorina.

message 6: by Dija (new)

Dija Shannon wrote: "I liked this series. Thought book one was the weakest (still good but not great) and they got better as the series went along. I actually like the new spin off Dorina Basarab series a bit better. B..."

I read the first book of this series, but I hated it. It was too slow and there was way too much narration. Do things pick up the pace in the sequels? I would like to give CP another chance since so many people love it, but only if things get awesome, not better.

message 7: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) Sabrina Fair wrote: "Thanks for that tip. I'll make sure to finish #4 before I start Dorina. "

There's also a short story about Dorina's housemate that might help before reading Dorina #1. You'll at least have a clue of where Claire is during Dorina #1 and won't be completely surprised by her "transformation". The short is in On the Prowl.

message 8: by Heather in FL (last edited Oct 18, 2010 06:46AM) (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) Lazuline wrote: "I read the first book of this series, but I hated it. It was too slow and there was way too much narration. Do things pick up the pace in the sequels? I would like to give CP another chance since so many people love it, but only if things get awesome, not better. "

Personally, I love this series. The first book starts out slow, but every book after that one left me feeling exhausted, there was so much going on.

ETA: Exhausted in a good way... tons of action, aside from the Cassie/Pritkin/Mircea triangle.

message 9: by Enjee (new)

Enjee | 33 comments I liked the Dory series better, too. I guess I prefer "snarky" to "waif".

message 10: by Dija (new)

Dija Thanks for the replies, Heather and Sabrina. I think I'm motivated enough to start the second book in the series now and see if I like it better than book 1 and then decide whether or not I'll continue with this series. :)

message 11: by Kylie (new)

Kylie | 62 comments They get better and better as you read. It's just the non-stop action that deters people. You have to get used to it. It is urban fantasy after all.

Favorite line ever:

"You shaved my legs?!"- Pritkin

All I have to do is think about it and I crack up :)

message 12: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) Kylie wrote: "They get better and better as you read. It's just the non-stop action that deters people. You have to get used to it. It is urban fantasy after all.

Favorite line ever:

"You shaved my legs?!"..."

LMAO! That was AWESOME!

message 13: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 493 comments Kylie wrote: "They get better and better as you read. It's just the non-stop action that deters people. You have to get used to it. It is urban fantasy after all.

Favorite line ever:

"You shaved my legs?!"..."

That was a great scene, when she was in his body and complaining about his parts and how can he walk with his man parts, and the hair all over his body. those two play off each other so well.

message 14: by Enjee (new)

Enjee | 33 comments Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5) by Karen Chance
The book description was recently updated:

Cassandra Palmer recently defeated a god, which you'd think would buy a girl a little time off. But it doesn't work that way when your new job description is Pythia — the world's chief clairvoyant. Cassie is busier than ever, trying to learn about her power, preparing for her upcoming coronation, and figuring out her relationship with the enigmatic sexy master vampire, Mircea.

But someone doesn't want Cassie to become Pythia, and is willing to go to any lengths to make sure the coronation ceremony never happens—including attacking her mother before Cassie is even born.

message 15: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (heather_fl) Ooooo... intriguing!

message 16: by ☽ Rhiannon ✭ (new)

☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾ (pnr_list) | 133 comments What, no mention of Pritkin?!

message 17: by Enjee (new)

Enjee | 33 comments Chicks Kick Butt by Rachel Caine

There is a Dory short story "In Vino Veritas" in this anthology. Here is the offical blurb:

Chicks are awesome & never more so than when they are kicking some serious vampire/werewolf/demon/monster butt. Chicks Kick Butt is an anthology that features one of the best things about the urban fantasy genre--strong, independent, and intelligent heroines who are quite capable of solving their own problems, and slaying their own dragons (or demons, as the case may be).

New stories from Rachel Caine, L.A. Banks, Rachel Vincent, Karen Chance, Lilith Saintcrow, Cheyenne McCray, Susan Krinard, Jeanne Stein, Jenna Black, Elizabeth Vaughan, Carole Nelson, Douglas, P.N. Elrod, Nancy Holder

Amazon has the release date listed as June 7, 2011... the same day as "Hunt the Moon".